Woodland Boonie Approved for Wear?

Started by Senior, February 14, 2009, 11:28:44 PM

Senior

Had a cadet at an activity wearing a woodland boonie hat.  Has the AF
approved the wear of the woodland boonie? When?

Hawk200

Not as of yet, at least I doubt if anyone here has seen it. If cadet has proof, he/she needs to provide it from a reliable source.

caprr275

Not for general wear. Some wings have approved them for special events though...idk how "legal" that is

RogueLeader

It's not legal, but as it stands. . . I have one siting on my shelf.  Won't say if I've worn it on an activity though ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Blue boonie hats were approved for field wear only, over the blue field uniform only.

Any other wear of any other kind of boonie is outside the authorization of the regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

es_g0d

I'm trying to think of a time where wearing a boonie hat would be a good idea in CAP and drawing a blank.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

RogueLeader

Quote from: es_g0d on February 15, 2009, 02:27:10 AM
I'm trying to think of a time where wearing a boonie hat would be a good idea in CAP and drawing a blank.
Heratic. >:D

;)

I know what you mean, and that I had mine before i joined.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: Senior on February 14, 2009, 11:28:44 PM
Had a cadet at an activity wearing a woodland boonie hat.  Has the AF
approved the wear of the woodland boonie? When?

The AF actually rejected the woodland boonie with AF-style uniforms.  So CAP authorized what they could themselves: blue boonies with the Blue BDU (aka: the CAP distinctive field uniform).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

D2SK

GT Mission during the middle of June in the Arizona desert. Yes, I'll have my boonie on, thank you very much.  ;-)
Lighten up, Francis.

Climbnsink

Glider activities, take a look at how glider pilots dress there is a reason for that.  I wear boonie type hats all the time when I'm out in the sun. 

Pylon

Quote from: Climbnsink on February 16, 2009, 12:22:44 AM
Glider activities, take a look at how glider pilots dress there is a reason for that.  I wear boonie type hats all the time when I'm out in the sun. 

Hmm... when I was flying in RAF gliders in England, even at the height of summer we managed in the standard green zoom bags (strapped with parachute packs nonetheless).  And the standard blue ballcaps provided sufficient sun protection.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Boonies are handy. Since I got to this side of the world, it's the only thing I've worn. Even in cold weather, it's useful. I'll miss it when I get back home.

teesquared

ON duty as Flight Line Marshaller - the string keeps the hat from blowing off in the prop wash.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Eclipse

Quote from: teesquared on February 25, 2009, 01:05:41 AM

On duty as Flight Line Marshaller - the string keeps the hat from blowing off in the prop wash.

In most cases no headgear is allowed on flight lines, string or not.

Regardless, the "safety factor" of the string does not negate the prohibition with camo.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2009, 01:22:17 AM

On duty as Flight Line Marshaller - the string keeps the hat from blowing off in the prop wash.

Regardless, the "safety factor" of the string does not negate the prohibition with camo.

That "safety factor" is bull. To have it tight enough to actually keep that thing on your head would be extremely uncomfortable.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arajca

Additionally, The AF denied the safety argument as well.

Climbnsink

When is the blue boonie OK?  Just with BBDUs What about the Polo shirt? 
I've flown glider O-rides in Polos wearing a small brimmed white boonie.  Ball caps are not recommended in gliders for two reasons.  One the metal button on top will hurt if your head hits the canopy in turbulence and may crack the canopy.  And the long bill obscures too much sky in thermals.

Always Ready

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2009, 01:22:17 AM

FYI (Not a reg, but guidance from National): http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/emergency_services/operations/aircrew__flightline_personnel_training_materials.cfm
Quote from: Flightline Reference Text
3.5 Hats
Hats should be worn to provide protection from the sun, but the following rules should be followed:
♦ The hat must have a retaining device to help secure the hat. If your hat does not have one, it can be
   fabricated (e.g., two small alligator clips on a short piece of cord; one clip is attached to the hat in
   the back and the other is attached to the collar).
♦ Boonie hats offer the most solar protection and have a sewn in retention strap. If boonie hats are
   used the strap must be kept tight under the chin to be effective.
♦ Should a hat be blown from your head, let it go. Under NO circumstance should a Marshaller chase
   a hat or run on the flight line.

Eclipse

^ an FLM manual does not trump 39-1, it could potentially tighten a reg, but can't authorize a unifrom piece not authorized already in the uniform manual.

