Wings patches & Wing headquarters organization

Started by RiverAux, December 09, 2008, 11:15:21 PM

RiverAux

In the squadron patches thread someone said that it was somewhat illegitimate for Wing Headquarters to have their own patch as it was not done in the military.  Rather than get into it in that thread, I offer this:

A CAP Wing Headquarters is actually a distinct unit that has its own CAP charter number (XX-001) so it certainly is as deserving of its own patch as any other unit.

Now, where I am fuzzy is whether the correct "military" way to have done this is to have assigned all wing staff members to the Headquarters Squadron, which in almost all CAP Wings is usually known as the ghost squadron where inactive members are transferred to.  Would that be a better way to do it?

Eclipse

xx-000 units have no commanders, therefore members are ineligible for progression, most decorations, and any ES re-qualifications once what they have is expired, as all of those things need a CC. Its sole purpose is supposed to be for parking inactive members who for some reason choose to keep paying their dues.

Wing staffers generally have significant fiduciary responsibilities, and many are also operationally qualified, so they need a commander, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2008, 11:22:41 PM
xx-000 units have no commanders, therefore members are ineligible for progression, most decorations, and any ES re-qualifications once what they have is expired, as all of those things need a CC. Its sole purpose is supposed to be for parking inactive members who for some reason choose to keep paying their dues.
That is the usual practice.  What I was suggesting was that perhaps instead of that the Headquarters Squadron should actually contain the wing staff and actually BE the headquarters.  That way most wings would not have a Headquarters and a Headquarters Squadron.

Pylon

The headquarters unit is the headquarters unit; generally these are numbered XX-001.  Members of the headquarters unit are wing staff.  I don't understand your confusion.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jeders

I think the confusion is coming because of using 000 and 001. 001 is the Headquarters unit, 000 is the "Ghost" squadron that is used for holding inactive members.

Honestly, I think it's kind of pointless to have a seperate patch for the Wing Headquarters unit. I say use the wing patch as the headquarters patch, but that's me. But as was pointed out in the other thread, the Air Force is eliminating this problem with the ABUs because you don't wear those patches with it and hopefully the Air Force will require CAP to follow suit.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

D2SK

how many of you folks are actually on wing staff?

that's what i thought.   ::)
Lighten up, Francis.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on December 09, 2008, 11:15:21 PM
In the squadron patches thread someone said that it was somewhat illegitimate for Wing Headquarters to have their own patch as it was not done in the military.  Rather than get into it in that thread, I offer this:

A CAP Wing Headquarters is actually a distinct unit that has its own CAP charter number (XX-001) so it certainly is as deserving of its own patch as any other unit.

Now, where I am fuzzy is whether the correct "military" way to have done this is to have assigned all wing staff members to the Headquarters Squadron, which in almost all CAP Wings is usually known as the ghost squadron where inactive members are transferred to.  Would that be a better way to do it?

No the ghost squadorn is the XX-000 squadron...wing HQ is XX-001 squadron.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ned

Quote from: D2SK on December 10, 2008, 12:41:14 AM

I spent a number of years on the CAWG staff.  Some of it was IAD while I kept my membership at a squadron, but at some point they put a figurative gun to my head and made me transfer to the 001.  I don't recall any sort of wing HQ patch. 

Same deal with Pacific Region and national staff.  If we have a patch, nobody's told me.

BuckeyeDEJ

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. West Virginia, in fact, back in the day. But no special emblem to set me apart.

The special wing-staff patch or tab is a distinctly CAP thing. Just because you have a charter number, it doesn't always mean you get an emblem to play with.

(Always thought it was goofy to see Ohio Wing staffers in BDUs with the funny rocker on the wing patch. Might as well say "ranger first class." Pointless.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

bosshawk

I am currently on the CAWG staff and know of no such thing as a Wing Hq patch.  I personally think that they are a waste of time and money.  It is also hard to wear a patch on the blue golf shirt, which I wear most of the time.
On my flight suit, I wear the American flag on my left shoulder(will die before I remove it) and on the right is my Check Pilot patch.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

About 20 years ago there was a California Wing Headquarters patch. IIRC is was never an "official" unit patch.

I think Ace Browning from MNWG has it on his patch website.

dwb

Quote from: D2SK on December 10, 2008, 12:41:14 AMhow many of you folks are actually on wing staff?

I am.

KyCAP

I am.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Hill CAP

Quote from: PHall on December 10, 2008, 02:14:23 AM
About 20 years ago there was a California Wing Headquarters patch. IIRC is was never an "official" unit patch.

This is the one he has posted

Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Stonewall

That's it, I am going to design a "Ghost Squadron" patch.  It'll have a picture of a ghost on it and people will be going inactive just to wear it to their squadron meetings... >:D
Serving since 1987.

isuhawkeye

RiverAux

Quote from: Pylon on December 10, 2008, 12:10:46 AM
The headquarters unit is the headquarters unit; generally these are numbered XX-001.  Members of the headquarters unit are wing staff.  I don't understand your confusion.
I have absolutely no confusion about how CAP CURRENTLY organizes itself.  This thread was to serve too purposes
1.  To explain that it is appropriate that Wing Headquarters have its own patch since it is a separate unit in its own right under our organizational structure as a -001 unit.
2.  Discuss the more general topic of whether or not we SHOULD have separate headquarters (-001) and headquarters squadron (-000)  units.  In particular I was looking for guidance on how the military currently handles this.  For example are the staff members of an AF Wing assigned to a Headquarters Squadron (or equivalent) or are they just members of a nebulous "headquarters"?

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: FLCAP 834 on December 10, 2008, 02:56:34 AM

Superfluous and redundant.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

PHall

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 10, 2008, 03:50:26 AM
Quote from: FLCAP 834 on December 10, 2008, 02:56:34 AM

Hey, I never said it was right or anything, I just said it existed.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 10, 2008, 03:50:26 AM
Someone got a "Word A Day" calendar as an early Christmas present...

"That Others May Zoom"