2 Questions about ABU's

Started by CAPID404, May 23, 2016, 01:39:11 PM

CAPID404

1) Confirm the color of the stripes (enlisted) are changing and current ones will not work

2) With the BDU you could wear your Air Force earned/subdued specialty badge if the CAP didn't have something similar (39-1 para 5.1.1.3.10), is that the same for the ABU's

Like many of you I have a bunch in my closet to wear...Thanks!

CAPID404

Yes...I have that, says noting about subdued badges.

That's OK, I'll just email HQ

Thanks

Jester

As far as I know NCO stripes are the only things not changing.

Storm Chaser

I would just have the badges made in the right color. Many vendors can do that. Otherwise, they look quite odd.

Toth

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 23, 2016, 03:52:41 PM
I would just have the badges made in the right color. Many vendors can do that. Otherwise, they look quite odd.

Yeah, I've seen non-CAP badges on BDUs, but they've always been embroidered in the usual colors, having normal CAP nametapes with subdued badges would just look kinda... odd... although I suppose many things about the CAP uniform are odd...
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

kwe1009

It is not just USAF badges but any military badge allowed by Air Force Instruction to be worn on the uniform.  There are many companies that will make the military badges in the correct colors.  Since there is still some debate on the exact colors the new name tapes for the ABUs actually are (what specific shade of "dark blue" for example), I would probably have a conversation with the company and send them one of the new name tapes from Vanguard once they are available.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: CAPID404 on May 23, 2016, 01:39:11 PM
1) Confirm the color of the stripes (enlisted) are changing and current ones will not work

2) With the BDU you could wear your Air Force earned/subdued specialty badge if the CAP didn't have something similar (39-1 para 5.1.1.3.10), is that the same for the ABU's

Like many of you I have a bunch in my closet to wear...Thanks!

Whatever specialty badge it is, it needs to be uniform to the tapes and CAP specific badges on your ABU's. That was a question I asked NHQ the other day because we have a couple members with parachutists wings they got in ROTC or though active duty. There are companies that can do this, and Vanguard can do it too if you call and talk to them. They will also for sure use the correct thread color and backgrounds. Just be patient.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

lordmonar

Let's see what 39-1 says.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
5.1.1.3.10.  Military Badges.  US military badges authorized by AFI 36-2903 for wear on the USAF-style uniform may be worn when earned through qualification, awarded by competent authority for service performed in any branch of the armed forces of the United States or its allies, AND authorized for wear on the USAF uniform by AFI 36-2903.  Military badges will be placed in accordance with AFI 36-2903 and count towards the maximum of four badges worn on the uniform.  USAF missile or excellence-in-competition badges are worn on the wearer's left, and may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower left portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of BDU shirt, unless a CAP service badge must be worn in this position. Military badges on the BDUs may be worn in subdued colors as previously authorized by the Air Force for the BDUs if they cannot be obtained in ultramarine fabric. 

So.....subdued are allowed.   "if they cannot be obtained in ultramarine fabric".

Granted this is for the BDUs......but one would assume that the rules for the ABUs are going to be similar.
Now...the question is "if they cannot be obtained".....from who?  Vanguard?   Other outside sources that we have been cautioned not to go to as they may not meet standards?

So....bottom line....you can wear the subdued ones.   You should try to source silver on navy ones if you can find them (and there are lots of places you can find them)....but it is not really a foul if you just wear the military issue ones.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

One cannot make assumptions, at least not yet, since some things that were allowed with the BDUs are no longer allowed with the ABUs. You may be correct, but until we get additional guidance, we won't know for sure. 

Meridius

Williams and Williams does a great job with providing military badges with the CAP uniform.  I have had my combat parachutist wings done by them for the BDU and it was near perfect.

https://www.nametags4u.com/product/?pid=1671

Maybe they should give me a discount for free advertising?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Meridius on May 24, 2016, 06:15:55 PM
Williams and Williams does a great job with providing military badges with the CAP uniform.  I have had my combat parachutist wings done by them for the BDU and it was near perfect.

Do what I have customers do. Forum members approach me, asking if I can offer a discount for their forum/group. If they offer a code of some kind, share it here. Win - Win.

kwe1009

Quote from: Meridius on May 24, 2016, 06:15:55 PM

Another vote for Williams and Williams.  They did a great job on my Air Force badges.