As to boonies w/ Polo golf shirts, there's no guidance and no requirement.  If you want to wear a gardening hat over them, and no one in command says not to, knock yourself out.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cherokeepilot

Folks..........
Did I miss something???  Who is the bozo allowing hats, caps, scarves, and other prohibited items out on a flight line???  I don't care who, but someone who wears a cap, hat, or similar is violating every safety rule and prohibition for conduct on the flight line.  I do not care what the CAP rules, regulations, nor tradition that would say caps on the line, we deal with active units almost everyday and the basic rule is cap and hats off on the flightline.  Sorry for my approach, but I have been at the aftermath of someone taking on a prop under power.

The Boonie hat makes sense to keep the sun off your neck while the baseball cap will not......oh well.......since I have my annual skin cancer check, I've gotten a bit more cautious in my old age.  I guess that I'm paying for my sins of running around in the sun without my shirt.  I think that I must have been tough back then.
Molōn labe!
73s

Eclipse

Quote from: Cherokeepilot on February 25, 2009, 04:49:14 AM
Folks..........
Did I miss something???  Who is the bozo allowing hats, caps, scarves, and other prohibited items out on a flight line???  I don't care who, but someone who wears a cap, hat, or similar is violating every safety rule and prohibition for conduct on the flight line.  I do not care what the CAP rules, regulations, nor tradition that would say caps on the line, we deal with active units almost everyday and the basic rule is cap and hats off on the flightline.  Sorry for my approach, but I have been at the aftermath of someone taking on a prop under power.

I've been involved in more than one stale-mated conversation between safety officers who are arguing sun exposure vs. FOD issues.

Sun screen and a shaded area to hide between aircraft would seem to be the answer, but, you know, that's a logical compromise...

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2009, 03:07:07 AM
^ an FLM manual does not trump 39-1, it could potentially tighten a reg, but can't authorize a unifrom piece not authorized already in the uniform manual.

True. I meant it more in the context that you can wear headgear on the flightline (i.e. BDU cover with some sort of retention device that won't easilyget pulled off). As a FLS (Flight Line Supervisor), I would only allow this in the worst situations, like when there is no shade area for people to get out of the heat. Sunscreen, plenty of water, and breaks are effective substitutes for a cover in most cases. Just my 2 cents

Quote from: Cherokeepilot on February 25, 2009, 04:49:14 AM
Folks..........
At some general aviation airports, it is a common sight and at others it is not. I've also been on a few military flightlines where the situation warranted hats, scarves, etc. NAS Keflavik, Iceland was one of them. Snow, wind, rain, and you name it at, anytime of the year made it a safety issue not to have something covering your extremities to reduce exposure. They just made sure it was secure from not blowing away with 60 mph gusts. YMMV

Not to get off topic, if you and I quote: "I do not care what the CAP rules, regulations,..." you are sending the wrong message to everyone. I really hope this was just misworded. If you are at a CAP activity, following CAP regulations is mandatory.

Cherokeepilot

Safety first above all.............
The restriction on the caps and hats is USAF.  Wear of alternative head covering is allowable under certain circumstances. 

The real question of caps and hats boils down to place and circumstances.  If someone has a cap which blows into my turbine powered superduper engine, my insurance will never stop with the lawyers........and CAP is not gonna cover it.  The socalled regs are not immunity.

Besides the CAP regs are not federal regs nor DOD regs, only by laws which we agree to abide and tolerate.
73s

Always Ready

Quote from: Cherokeepilot on February 25, 2009, 05:35:05 AM
Safety first above all.............
The restriction on the caps and hats is USAF.  Wear of alternative head covering is allowable under certain circumstances. 

The real question of caps and hats boils down to place and circumstances.  If someone has a cap which blows into my turbine powered superduper engine, my insurance will never stop with the lawyers........and CAP is not gonna cover it.  The socalled regs are not immunity.

Besides the CAP regs are not federal regs nor DOD regs, only by laws which we agree to abide and tolerate.
73s
I agree safety is first.

Most of NAS Keflavik's air ops was AF. 85th Group...fighters, helos, tanker, etc. etc. They wore hats, scarves, etc. on the flightline along with Navy, Marine Corps and the occasional Army personnel. Those items were secured so they couldn't blow away. The no hats on the flightline is NOT a hard and fast, no exceptions rule. Otherwise when the President lands at Andrews AFB on AF1 he would not be greeted by an AF officer wearing the bus driver cap. Also, what about helmets? They are carried in hand by AF pilots all the time. What if they dropped it and it got sucked into an engine??? I understand where you are coming from, but there are exception to that rule.

