Main Menu

NCSA Patches

Started by LSThiker, March 21, 2018, 03:10:25 PM

LSThiker

I just want to ensure that I am reading this correctly and have it straight in my mind.  (Yes I know, "Say NO to patches".  That is not the point nor necessary to discuss).

NCSA Patch wear:

BDUs/BBDUs:
Quote5.1.1.3.3. Right Sleeve. One full color, special activity patch as authorized by Attachment 4 may be sewn to the coat on the right sleeve ½ inch below the shoulder seam and centered.

Quote5.1.1.3.4. Left Breast Pocket. One full color patch as authorized by Attachment 4 may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower left portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of BDU shirt.

5.1.1.3.5. Right Breast Pocket. One full color patch as authorized by Attachment 4 sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges
and bottom of flap and pocket of BDU shirt.

Attachment 4 lists NCSA patches as "RS or L/RP"

So a member could, in theory, wear 3 NCSA patches on the BDUs/BBDUs?  One on each breast pocket and the right sleeve?

ABUs:
QuoteLeft Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-4, with the exception of the Emergency Services patches, Honor Guard Shield (attachment 8-4) and Ranger tabs, may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.

QuoteRight Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, the Model Rocketry Patch, may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.

So a member could, in theory, wear 2 NCSA patches on the ABUs?  One on each breast pocket?

In other words, members could wear:

BDUs:
RS:  NCSA Patch
RBP:  NCSA patch, Model Rocketry, Unit/Region Patch, Operational patches (Communications, CISM, Check Pilot, etc) or National Staff Patch
LBP:  NCSA Patch, Operational patches (Communications, CISM, AFRCC, etc), Service Badge (NEC, NB, CCC, SAG)

ABUs
RS:  Nothing
RBP:  NCSA patch, Model Rocketry, Unit/Region Patch, Operational patches (Communications, CISM, Check Pilot, etc), or National Staff Patch
LBP:  NCSA Patch, Operational patches (Communications, CISM, AFRCC, etc), Service Badge (NEC, NB, CCC, SAG)

hamburgee

As far as I'm aware, the Model Rocketry patch isn't authorized.

LSThiker

Quote from: hamburgee on March 21, 2018, 08:43:49 PM
As far as I'm aware, the Model Rocketry patch isn't authorized.

It depends on how you read the commas.  Unfortunately, NHQ seems to have failed grammar.

You can read the passages as (changes made in bold and brackets):
QuoteRight Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3 (with the exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs) , [and] the Model Rocketry Patch, may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.

As the Model Rocketry patch falls into Attachment 8-4, there would be no need to mention it as 8-4 is already excluded.  So you can assume that NHQ grouped ES and Rangers patches together and forgot to include the word "and".  But then they include the comma after Model Rocketry, which could indicate it belongs to the exceptions.

As such you can read it as:

QuoteRight Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3 (with the exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, [and] the Model Rocketry Patch), may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.

You can assume that NHQ meant to group the ES patches, Ranger tabs, and Model Rocketry patch together as the comma after MR would suggest.  In which case, they missed the word "and" between Ranger tabs and Model Rocketry Patch, as they are in different sections (ES in 8-1, Ranger tabs in 8-2, and MR in 8-4).  However, since 8-4 is already removed as the RBP is for 8-1 to 8-3, there would be no need to include the exception with MR patch. 

I lean towards the first being the intent.  However, reasonable minds can, and will, differ on this.  As the passage is rather nebulous due to NHQ failure, if a cadet wears the MR patch on the ABUs, I would not say anything.