Woodland BDU T-Shirt

Started by disamuel, September 14, 2008, 01:19:41 AM

disamuel

Just to confirm- the woodland BDU t-shirt is supposed to be black right?  In the photos in 39-1 it looks like tan, but I think I've also seen pictures showing black.

Thanks in advance-

addo1

The shirt color is usually decided by the squadron.  My squadron does black for staff and tan for regular members... I am not sure there is an "official" shirt color for it.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

hatentx

It can be either.  It depends on your SQD kinda.  In my SQD the SM can wear either, the Cadets must wear the brown until they make C/ Master SGT I think.  I am going to have to ask again.

39-1 says
"Brown or black. Either V-neck, U-neck, crew neck or athletic style
without pockets. Black or brown turtlenecks, dickeys, or thermal
undershirts without pockets may also be worn. EXCEPTION:
members may wear white thermal undershirts even if exposed at neck.
Unit commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and cloth or
silk screen emblem, to be worn on left side of chest not to exceed 5
inches in diameter."

disamuel

That was fast. Thanks a bunch!

hatentx

I am loser with nothing better to do with my time. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

JayT

Quote from: addo1 on September 14, 2008, 01:23:04 AM
The shirt color is usually decided by the squadron.  My squadron does black for staff and tan for regular members... I am not sure there is an "official" shirt color for it.

Why would  you post an answer if  you didn't know it?

It's either black, or brown. There's nothing in 39-1 about SM vs. Cadet's vs. Cadet JNCOS vs. Cadets Born in April Vs. Cadets Who prefer Dr Pepper to Mr Pip.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

addo1

Quote from: JThemann on September 14, 2008, 01:40:22 AM

Don't get me wrong.  I know what most squadrons do and that is what I mentioned above.  I did not (but now know) if there was an "official" shirt color, but did not think so.  I posted what my squadron does, not what an answer from some manual...

Disamuel, I hope that it answers your question.  Basically, go to your squadron and ask them what they do.  It is a squadron thing.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

hatentx

It's either black, or brown. There's nothing in 39-1 about SM vs. Cadet's vs. Cadet JNCOS vs. Cadets Born in April Vs. Cadets Who prefer Dr Pepper to Mr Pip.

Wow that got ugly.  The regs says brown or black with no pockets with exception of thermals blah blah blah.... however most units have an SOP or directive from the Commander or DCC on which is correct for the SQD.

I thought In my post I made that clear what the 39-1 says along with common practices.

JayT

Quote from: addo1 on September 14, 2008, 01:46:31 AM

Don't get me wrong.  I know what most squadrons do and that is what I mentioned above.  I did not (but now know) if there was an "official" shirt color, but did not think so.  I posted what my squadron does, not what an answer from some manual...

Disamuel, I hope that it answers your question.  Basically, go to your squadron and ask them what they do.  It is a squadron thing.

I don't understand why you mean by an 'official' color.........black or tan.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JayT

Quote from: hatentx on September 14, 2008, 01:54:17 AM

Wow that got ugly.  The regs says brown or black with no pockets with exception of thermals blah blah blah.... however most units have an SOP or directive from the Commander or DCC on which is correct for the SQD.

I thought In my post I made that clear what the 39-1 says along with common practices.

Oh, I don't mean any insult, and I'm sorry if I came off badly.

But one of the biggest problems in CAP is that we get a lot of "Well, I heard this is how we do it."

You're post is the opposite of that. You provided a reg cite, along with a statement of common practices.

I'm sorry guys, I'm just coming off a twenty four hour shift.

addo1

You did... Some people would rather make matters more complicated...

And to official, there is none, and that was my point... It varies from squadron to squadron... It is really not a matter to fight over.. All points have been stated, and it is evident that it is a unit thing.  No point in taking the thread further.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

addo1

Quote from: JThemann on September 14, 2008, 01:55:59 AM

Oh, I don't mean any insult, and I'm sorry if I came off badly.

But one of the biggest problems in CAP is that we get a lot of "Well, I heard this is how we do it."

You're post is the opposite of that. You provided a reg cite, along with a statement of common practices.

I'm sorry guys, I'm just coming off a twenty four hour shift.

Its ok.. I am a little tired and cranky too.. We shouldn't have gone back and forth like that... Ok, its over, lol...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

MIKE

Pet peeve... if you're gonna wear brown, wear the right color:
Mike Johnston

addo1

Quote from: MIKE on September 14, 2008, 02:01:22 AM
Pet peeve... if you're gonna wear brown, wear the right color:

That makes me really mad too.. I see cadets come in wearing all kinds of exotic colors... Now with black, it is sort of wrong hard to go wrong...  :D
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

hatentx

And the MOD had to take it further lol.  Yeah I have seen that as well.  If it is close I get it but I have seen cadets come in wearing the ACU Tan and ACU Green undershirts saying that the Army wears them as an undershirt why can I?  Sadly most of my Brown Ts are stained with the red fake blood.  I use to wear them when we would do Casualty training while we were deployed thinking I would never have to wear them again.  haha was I wrong. 

jimmydeanno

My wife just had to buy like 14 brown T-Shirts for ROTC Field Training.  She went to the MCSS and bought "brown t-shirts."  Label said brown, shelf said brown, receipt said brown.  Got them home they were green[ish].  Brought them back, bought some off the internet.  A little darker than normal, but the instructors at Field Training didn't seem to care, she said they didn't even notice.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rotorhead

You do realise, don't you, that "most " squadrons don't do what you said, and that 39-1 is not just "some" manual but the actual regulation?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

DNall

Point of order...
Local commanders can always tighten up regs, never losen. So, they can specify black only or brown only or brown for basic cadets or black for staff/whatever. Same as they can specify BDU is the uniform of the day for a mtg/activity/etc, even though regs says any our hundred uniform combinations may be worn for CAP activities. However, they cannot broaden it to include other colors - like orange, unless you're in PA & just "special." Which they & everyone else have dif definitions of "special" in that circumstance.

Personally, I don't like making cadets buy dif shirts after a few months in or even to have them un-uniformed on shirt color. I'd just assume them all be in black T-shirts, hence Sq T-shirt is black, and other black shirts are acceptable.

MIKE

It's gonna suck a big one when everyone with dem kustom black shirts, or even brown AG shade 436 shirts, has to bin 'em for standard tan ones.  >:D ABUs.  >:D

Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on September 14, 2008, 10:49:15 PM
It's gonna suck a big one when everyone with dem kustom black shirts, or even brown AG shade 436 shirts, has to bin 'em for standard tan ones.  >:D ABUs.  >:D

Too bad you wear SAND colored shirts with the ABU.

You go into clothing sales at an Air Force or Army installation looking for Tan shirts and you'll be looking for a long time!

However you will find Sand colored shirts in great abundance....

The label on the shirt says SAND. As does AR 670-1 and AFI 36-2903.

addo1

Quote from: Rotorhead on September 14, 2008, 10:31:15 PM
You do realise, don't you, that "most " squadrons don't do what you said, and that 39-1 is not just "some" manual but the actual regulation?

No, that was my point.  It wasn't just some manual, it is what our squadron does in accordance with the 39-1.
Quote from: DNall on September 14, 2008, 10:33:15 PM
Point of order...
Local commanders can always tighten up regs, never losen. So, they can specify black only or brown only or brown for basic cadets or black for staff/whatever. Same as they can specify BDU is the uniform of the day for a mtg/activity/etc, even though regs says any our hundred uniform combinations may be worn for CAP activities. However, they cannot broaden it to include other colors - like orange, unless you're in PA & just "special." Which they & everyone else have dif definitions of "special" in that circumstance.

Personally, I don't like making cadets buy dif shirts after a few months in or even to have them un-uniformed on shirt color. I'd just assume them all be in black T-shirts, hence Sq T-shirt is black, and other black shirts are acceptable.

Exactly what I was trying to say made short.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP