39-1 boots & medical waivers to wear different type of boots.

Started by mynetdude, October 03, 2009, 03:16:01 AM

mynetdude

I recently purchased a pair of Oakley black combat/field boots (US Standard Issue), I noticed the boots looked different than our typical leather boot combat boots that are issued with the BDUs.  I have an orthopedic disability that makes it difficult for me to wear the leather combat boots because the soles flex too much and standing in them long periods of time is quite bothersome.

So I bought me a pair of Oakley's and they are very nice, I wore them during my meeting (not in uniform of course) so I could get the feel for them and break them in.  My point is I looked in the 39-1 for medical waivers to use different footwear and I could not find it as I am pretty sure there used to be wording about it.

I checked the KB, nothing there let alone I couldn't figure out how to ask a question so instead I'm asking here.

RiverAux

No waiver needed.  So long as it is black, it can be made of just about anything. 

From Table 2-3.
QuoteBlack, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped
toe with or without perforated seam. Zipper or elastic inserts optional,
smooth or scotch-grained leather or man-made material, and may have a high gloss or patent finish.

The only time the boots need to be all leather is if you're wearing them with the fancy uniforms. 

IceNine

do they meet the standard?

They don't have to be combat boots or traditional jump boots they just have to be

Quote from: 39-1Black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped
toe with or without perforated seam. Zipper or elastic inserts optional,
smooth or scotch-grained leather or man-made material, and may have a
high gloss or patent finish
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mynetdude

I did read that, so that's why they took out the medical waiver wording.

I don't know what a patent finish is, but I think it meets standards it has speed lacing its 8" tall (I think the minimum is 6")

I can't shine these ones as there isn't any leather to shine.  Too bad these can't be used with the blues, because these are by far the most comfortable boots (other than a civilian pair I have).

I'd be curious to see if Oakley's Gov't sales has dress boots appropriate for the AF blues.

mynetdude

Oakley gov't sales doesn't carry an all leather boot, they carry an assault shoe which wouldn't meet regs for wearing with AF blues... the dress shoes I have are good but they hurt my feet as well any ideas of where I can get quality comfortable boots for use with the AF blues?

billford1

When I consider the boots issued to me by the Army I wish I could have had boots then like the Bates GI type boots with zip up sides that I just got. I was told they're popular with the Police. They work great. I know that's not what this thread is about but if the modified boots with an orthotic insole are black and look like G.I. boots they should be fine.

mynetdude

Quote from: billford1 on October 03, 2009, 03:41:11 AM
When I consider the boots issued to me by the Army I wish I could have had boots then like the Bates GI type boots with zip up sides that I just got. I was told they're popular with the Police. They work great. I know that's not what this thread is about but if the modified boots are black and look like G.I. boots that should be fine.

For the AF blues? I don't hardly think you're off topic, good suggestion I'll show you what I have now:

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Product_Detail.cfm?id=21

^^ I plan to wear those with all my field uniforms BBDU and BDU, I would love to wear it with everything else but I can see its not within regs for AF blues or the CSU, etc.

EDIT:

BTW I do have orthotic inserts, they hurt like I'm on fire when wearing the army combat boots partly due to the fact there isn't enough room for my feet to wiggle and just the way the boots work I doubt I will need orthotic inserts with these boots but I do need to use them with my civvie boots though.

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

billford1

mynetdude

Yeah spendy... I've spent just as much for civvie boots and shoes.

Can anyone recommend boots that might be more comfortable than the low quarter dress shoes for AF blues and CSUs and all those dressy uniforms? I don't mind paying a good price $100 if it means getting the comfort/support I need since dressy uniforms require all leather.  I looked at some G.I. boots they remind me of the army combat boots that you get with the existing BDUs

Hawk200

Quote from: mynetdude on October 03, 2009, 04:25:08 AM

Can anyone recommend boots that might be more comfortable than the low quarter dress shoes for AF blues and CSUs and all those dressy uniforms? I don't mind paying a good price $100 if it means getting the comfort/support I need since dressy uniforms require all leather.  I looked at some G.I. boots they remind me of the army combat boots that you get with the existing BDUs

I wear a plain black set of Ropers. All I do is take some leather dye to the stitching, and it's good to go. I've only had a few people even notice that they weren't actually low quarters, they usually key in on the fact that there no laces. They shine pretty well, too.

As to the legality, it fits the criteria for a "dress boot" in 39-1. Ropers and Wellingtons are mentioned for the flightsuit as well.

They're comfy, and you can probably pick up a pair for about $70 to $80. One thing you need to keep in mind is no decorative stitching. If they don't look like a set of low quarters without laces, then they don't meet the applicable criteria.

Another thing is no pointy toes. Ropers, and most Wellingtons as far as I know, do not have pointed toes. The front is gonna be the same rounded appearance as low quarters.

mynetdude

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 03, 2009, 05:43:15 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on October 03, 2009, 04:25:08 AM

I wear a plain black set of Ropers. All I do is take some leather dye to the stitching, and it's good to go. I've only had a few people even notice that they weren't actually low quarters, they usually key in on the fact that there no laces. They shine pretty well, too.

As to the legality, it fits the criteria for a "dress boot" in 39-1. Ropers and Wellingtons are mentioned for the flightsuit as well.

They're comfy, and you can probably pick up a pair for about $70 to $80. One thing you need to keep in mind is no decorative stitching. If they don't look like a set of low quarters without laces, then they don't meet the applicable criteria.

Another thing is no pointy toes. Ropers, and most Wellingtons as far as I know, do not have pointed toes. The front is gonna be the same rounded appearance as low quarters.

ah yes I saw in another thread you mentioend ropers, any chance I'll find ropers or wellingtons with laces though? (I'll look around) I prefer to have laces to help support the ankle which is another reason I got those Oakley combat boots... even though the sidewalls of the boots are padded they provide me with more ankle support which I need which is another reason low quarters are a problem for me.

mynetdude

Would this work for wearing with AF blues and non AF uniforms? Its not low quarters I see, neither are the BDU army combat boots that can be worn with the blues. This one has a plain toe and looks as if I could wear them with AF BDUs as well as BBDUs and other uniforms but I can't be so sure, however this is more of what I need for stability/support for my feet.

http://tinyurl.com/ycbog2e is the website I saw it at so any advice/input would be much considered :).

SarDragon

IMHO, they would work for utility uniforms, but not for dress uniforms.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vento

QuoteWould this work for wearing with AF blues and non AF uniforms? Its not low quarters I see, neither are the BDU army combat boots that can be worn with the blues. This one has a plain toe and looks as if I could wear them with AF BDUs as well as BBDUs and other uniforms but I can't be so sure, however this is more of what I need for stability/support for my feet.

http://tinyurl.com/ycbog2e is the website I saw it at so any advice/input would be much considered .

It would not work for the AF Blue uniform.

IMHO, the following shoes coupled with a good heal seat does the trick for my plantar fasciitis problem and they are within regulation for the AF Blue uniform:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens/shoes/widewidth/dress/PRD~163319/Dockers+Gordon+Shoes++Wide.jsp# or
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens/shoes/widewidth/dress/PRD~471639/Deer+Stags+Times+Dress+Shoes++Wide.jsp
http://www.amazingfootcare.com/heelseat.html?gclid=CPP2v7iaqZ0CFRQpawodMi-hjg

I mentioned plantar fasciitis because you've mentioned that most soles flex too much, and it just happen that the heal seat or pad for plantar fasciitis are usually HARD. Worth checking with your doctor.

mynetdude

Quote from: vento on October 06, 2009, 08:03:48 PM
QuoteWould this work for wearing with AF blues and non AF uniforms? Its not low quarters I see, neither are the BDU army combat boots that can be worn with the blues. This one has a plain toe and looks as if I could wear them with AF BDUs as well as BBDUs and other uniforms but I can't be so sure, however this is more of what I need for stability/support for my feet.

http://tinyurl.com/ycbog2e is the website I saw it at so any advice/input would be much considered .

It would not work for the AF Blue uniform.

IMHO, the following shoes coupled with a good heal seat does the trick for my plantar fasciitis problem and they are within regulation for the AF Blue uniform:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens/shoes/widewidth/dress/PRD~163319/Dockers+Gordon+Shoes++Wide.jsp# or
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens/shoes/widewidth/dress/PRD~471639/Deer+Stags+Times+Dress+Shoes++Wide.jsp
http://www.amazingfootcare.com/heelseat.html?gclid=CPP2v7iaqZ0CFRQpawodMi-hjg

I mentioned plantar fasciitis because you've mentioned that most soles flex too much, and it just happen that the heal seat or pad for plantar fasciitis are usually HARD. Worth checking with your doctor.

too bad the ones I looked at wouldn't work with AF blues :( the links you posted are at least better than the oxfords they give out but they are lacking the tall ankle that I need (hi-top) although these MIGHT do the trick but I doubt it.