Wings and GT Badge spacing

Started by Chief2009, February 19, 2012, 01:27:10 AM

Chief2009

Recently someone had posted a nice PDF or Word file with an illustration of the proper spacing between wings and the GT badge on BDU's.

After searching, I cannot find it. Could anyone who has it please post it again? It would help my seamstress.
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Spaceman3750

Well you didn't waste any time >:D.

1/2 inch, white to white.

Chief2009

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 19, 2012, 01:36:13 AM

I didn't, but Vanguard is >:(

If somebody has the visual representation, I'd appreciate it.
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

NIN

Quote from: Chief2009 on February 19, 2012, 03:06:54 PM

I didn't, but Vanguard is >:(

If somebody has the visual representation, I'd appreciate it.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Not quite.

It's White-to-blue between the GTM and the branch tape, and white-to-white between the wings and the GTM.

Note the spacing on NIN's is 1/8 higher above the tape, which is correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2012, 06:52:30 PM

Not quite.

It's White-to-blue between the GTM and the branch tape, and white-to-white between the wings and the GTM.

My sew-on job is a bit deceiving.  Your eye is drawn to the "space between the blue" not the "distances between the white."  But your visual  sense of order says that the space between the badges and the badge and nametag should be "the same."   If you do the whole "Top of nametag to white" and then "white-to-white" bit between the GT Badge and wings, there will be a pretty good sized gap between the nametag and the badge that is not evenly reflected between the GT badge and the wings.

I slightly cheated the GT badge to make that difference less obvious. It makes the whole thing look "more right," but I think if you threw a ruler on the whole thing, it would be off by a tiny bit.

I know, I know, but I swear, I couldn't look at my uniform and have it not appear correct even when it was.  By the time you make Lt Col, nobody is doing those kinds of inspections on you, so I adjusted a little. (its probably less than 1/8" of an inch)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 07:02:40 PMBy the time you make Lt Col, nobody is doing those kinds of inspections on you, so I adjusted a little. (its probably less than 1/8" of an inch)

Other Lt. Col's do.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPsteve

i have a question about placing of the badges.
Does Military badges go above the CAP badges since the Military are Federal badges in all cases?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2012, 06:52:30 PM

Not quite.

His is wings to GTM.

CAPsteve

The "white" is the badge.  The "blue background" is NOT.  Should be "white" to "white"

Eclipse

No.

The GTM / IC, or MOS badge always goes in the same place, regardless of the source, wings are always worn on the top.

If yo choose to wear two sets of wings, the military wings are placed below the CAP wings.  See Page 16 of 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 19, 2012, 07:53:23 PM
The "white" is the badge.  The "blue background" is NOT.  Should be "white" to "white"

Not on the branch tape.

Properly placed, the white of the GTM is 3/8" above the branch tape, and the command badge is 3/8" above the name tape.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2012, 07:03:46 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 07:02:40 PMBy the time you make Lt Col, nobody is doing those kinds of inspections on you, so I adjusted a little. (its probably less than 1/8" of an inch)

Other Lt. Col's do.

Allow me to rephrase: Not in my wing.  I didn't stand a single uniform inspection in a CAP uniform after I made Lt Col. (and I can count the number of times on the fingers of one hand someone used a stitch gauge on me as a senior)

The funny thing was, a guy in my unit had sewn his GT bade and observer wings on correctly and it looked odd (but, on measurement, it was correct). Standing us each side-by-side, my uniform "looked" correct, his, even though it was 100% IAW 39-1, "looked" wrong.

I shared my "ancient Chinese secret" with him, and the next week his BDUs were adjusted and they looked great.  >:D

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Granted, adult members are rarely formally inspected, on this issue, just like the way the BDU cap is supposed to be configured, the way you can
tell if someone actually read the regs, is that it looks "wrong".

So in this case, the "right" guys, are the ones doing their own thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 19, 2012, 07:49:11 PM
i have a question about placing of the badges.
Does Military badges go above the CAP badges since the Military are Federal badges in all cases?

Generally speaking, yes.  I don't believe that the order of precedence is specified in 39-1, but its an unspoken rule that military badges go above CAP badges.

My XO was a former AF loadmaster and retired Army Guard Major (one of the few times you'll hear of a loadtoad making good, BTW), so so he had a GT badge, CAP Observer wings and his AF aircrew wings.  We dug up AF aircrew in white on ultramarine (old skool, too, from the 60s that was) and I stitched his tower of power up real nice: GT, Observer, Aircrew

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2012, 08:19:00 PM
Granted, adult members are rarely formally inspected, on this issue, just like the way the BDU cap is supposed to be configured, the way you can
tell if someone actually read the regs, is that it looks "wrong".

So in this case, the "right" guys, are the ones doing their own thing.

But there are like 3 people who know that "if it looks wrong, its right." You're one of them, I'm one of them, and there is this dude someplace in SWR. And I'm @#$% retired now :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 08:19:39 PMGenerally speaking, yes.  I don't believe that the order of precedence is specified in 39-1, but its an unspoken rule that military badges go above CAP badges.

The order is prescribed on page 16 of CAPM 39-1.

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 08:19:39 PM
My XO was a former AF loadmaster and retired Army Guard Major (one of the few times you'll hear of a loadtoad making good, BTW), so so he had a GT badge, CAP Observer wings and his AF aircrew wings.  We dug up AF aircrew in white on ultramarine (old skool, too, from the 60s that was) and I stitched his tower of power up real nice: GT, Observer, Aircrew

Ok, seriously?  Three badges?  Nice or not, that's way fubar.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 08:15:41 PM
Allow me to rephrase: Not in my wing.  I didn't stand a single uniform inspection in a CAP uniform after I made Lt Col. (and I can count the number of times on the fingers of one hand someone used a stitch gauge on me as a senior)

I can't say that I've ever had anyone make me stand for inspection as a senior...ever.  Then again, my uniforms always looks tip-top and I'm usually the one that ends up telling people the pink boa can't be worn with their BDUs.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NIN

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 19, 2012, 09:52:58 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2012, 08:15:41 PM

I can't say that I've ever had anyone make me stand for inspection as a senior...ever.  Then again, my uniforms always looks tip-top and I'm usually the one that ends up telling people the pink boa can't be worn with their BDUs.

I remember that guy!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Cool Mace

CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.