Woodland Boonie Approved for Wear?

Started by Senior, February 14, 2009, 11:28:44 PM

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 08:09:20 PM
snip
That goes back to the original post by Eclipse...the task guide does not trump 39-1 as per the regs fundamentalists.  Even other regulations don't trump 39-1 according to them.
It's not according to the reg fundamentalists. CAPM 39-1 is THE source for uniform guidance per CAPM 39-1.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, para 1-1This publication is the sole source for wear instructions and authorized items for various uniform combinations as prescribed within.

Eclipse

Quote from: capchiro on February 25, 2009, 07:45:59 PM
Wuzafuzz, I think your answer is in 39-1, 1-5, it pretty well notes that all members will have a basic uniform and that it is their own responsibility to so have..

Correct.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, 1-5
1-5. Uniform Combinations. Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow
for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip
himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members
will equip themselves with the basic uniform.
The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets
and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below. Members may obtain and wear
the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis. Uniform clothing may
be altered to improve fit. However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as
designed. It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.
Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by
acquiring surplus uniforms. Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform. A commander
may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the
uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet. The omission of a specific item or appearance standard
does not automatically permit its wear.

Note it says "will", not should, then goes on to define what the "MBSU" is for various categories.

a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue
belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch,
collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem. Female: Short-sleeve light
blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag.
Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight
cap emblem.

b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform (senior members only). Male: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt;
gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.
Female: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks or skirt; plain black shoes. Insignia: CAP
nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.

So, the actual MBSU is the USAF-Style service dress, however since not all of our members can wear USAF uniforms, the alternative is the Aviator whites.  Its not, the golf shirt, though even I generally push that combo for new members because of the cost.

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 07:34:05 PM
Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on February 25, 2009, 06:08:20 PMWhy?  How does this keep the team safer?  Will they hit their head on a tree?

Here in Southern Nevada trees are not nearly as dangerous as falling rocks.

It also serves the purpose of quickly identifying the ground teams as ground teams, improves their visibility (I would really like to get hunter orange helmets but I don't think I can stretch the reg that far).

The tree thing makes sense.  We would use our helmets to protect us from falling ice here in ND  :D.  For some reason I thought the answer was going to involve a rock cliff and repelling rope.  Although cool, that would be a little extreme for a CAP GT unless we are taking it to the next level.

In regards to seeing the team from the air, isn't that what the orange vests are for?  Yes, gear covers them up, etc, but I don't quite get the visibility thing.  There are other ways to identify a ground team- signal mirrors for instance.  Plus if they are in woods deep enough to watch for falling logs, isn't it fair to say they would not be visible from the air unless they found a pretty decent sized clearing?
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2009, 08:15:33 PM
Quote from: capchiro on February 25, 2009, 07:45:59 PM
Wuzafuzz, I think your answer is in 39-1, 1-5, it pretty well notes that all members will have a basic uniform and that it is their own responsibility to so have..

Correct.

1-5. Uniform Combinations. Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow
for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip
himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members
will equip themselves with the basic uniform.
The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets
and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below. Members may obtain and wear
the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis. Uniform clothing may
be altered to improve fit. However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as
designed. It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.
Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by
acquiring surplus uniforms. Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform. A commander
may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the
uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet. The omission of a specific item or appearance standard
does not automatically permit its wear.

Note it says "will", not should, then goes on to define what the "MBSU" is for various categories.

a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue
belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch,
collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem. Female: Short-sleeve light
blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag.
Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight
cap emblem.

b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform (senior members only). Male: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt;
gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.
Female: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks or skirt; plain black shoes. Insignia: CAP
nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.

So, the actual MBSU is the USAF-Style service dress, however since not all of our members can wear USAF uniforms, the alternative is the Aviator whites.  Its not, the golf shirt, though even I generally push that combo for new members because of the cost.

Right you are.  How I read past that part and found the later reference to cadets is beyond me.  DOH!  Now I know.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

I was in CAP about 7 years before I noticed it, and based on SOP for new members, it remains a pretty closely held secret despite the fact that's its near the top of the manual.

Ask the majority of members what the basic minimum uniform is, and the vast majority will say the golf shirt.

"That Others May Zoom"