A Quick Alternative?

Started by exFlight Officer, September 05, 2011, 10:12:06 PM

exFlight Officer

I have a pair of standard/normal epaulets that I have to put on my AF Lightweight Jacket. I do not have the hook and loop epaulets yet. Is there a quick way to put the epaulets on the lightweight jacket besides velcro?

I thought about cutting the epaulets at the seem and sticking a pin in them but I wanted to ask here to see if there is a better solution.

Thanks

Eclipse

Just order the correct ones.

Standard shirt epaulet sleeves are smaller and will not fit properly on the jacket.  Just as you can spot people wearing the velcro ones on a shirt
from 10K feet, so can yo spot when someone slit open the standard ones and tried to make them fit on a jacket.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Actually I did something similar, but used a bit of velcro.  I split them open at the bottom of the seam, since "the fold" is smaller then the epaulette on the jacket, I simply ironed it down flat to size.  I attached some sticky velcro I had to the bottom of both items so it holds and it looks pretty good to me. 

When worn (second photograph) it lays flat and against my shoulder, you can't tell if the bottom is split open or not unless you physically walked up, and lifted up the epaulette to take a peek (or made them hold both arms high in the air like they are being arrested). 

Not 100% perfect, but still looks really neat (in my opinion better then the hook & loop version) and not as noticeable as someone wearing the hook and loops on a regular shirt, which is very noticeable.

I don't have big broad shoulders either, so YMMV. 

Photos:--

exFlight Officer

Eclipse - Alright. I will order new ones when my squadron places an order.

Spacecommand - Thanks! Turns out well on the zip up.

Thank You both for the responses. Have a good day!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Has been

Just for clarity - As I understand it the blue "flappy thing" on the shoulder is the epaulet, the gray thing with your grade on it is the shoulder mark.

I (carefully) cut the stiches on the epulet, at the neck, slid the shoulder on and replaced the stiches I cut with a small bit of velcro on the epulet and the body of the jacket. Now I can take them on and off as I need and I need one less set of shoulder marks. (I am cheap) They fit fine.

Eclipse

Quote from: Has been on September 29, 2011, 12:03:26 AM
Just for clarity - As I understand it the blue "flappy thing" on the shoulder is the epaulet, the gray thing with your grade on it is the shoulder mark.
The slide-on thingie is called an "epaulet sleeve".

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on September 29, 2011, 12:34:02 AM
Quote from: Has been on September 29, 2011, 12:03:26 AM
The slide-on thingie is called an "epaulet sleeve".

Thingie? How about grade insignia?

Per CAPM 39-1 and AFI 36-2903, shoulder mark is also correct.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I'm partial to slide-on kerjiger myself.

RogueLeader

I took mine to an AF cleaner, and they sewed the epaulet down to where the shoulder mark fit correctly. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340