Since "CAP regs are not federal regs nor DOD regs," I can start wearing ABUs to CAP meetings right? Nope. CAP regs are to be followed in CAP, just like AF regs are to be followed in the AF. While we are the USAF Auxiliary, we are not in the AF. We have our own regs to follow.

lordmonar

Field gear.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 08:46:44 AM

Field gear.

Headgear is a uniform item not field gear. As to the no hats, no exception rule, on my flight line I do allow stocking caps when it's cold. Other than that my first experience was 120 degrees in 90% humidity with a hot sun and no hats. We survived. If you can't hack it perhaps you should find something else to do that it's so stressful.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

wuzafuzz

Wow, you'd think we are arguing politics or religion.  The intolerance for other peoples opinions and experiences is somewhat disheartening.  You'd think we could agree to disagree without calling BS, bozo, or suggesting people are wimps if they feel the need for boonie hats for sun protection.

The current fact is that blue boonie hats are approved for the BBDU.  Some people like that fact, others don't.  Our individual opinions neither validate or change the established regulation. Flightlines have their rules too, which also need to be followed.

Incidentally, I used to work in airport operations (GA airport).  Hats were everywhere on the flightline.  People were smart enough not to wear them around jet intakes.  In 6 years there were no reported problems.  I've heard tales of people chasing lost caps into props, perhaps that's why we have a rule.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on February 25, 2009, 11:15:10 AM

Field gear.

Headgear is a uniform item not field gear. As to the no hats, no exception rule, on my flight line I do allow stocking caps when it's cold. Other than that my first experience was 120 degrees in 90% humidity with a hot sun and no hats. We survived. If you can't hack it perhaps you should find something else to do that it's so stressful.

I am not addressing that issue at all.  The argument was that the SQTR Task Guides don't trump 39-1....but once you enter the "field gear" areana 39-1 goes out the door.  And not just in CAP.

Now we can argue all day long about the safety benifit vs hazards of hats on a flight line all day long.  But that is not really the issue.  If you the FLM or the Safety guy you make the call for your flight line....got not problem with that.

But the base reality is.....We trum 39-1 all day long when we go to the field....as we should...we should be using equipment, procedures and clothing that keeps us safe and gets the mission done.  Looking unfiromed and professional is a plus but secondary to those two primary principles.

Having said that.....I don't let my GTs or FLM crews wear boonies....But I am in the process to push for our GTs to wear white hard hats while in the field...not authorised by 39-1 but for our application gets the mission done and helps keep my teams safer.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 04:55:51 PM
But I am in the process to push for our GTs to wear white hard hats while in the field...not authorised by 39-1 but for our application gets the mission done and helps keep my teams safer.

Just throw an Emergency Services Decal on the front and voila, you have a "white helmet liner" which is authorized by 39-1 for use by emergency services personnel. (Table 6-4 line 9)

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

wuzafuzz

Quote from: davidsinn on February 25, 2009, 11:15:10 AM

Field gear.

I am not addressing that issue at all.  The argument was that the SQTR Task Guides don't trump 39-1....but once you enter the "field gear" areana 39-1 goes out the door.  And not just in CAP.

Now we can argue all day long about the safety benifit vs hazards of hats on a flight line all day long.  But that is not really the issue.  If you the FLM or the Safety guy you make the call for your flight line....got not problem with that.

But the base reality is.....We trum 39-1 all day long when we go to the field....as we should...we should be using equipment, procedures and clothing that keeps us safe and gets the mission done.  Looking unfiromed and professional is a plus but secondary to those two primary principles.

Having said that.....I don't let my GTs or FLM crews wear boonies....But I am in the process to push for our GTs to wear white hard hats while in the field...not authorised by 39-1 but for our application gets the mission done and helps keep my teams safer.

You don't "let" your GT's wear boonies?  GT as in ground team?  So if someone shows up with a blue boonie, which is authorized, what do you tell them?  What's your justification?

LtCol Hooligan

Why?  How does this keep the team safer?  Will they hit their head on a tree?
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Eclipse

Quote from: wuzafuzz on February 25, 2009, 05:51:50 PM
You don't "let" your GT's wear boonies?  GT as in ground team?  So if someone shows up with a blue boonie, which is authorized, what do you tell them?  What's your justification?

All approved uniform items are worn at the discretion of the unit or activity commander.  Boonies are only approved for field use, so if a member shows up wearing one to a unit meeting, it gets stowed.

