Wings and GT Badge spacing

Started by Chief2009, February 19, 2012, 01:27:10 AM

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2012, 08:35:04 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 08:19:39 PMGenerally speaking, yes.  I don't believe that the order of precedence is specified in 39-1, but its an unspoken rule that military badges go above CAP badges.

The order is prescribed on page 16 of CAPM 39-1.

And table 6-2 and 6-4. Yep.  You're right. I didn't wear a CAP aviation badge, so it was a moot point for me.  Back when I did wear a CAP aviation badge, we were still wearing our military badges over our nameplates. 

And the more I think about it (man, I wish I had a photo of that) the more I'm pretty sure we would have complied with the reg and his military aviation badge would have been below the CAP wings. I honestly can't remember now which order it would have been in, but I would have followed the 39-1's guidance.

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2012, 08:35:04 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 08:19:39 PM
My XO was a former AF loadmaster and retired Army Guard Major (one of the few times you'll hear of a loadtoad making good, BTW), so so he had a GT badge, CAP Observer wings and his AF aircrew wings.  We dug up AF aircrew in white on ultramarine (old skool, too, from the 60s that was) and I stitched his tower of power up real nice: GT, Observer, Aircrew

Ok, seriously?  Three badges?  Nice or not, that's way fubar.

What do you mean?  There is nothing prohibiting it in the regs that I recall.

Matter of fact, I just took a quick perusal thru 39-1 (to refresh my poor remembery) and I see that up to 4 badges are authorized on service dress, and no similar specification is made for BDUs (I may have missed it, but I don't see it in the tables)

Of course, 39-1 can be so darn contradictory between one section and another (like, say, where they have the pics of the uniforms, and say "Badges can be worn like this" and another section, like where the wear specifications for the badges are, where they're _supposed_ to specify "Badges are worn like this.").

Fig 2-17's notes lump CAP aviation badges & specialty badges together, then make a 2nd mention that military aviation badges are worn under CAP badges.  Seems to me that it means you can wear all three.

Chapter 6, Section B is not specific in the descriptions as to how many badges can be worn on the BDUs, nor is Table 6-5.  The prohibitions in Table 6-5 are specific that only ONE CAP aviation badge may be worn (Line 4), and Line 16 says only those military badges authorized on the AF uniform.

Unless I've missed the hidden gem that specifies that only two badges can be worn on BDUs, seems to me that 3 badges was perfectly legal.

My XO was a pretty good guardhouse lawyer, too, so I'm about 99% certain between him and I that we would not have put badges on the uniform in the wrong place or out of order. (then again, I'm trying to remember. We might have set that uniform up prior to the 2005 release of 39-1, and the prior manual *might* have been a little more specific about badges..)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cool Mace

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 10:22:29 PM
Quote from: Cool Mace on February 19, 2012, 10:17:30 PM
Burn the string!!!

Meh, it got cut off.  Nothing to see here.

Sorry, I had to say something since no one else did. That's the way things go on here, right?  >:D
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 04:32:44 PM
Quote from: Chief2009 on February 19, 2012, 03:06:54 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 19, 2012, 01:36:13 AM
Well you didn't waste any time >:D.

I didn't, but Vanguard is >:(

If somebody has the visual representation, I'd appreciate it.

That picture is truly worth the 1000 words. I'm bringing a new BBDU shirt to have the insignia put on. I just printed it out and made a few notes.

NIN

Quote from: phirons on February 21, 2012, 04:19:34 PM
That picture is truly worth the 1000 words. I'm bringing a new BBDU shirt to have the insignia put on. I just printed it out and made a few notes.

Bringing it where? To your sewing machine, right? :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Chief2009

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: NIN on February 21, 2012, 09:55:47 PM
Quote from: phirons on February 21, 2012, 04:19:34 PM

Bringing it where? To your sewing machine, right? :)

Nope it's broken. I got a reference for a tailor from a local NG officer. We'll see how it comes out.