Woodland Boonie Approved for Wear?

Started by Senior, February 14, 2009, 11:28:44 PM

Senior

Had a cadet at an activity wearing a woodland boonie hat.  Has the AF
approved the wear of the woodland boonie? When?

Hawk200

Not as of yet, at least I doubt if anyone here has seen it. If cadet has proof, he/she needs to provide it from a reliable source.

caprr275

Not for general wear. Some wings have approved them for special events though...idk how "legal" that is

RogueLeader

It's not legal, but as it stands. . . I have one siting on my shelf.  Won't say if I've worn it on an activity though ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Blue boonie hats were approved for field wear only, over the blue field uniform only.

Any other wear of any other kind of boonie is outside the authorization of the regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

es_g0d

I'm trying to think of a time where wearing a boonie hat would be a good idea in CAP and drawing a blank.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

RogueLeader

Quote from: es_g0d on February 15, 2009, 02:27:10 AM
I'm trying to think of a time where wearing a boonie hat would be a good idea in CAP and drawing a blank.
Heratic. >:D

;)

I know what you mean, and that I had mine before i joined.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: Senior on February 14, 2009, 11:28:44 PM
Had a cadet at an activity wearing a woodland boonie hat.  Has the AF
approved the wear of the woodland boonie? When?

The AF actually rejected the woodland boonie with AF-style uniforms.  So CAP authorized what they could themselves: blue boonies with the Blue BDU (aka: the CAP distinctive field uniform).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

D2SK

GT Mission during the middle of June in the Arizona desert. Yes, I'll have my boonie on, thank you very much.  ;-)
Lighten up, Francis.

Climbnsink

Glider activities, take a look at how glider pilots dress there is a reason for that.  I wear boonie type hats all the time when I'm out in the sun. 

Pylon

Quote from: Climbnsink on February 16, 2009, 12:22:44 AM
Glider activities, take a look at how glider pilots dress there is a reason for that.  I wear boonie type hats all the time when I'm out in the sun. 

Hmm... when I was flying in RAF gliders in England, even at the height of summer we managed in the standard green zoom bags (strapped with parachute packs nonetheless).  And the standard blue ballcaps provided sufficient sun protection.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Boonies are handy. Since I got to this side of the world, it's the only thing I've worn. Even in cold weather, it's useful. I'll miss it when I get back home.

teesquared

ON duty as Flight Line Marshaller - the string keeps the hat from blowing off in the prop wash.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Eclipse

Quote from: teesquared on February 25, 2009, 01:05:41 AM

On duty as Flight Line Marshaller - the string keeps the hat from blowing off in the prop wash.

In most cases no headgear is allowed on flight lines, string or not.

Regardless, the "safety factor" of the string does not negate the prohibition with camo.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2009, 01:22:17 AM

On duty as Flight Line Marshaller - the string keeps the hat from blowing off in the prop wash.

Regardless, the "safety factor" of the string does not negate the prohibition with camo.

That "safety factor" is bull. To have it tight enough to actually keep that thing on your head would be extremely uncomfortable.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arajca

Additionally, The AF denied the safety argument as well.

Climbnsink

When is the blue boonie OK?  Just with BBDUs What about the Polo shirt? 
I've flown glider O-rides in Polos wearing a small brimmed white boonie.  Ball caps are not recommended in gliders for two reasons.  One the metal button on top will hurt if your head hits the canopy in turbulence and may crack the canopy.  And the long bill obscures too much sky in thermals.

Always Ready

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2009, 01:22:17 AM

FYI (Not a reg, but guidance from National): http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/emergency_services/operations/aircrew__flightline_personnel_training_materials.cfm
Quote from: Flightline Reference Text
3.5 Hats
Hats should be worn to provide protection from the sun, but the following rules should be followed:
♦ The hat must have a retaining device to help secure the hat. If your hat does not have one, it can be
   fabricated (e.g., two small alligator clips on a short piece of cord; one clip is attached to the hat in
   the back and the other is attached to the collar).
♦ Boonie hats offer the most solar protection and have a sewn in retention strap. If boonie hats are
   used the strap must be kept tight under the chin to be effective.
♦ Should a hat be blown from your head, let it go. Under NO circumstance should a Marshaller chase
   a hat or run on the flight line.

Eclipse

^ an FLM manual does not trump 39-1, it could potentially tighten a reg, but can't authorize a unifrom piece not authorized already in the uniform manual.

As to boonies w/ Polo golf shirts, there's no guidance and no requirement.  If you want to wear a gardening hat over them, and no one in command says not to, knock yourself out.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cherokeepilot

Folks..........
Did I miss something???  Who is the bozo allowing hats, caps, scarves, and other prohibited items out on a flight line???  I don't care who, but someone who wears a cap, hat, or similar is violating every safety rule and prohibition for conduct on the flight line.  I do not care what the CAP rules, regulations, nor tradition that would say caps on the line, we deal with active units almost everyday and the basic rule is cap and hats off on the flightline.  Sorry for my approach, but I have been at the aftermath of someone taking on a prop under power.

The Boonie hat makes sense to keep the sun off your neck while the baseball cap will not......oh well.......since I have my annual skin cancer check, I've gotten a bit more cautious in my old age.  I guess that I'm paying for my sins of running around in the sun without my shirt.  I think that I must have been tough back then.
Molōn labe!
73s