Wings patches & Wing headquarters organization

Started by RiverAux, December 09, 2008, 11:15:21 PM

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on December 10, 2008, 04:19:00 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 10, 2008, 03:50:26 AM
Superfluous and redundant.
Someone got a "Word A Day" calendar as an early Christmas present...

LOL... nah.

I are uh jernuhlist. Reely.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Gunner C

Quote from: PHall on December 10, 2008, 04:06:48 AM
Quote from: FLCAP 834 on December 10, 2008, 02:56:34 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 10, 2008, 02:14:23 AM
About 20 years ago there was a California Wing Headquarters patch. IIRC is was never an "official" unit patch.

I think Ace Browning from MNWG has it on his patch website.

This is the one he has posted

Hey, I never said it was right or anything, I just said it existed.

A typical "I'm better than you" patch rather than "My mission is to support you."

QuoteSuperfluous and redundant.
Super who?  ;D

Al Sayre

Quote from: D2SK on December 10, 2008, 12:41:14 AM
how many of you folks are actually on wing staff?

that's what i thought.   ::)

I am
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

Quote from: Gunner C on December 10, 2008, 10:07:57 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 10, 2008, 04:06:48 AM

Hey, I never said it was right or anything, I just said it existed.

A typical "I'm better than you" patch rather than "My mission is to support you."

QuoteSuperfluous and redundant.
Super who?  ;D

I call it the Department of Redundancy Department.

**Messed up the quoting, but you get the picture  :-* **
Serving since 1987.

Larry Mangum

I spent a number of years on the CAWG staff.  Some of it was IAD while I kept my membership at a squadron, but at some point they put a figurative gun to my head and made me transfer to the 001.  I don't recall any sort of wing HQ patch. 

Same deal with Pacific Region and national staff.  If we have a patch, nobody's told me.

Region Staff wear a tab that says "Region"
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 10, 2008, 01:22:07 AM
(Always thought it was goofy to see Ohio Wing staffers in BDUs with the funny rocker on the wing patch. Might as well say "ranger first class." Pointless.)

(A little off topic, but...)

I have seen the Ohio Wing Staff rocker, but it was on an old uniform. In my last 6.5 years of being in OHWG I have not seen anyone wearing it.

Hill CAP

I saw the Old OHWG staff rocker on one of the Chaplains from OHWG back at 04 National Boards in Tampa it was a rocker under the wing patch
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Short Field

Quote from: RiverAux on December 10, 2008, 03:38:08 AM
In particular I was looking for guidance on how the military currently handles this.  For example are the staff members of an AF Wing assigned to a Headquarters Squadron (or equivalent) or are they just members of a nebulous "headquarters"?

I have served on several AF wing and above staffs.  I was assigned to the wing in a specific wing staff position.  The purpose of the Hqs Sqdn was to handle the routine paperwork and monitor the training and report requirements for the wing staff - freeing the wing king from having to personally handle it.  Most Hqs Sqdn's manning consisted of a Capt and a couple of admin troops.  The Hq Sqdn would track efficiency reports to make sure they were on time.  They also tracked and arranged for fitness testing, firearms training, etc.

I do know the Hq Sqdn Commander was not in my chain of command.  Normally I outranked him and he was never in my reporting chain.  Key point:  The purpose of the Hq Sqdn was the care and feeding of the unit's staff.  It had no responsibilities for subordinate units and their personnel.  This was more apparent at the Numbered Air Force level and above level.

XX001 is your wing and the people assigned to it are responsible for supporting the wing - not just the wing staff. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Ned

Quote from: Who_knows? on December 10, 2008, 04:48:16 PM

I spent a number of years on the CAWG staff.  Some of it was IAD while I kept my membership at a squadron, but at some point they put a figurative gun to my head and made me transfer to the 001.  I don't recall any sort of wing HQ patch. 

Same deal with Pacific Region and national staff.  If we have a patch, nobody's told me.

Region Staff wear a tab that says "Region"

Sure, in lieu of a wing patch, folks at region and wing HQs are authorized the rocker/tab thing on the shoulder where wing patches normally live.  I have some on some uniforms.  I just don't think it is the same thing as a "unit patch" which is worn in different places.

I suppose you could argue that since only folks in a region HQ wear the region rocker that it serves the same function, regardless of where it is worn.

But only because I love to argue.  ;)

PHall

RiverAux

Thanks for the on-point answer to one of my questions ShortField.

caprr275

MIWG in the past had a wing staff tab that was worn around the wing patch. we still have members in the wing that wear the tab, i think it looks cool and yes i am on wing staff

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=36338766&l=a0210&id=12124260

Gunner C

Quote from: caprr275 on December 11, 2008, 05:09:13 AM
MIWG in the past had a wing staff tab that was worn around the wing patch. we still have members in the wing that wear the tab, i think it looks cool and yes i am on wing staff

That's not the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen but it's in the top 14. This cadet will be a fine future bling commando. >:D

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Gunner C on December 11, 2008, 05:32:02 AM
Quote from: caprr275 on December 11, 2008, 05:09:13 AM
That's not the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen but it's in the top 14. This cadet will be a fine future bling commando. >:D

Holy cow, that's asstastic. That's hideous, too. You'd actually WANT to wear that?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.