In the field, if the CC decides its an inappropriate piece of headgear, for whatever reason, its gets stowed.  Since no headgear is required (only suggested) for the BBDU, you can't fall back on that.

For cadets and seniors the minimum required uniform is the basic service uniform - SS blues for cadets, and aviator whites for seniors (which, BTW are required for seniors, read 39-1 before you respond).

While we can't mandate cadets wear anything other than the free BSU, unless those items are provided to them, we can certainly preclude the wear of anything inappropriate, just as we can dictate the manner in which anything they do wear is worn and configured.

As to seniors, though the regs say that commanders should be sensitive to the issue, commanders are free to dictate the UOD as they see fit. (and yes, members are free to vote with their feet if they don't like it).

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2009, 06:20:56 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on February 25, 2009, 05:51:50 PM

All approved uniform items are worn at the discretion of the unit or activity commander.  Boonies are only approved for field use, so if a member shows up wearing one to a unit meeting, it gets stowed.

In the field, if the CC decides its an inappropriate piece of headgear, for whatever reason, its gets stowed.  Since no headgear is required (only suggested) for the BBDU, you can't fall back on that.

For cadets and seniors the minimum required uniform is the basic service uniform - SS blues for cadets, and aviator whites for seniors (which, BTW are required for seniors, read 39-1 before you respond).

While we can't mandate cadets wear anything other than the free BSU, unless those items are provided to them, we can certainly preclude the wear of anything inappropriate, just as we can dictate the manner in which anything they do wear is worn and configured.

As to seniors, though the regs say that commanders should be sensitive to the issue, commanders are free to dictate the UOD as they see fit. (and yes, members are free to vote with their feet if they don't like it).

OK, I'll bite.  Where in 39-1 do you find the requirement for senior members to have aviator whites?  I looked before responding and the references I find (4-1 and 4-2a) say that senior member MAY wear the aviator whites.  The only language referring to requirements states what rules we must comply with IF we wear them.  Also, section 1-5 references the requirement for cadets to posses the Minimum Basic Service Uniform, but does not list senior members.

The assertion that the unit of activity commander has discretion over all items worn seems like a bit of a stretch.  Section 1-2 describes Command Responsibility with regard to uniforms.  Nothing there mentions the right or duty to invent their own rules.  Commanders are expected to ensure uniformed members present a professional, well-groomed appearance, that reflects credit upon CAP.  Absent a real safety concern, outlawing items specifically authorized by 39-1 would seem to violate the spirit of the regulations.

It's possible I missed something somewhere.  If so, this will be a learning experience.

lordmonar

Quote from: wuzafuzz on February 25, 2009, 05:51:50 PMYou don't "let" your GT's wear boonies?  GT as in ground team?  So if someone shows up with a blue boonie, which is authorized, what do you tell them?  What's your justification?

Opps...no I meant I don't let them wear woodland boonie hats.

lordmonar

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 25, 2009, 05:08:32 PM
But I am in the process to push for our GTs to wear white hard hats while in the field...not authorised by 39-1 but for our application gets the mission done and helps keep my teams safer.

Just throw an Emergency Services Decal on the front and voila, you have a "white helmet liner" which is authorized by 39-1 for use by emergency services personnel. (Table 6-4 line 9)

Hard hats are NOT helmet liner....per the reg fundamentalists....."if it is not approved for wear you can't wear it" crowd.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 07:29:32 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on February 25, 2009, 05:51:50 PMYou don't "let" your GT's wear boonies?  GT as in ground team?  So if someone shows up with a blue boonie, which is authorized, what do you tell them?  What's your justification?

Opps...no I meant I don't let them wear woodland boonie hats.

Clears that up!  Thanks for the clarification.   I'm with ya there.  It's against the rules.  That's that.  :-)

lordmonar

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on February 25, 2009, 06:08:20 PMWhy?  How does this keep the team safer?  Will they hit their head on a tree?

Here in Southern Nevada trees are not nearly as dangerous as falling rocks.

It also serves the purpose of quickly identifying the ground teams as ground teams, improves their visibility (I would really like to get hunter orange helmets but I don't think I can stretch the reg that far).

_

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 07:31:19 PM

Hard hats are NOT helmet liner....per the reg fundamentalists....."if it is not approved for wear you can't wear it" crowd.

From the task guide: "The BDU cap may be replaced by a hard hat or bright colored cap based on mission needs."

capchiro

Wuzafuzz, I think your answer is in 39-1, 1-5, it pretty well notes that all members will have a basic uniform and that it is their own responsibility to so have..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

lordmonar

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on February 25, 2009, 07:40:45 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 07:31:19 PM

From the task guide: "The BDU cap may be replaced by a hard hat or bright colored cap based on mission needs."

That goes back to the original post by Eclipse...the task guide does not trump 39-1 as per the regs fundamentalists.  Even other regulations don't trump 39-1 according to them.

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 08:09:20 PM
snip
That goes back to the original post by Eclipse...the task guide does not trump 39-1 as per the regs fundamentalists.  Even other regulations don't trump 39-1 according to them.
It's not according to the reg fundamentalists. CAPM 39-1 is THE source for uniform guidance per CAPM 39-1.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, para 1-1This publication is the sole source for wear instructions and authorized items for various uniform combinations as prescribed within.

Eclipse

Quote from: capchiro on February 25, 2009, 07:45:59 PM
Wuzafuzz, I think your answer is in 39-1, 1-5, it pretty well notes that all members will have a basic uniform and that it is their own responsibility to so have..

Correct.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, 1-5
1-5. Uniform Combinations. Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow
for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip
himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members
will equip themselves with the basic uniform.
The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets
and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below. Members may obtain and wear
the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis. Uniform clothing may
be altered to improve fit. However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as
designed. It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.
Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by
acquiring surplus uniforms. Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform. A commander
may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the
uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet. The omission of a specific item or appearance standard
does not automatically permit its wear.

Note it says "will", not should, then goes on to define what the "MBSU" is for various categories.

a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue
belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch,
collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem. Female: Short-sleeve light
blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag.
Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight
cap emblem.

b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform (senior members only). Male: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt;
gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.
Female: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks or skirt; plain black shoes. Insignia: CAP
nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.

So, the actual MBSU is the USAF-Style service dress, however since not all of our members can wear USAF uniforms, the alternative is the Aviator whites.  Its not, the golf shirt, though even I generally push that combo for new members because of the cost.

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: lordmonar on February 25, 2009, 07:34:05 PM
Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on February 25, 2009, 06:08:20 PMWhy?  How does this keep the team safer?  Will they hit their head on a tree?

Here in Southern Nevada trees are not nearly as dangerous as falling rocks.

It also serves the purpose of quickly identifying the ground teams as ground teams, improves their visibility (I would really like to get hunter orange helmets but I don't think I can stretch the reg that far).

The tree thing makes sense.  We would use our helmets to protect us from falling ice here in ND  :D.  For some reason I thought the answer was going to involve a rock cliff and repelling rope.  Although cool, that would be a little extreme for a CAP GT unless we are taking it to the next level.

In regards to seeing the team from the air, isn't that what the orange vests are for?  Yes, gear covers them up, etc, but I don't quite get the visibility thing.  There are other ways to identify a ground team- signal mirrors for instance.  Plus if they are in woods deep enough to watch for falling logs, isn't it fair to say they would not be visible from the air unless they found a pretty decent sized clearing?
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2009, 08:15:33 PM
Quote from: capchiro on February 25, 2009, 07:45:59 PM

Correct.

1-5. Uniform Combinations. Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow
for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip
himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members
will equip themselves with the basic uniform.
The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets
and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below. Members may obtain and wear
the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis. Uniform clothing may
be altered to improve fit. However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as
designed. It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.
Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by
acquiring surplus uniforms. Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform. A commander
may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the
uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet. The omission of a specific item or appearance standard
does not automatically permit its wear.

Note it says "will", not should, then goes on to define what the "MBSU" is for various categories.

a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue
belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch,
collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem. Female: Short-sleeve light
blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag.
Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight
cap emblem.

b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform (senior members only). Male: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt;
gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.
Female: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks or skirt; plain black shoes. Insignia: CAP
nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.

So, the actual MBSU is the USAF-Style service dress, however since not all of our members can wear USAF uniforms, the alternative is the Aviator whites.  Its not, the golf shirt, though even I generally push that combo for new members because of the cost.

Right you are.  How I read past that part and found the later reference to cadets is beyond me.  DOH!  Now I know.

Eclipse

I was in CAP about 7 years before I noticed it, and based on SOP for new members, it remains a pretty closely held secret despite the fact that's its near the top of the manual.

Ask the majority of members what the basic minimum uniform is, and the vast majority will say the golf shirt.

"That Others May Zoom"