Main Menu

ABU

Started by DDeCotto, November 02, 2016, 01:35:10 AM

JC004

Quote from: indiaXray on November 04, 2016, 07:32:00 PM
I know you guys are joking, but in reality, sewing stuff on is old fashioned, time consuming, or expensive.  Haven't the nebulous 'they' heard of velcro or rank slides?  I would love the convenience of being able to slap on a new patch, slip on a new rank and get back to business.  Alas, it is a fantasy.

According to the Air Force, they offered Velcro while developing the ABU, but airmen declined. 

That said, it would have its benefits for CAP if the ABU had it.  One issue we have is that a lot of people in CAP aren't prior service and are new to the whole insignia thing.  They often get their placement, borders, and all wrong.  It's so common to see photos of CAP uniform errors.  That's easily fixed with the Velcro.  But, it's not an option. 

PHall

Quote from: JC004 on November 05, 2016, 03:53:00 AM
I know you guys are joking, but in reality, sewing stuff on is old fashioned, time consuming, or expensive.  Haven't the nebulous 'they' heard of velcro or rank slides?  I would love the convenience of being able to slap on a new patch, slip on a new rank and get back to business.  Alas, it is a fantasy.

According to the Air Force, they offered Velcro while developing the ABU, but airmen declined. 

That said, it would have its benefits for CAP if the ABU had it.  One issue we have is that a lot of people in CAP aren't prior service and are new to the whole insignia thing.  They often get their placement, borders, and all wrong.  It's so common to see photos of CAP uniform errors.  That's easily fixed with the Velcro.  But, it's not an option.

If you've ever seen a soldier in the ACU you know that velcro and "precision patch placement" just don't go together.

JC004

Quote from: PHall on November 05, 2016, 04:25:05 AM
Quote from: JC004 on November 05, 2016, 03:53:00 AM

If you've ever seen a soldier in the ACU you know that velcro and "precision patch placement" just don't go together.

That's the point.  They don't stand out horribly for being half an inch off, or require making a tiny border that stands out when it's off.  And if it stands out as being wrong, you simply move it.  My nametapes and insignia line up just fine on my fleeces and bags.

Luis R. Ramos

With Velcro, insignias stand out from the uniform. They look as if they are mounted on a base which does not happen when sewn.

Also if you do not cut the Velcro to the shape of the insignia, you have an insignia with an ugly frame around it on the uniform.

If you know what you are doing, sewing it on looks much neater than Velcro.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

If you know what you are doing, you can make Velcro look just as good as sewing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spam

Quote from: SarDragon on November 05, 2016, 10:19:14 PM
If you know what you are doing, you can make Velcro look just as good as sewing.

Second that. I did my grade insignia for my flight suit on Velcro, so I could quickly take it off to fly at work. Few people ever noticed.

Reminds me... time to schedule a module on sewing basics for the cadets (one of the more valuable practicals I had as a cadet).

V/r
Spam

DDeCotto

I prefer velcro to I got a picture from the commander with the ABU uniform with the badge and the flag and know every body is telling my sun that he needs to take the flag off so know it took 2 and a half hours to take it off because it was well sewed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Luis R. Ramos

If you had that flag on, when your son removed it there would have been an ugly Velcro square or rectangle left that has to be removed as well...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Quote from: doyola38 on November 06, 2016, 11:37:03 PM
I prefer velcro to I got a picture from the commander with the ABU uniform with the badge and the flag and know every body is telling my sun that he needs to take the flag off so know it took 2 and a half hours to take it off because it was well sewed

Two and a half hours? What were you using, a butter knife? I removed a four inch embroidered insignia from a garment in less time than that, and didn't cause any further damage to the fabric than did the original stitching. My Exacto knife with a fresh #11 blade worked wonders.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on November 07, 2016, 04:56:23 AM
Quote from: doyola38 on November 06, 2016, 11:37:03 PM

Two and a half hours? What were you using, a butter knife? I removed a four inch embroidered insignia from a garment in less time than that, and didn't cause any further damage to the fabric than did the original stitching. My Exacto knife with a fresh #11 blade worked wonders.

The skill of the person operating that X-Acto is a major factor.

SarDragon

It's all a matter of technique, patience, and practice, practice, practice.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret