Would like to see service awards documented in eServices

Started by GaryVC, September 06, 2016, 08:11:57 PM

GaryVC

I have recently rejoined CAP and have been going through the regulations and more recently personnel files. I have discovered that with one exception service awards have generally not been documented in the files of members in our squadron. We have a number of members who have had one or more transfers and their files are either nearly empty or fail to document the service awards they have received. Some of these members are cadets who probably didn't know that they should have brought their records with them when they changed units (at least one aged out of a middle school cadet squadron).

It would be very useful if these awards had been documented in eServices when they were presented. There are some that aren't difficult to initiate based on personnel records such as Commander, CAC, IACE, Cadet Special Activities, encampment, and Red Service. However, others such as community service are impossible. 

Eclipse

This a pretty typical situation, one which is supposed to be caught during SUIs or by higher HQ but is largely ignored.

The "Awards Recommendation" module went a long way towards fixing this issue, but there are years of history
to catch up, and inexplicably many decs (such as CSR) aren't included - one would surmise it would simply be adding
some addition lines of code and size to the table(s).

It flabbergasts me when records don't get moved when people transfer - that's a failure of at least two staff officers
(one on either side) plus the member.

The other part of this is the assumption decorations were properly awarded to begin with - lots of people in CAP
wearing stuff that was given to them by "someone" and they never documented it, or it was never documentable
(like National CCs handing Comm Comms out to cadets at conferences, etc.).

As an example, for a number of years NESA wasn't updating eservices as NCSA - I looked at some of my people who
had been staff for ages, and at two clicks a year should have had a stream of entries who had none - when I raised the
issue, the response I got (from someone who should know) was "Oh, people get NCSA for that?"

It's since been fixed, but you'd have to manually catch up records no in the system with a memo to NHQ.

We also have / had a fair number of people who earned the GT badge but never completed the rating (again from NESA),
and that predated tracking badges, so there would be no record of that.

"That Others May Zoom"

FyreDragn

There are also several Senior Member awards that also aren't shown in eServices that we all wish would show in there as well.
Deputy Commander
Information Technology Officer - Master
Professional Development Officer - Technician
Middle GA Senior Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: GaryVC on September 06, 2016, 08:11:57 PMCommander, CAC, IACE, Cadet Special Activities, encampment,

These are, and always have been in eServices (at least for the better part of a decade).  Anything older then the
earlier 00's though would not be included unless the member or staff took the time to update / correct them.

There really is no excuse or need for local paper, except that CAP can't get over the finish line on eServices.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Most of the stuff a CAPF2A documents (community service, red service, command service, etc) isn't in eServices.  It is a pretty simply process to do it.  The online awards recommendation module could be modified to include these awards and then everything would be captured.  Unfortunately, not all units/Wings/Regions are onboard with the Awards module and still force CAPF120s.  Pretty silly but some people just don't want to let go of paper.

GaryVC

One of the service awards that especially bothers me is the cadet advisory council. There is no requirement to serve for a specified length of time or to have attended a certain number of meetings. In looking at the cadet personnel records for our squadron in eServices, I found one cadet who had served twice in two different squadrons and for a considerable length of time. Another cadet had served for only a few months. As there is no guidance, approval is left to the discretion of the approving authority which could be significantly different depending on who and where. 

kwe1009

Quote from: GaryVC on September 07, 2016, 03:30:13 PM
One of the service awards that especially bothers me is the cadet advisory council. There is no requirement to serve for a specified length of time or to have attended a certain number of meetings. In looking at the cadet personnel records for our squadron in eServices, I found one cadet who had served twice in two different squadrons and for a considerable length of time. Another cadet had served for only a few months. As there is no guidance, approval is left to the discretion of the approving authority which could be significantly different depending on who and where.

I agree that there should be a time requirement.  Since the CAC terms are usually 1 year I would like 39-3 to say something like, "awarded to members who successfully complete a full term."  Since there is no time restriction, a cadet should be given the award as soon as they are officially placed in that role.  Commanders should not place additional restrictions for any activity award above what is already spelled out in 39-3.