Womens New Service Dress Coat

Started by enaud, March 25, 2015, 11:40:20 PM

enaud

A CAP father here.  Do any Females know how to attach the Cadet Office shoulder boards to the new female service dress coat with out the Epaulettes.  Thanks.

Plane

The easiest option here would be to sew Velcro on the shoulders conservatively so it doesn't show under the boards.  My coat has epaulets, but I had to sew it on due to the adhesive on the Velcro coming loose, so I assume it'd be worse without epaulets.  Alternatively, you could attach a small strip of Velcro near the seam of the shoulder, and sew on an appropriately sized snap button on the shoulder, as the new shoulder boards come with Velcro and a "female" button on them.  Depending on the price, I'd recommend getting this done professionally, but you could do it yourself if you feel comfortable.
C/2d Lt Matt Claar
Mitchell Award #65121

enaud

Abby.L

+1 on the Velcro. When I was a cadet officer, I did exactly what was described above: Velcro sewn onto the coat. Be aware that the residue is largely there forever, or at least for multiple dry-cleaning sessions, if anything happens to where she donates it or can use it elsewhere. So I would just sew it and bypass the adhesive.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

SarDragon

The original shoulder boards came with little round dressmaker snaps. Yu might investigate converting to those. When correctly positioned, they are unseen.

http://www.homesew.com/product5300.html
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Those dressmaker snaps were a pain. I *hated* those things.

+100 on the velcro, however. Fuzzy (loop) side on the uniform, hook side on the boards.  I do that for all my cadet officers when I have the sewing machine at the unit.  I use a strip of the 2" wide, about 80% of the length of the board. Works awesome.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

enaud

Velcro it is.  Plus we got the new shoulder boards from Vanguard and they came with both the hook an pile velcro.  Thanks all.

kwe1009

Don't rely on the glue that is on the velcro to stay on the coat.  Put a few stitches in the corners and you should be good to go.  As previously mentioned, you don't need a lot of velcro, you could cut down the velcro that came with the board probably in half.

Plane

^ +1

Since the female jacket is shaped differently and yours doesn't have epaulets, putting the entire piece of velcro on there would leave some sticking out under the boards.  You may not necessarily have to cut it in half, but cutting some off would be a good idea.
C/2d Lt Matt Claar
Mitchell Award #65121