Main Menu

Safety Vests

Started by JCW0312, November 16, 2007, 03:20:51 AM

JCW0312

I was looking at the hock shop website and noticed that the orange reflective safety vest is "disallowed by law in California". I know CA has some pretty crazy laws, but this one really has me confused. Anyone know why this vest is illegal in CA?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

By the way, if this has come up before, I apologize for wasting a thread. I searched the site, but couldn't find anything.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

mikeylikey

Some crazy carcinogen law most likely.......like it "causes cancer in rats".  I remember a optical mouse years ago sold by Radioshack that had a disclaimer "illegal to be used in California, under (insert health code). has been shown to cause cancer in animals".
What's up monkeys?

JCW0312

Wouldn't surprise me. I have seen some crazy things that were illegal for use in California. Not to mention the strick motor vehicle exhaust laws (which I guess could definitely be a good thing).

I guess if I order that vest, I'll just have to remind myself not to eat it every time I feel the urge...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

RiverAux

Interesting as I'm sure that wearing orange is probably required of deer hunters in the state, though they normally don't use reflective vests...

jeders

I seem to remember someone bringing this up as a side point on some topic either here or CS. Can't remember what the reason was, or even where the thread was.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JCW0312

Quote from: jeders on November 16, 2007, 04:22:52 AM
I seem to remember someone bringing this up as a side point on some topic either here or CS. Can't remember what the reason was, or even where the thread was.

Well, if anyone should remember, I'd be interested to know.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

SAR-EMT1

Is it so that we are not confused as union members of CalTrans?  :)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JCW0312

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 18, 2007, 04:13:02 AM
Is it so that we are not confused as union members of CalTrans?  :)

Makes as good of sense as any other explanation....  :D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

isuhawkeye

This notice recently cam out from the Iowa Highway folks. 

QuoteThe specific language of Title 23, Code of Federal Regulations Part 634 – Worker Visibility – is as follows:

All workers within the right-of-way of a federal-aid highway who are exposed either to traffic (vehicles using the highway for purposes of travel) or to construction equipment within the work area shall wear high visibility safety apparel.

All Iowa interstate and primary (state route designation) highways, as well as many county roads and city streets, are federal-aid highways for purposes of compliance with this regulation.   

Effective November 24, 2008, as specified in this regulation, any individual (worker) whose work activities place him/her within a federal-aid highway right-of-way will be required to wear high visibility safety apparel. 

As per this regulation, high-visibility safety apparel is defined as personal protective safety clothing that is intended to provide conspicuity during both daytime and nighttime usage and meets the Performance Class 2 or 3 requirements of the ANSI/ISEA 107–2004 publication entitled ''American National Standard for High-Visibility Safety Apparel and Headwear.''

This material is making its way around the Emergency response community.

Does it apply to CAP???  I think it could

Pylon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on November 21, 2007, 04:30:44 PMDoes it apply to CAP???  I think it could

It might apply if CAP volunteers find themselves on a federal-aid highway roadside, fit within the definitions of "worker" as used by Title 26 CFR Part 634, and are exposed to either traffic or construction equipment where they're doing their CAP activities.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

from the document

QuoteWorkers are defined as people on foot whose duties place them within the right of way of a federal-aid highway such as highway construction and maintenance forces, survey crews, utility crews, incident responders and law enforcement personnel when performing duties such as directing traffic, investigating crashes or handling lane closures or obstructed roadways.

Most of the paved highways in my state, and even many city streets are federally subsidised. 

I added the bold

JCW0312

Apparently safety vests make more waves than I ever realized. The police dept I work for recently purchased a bunch of custom reflective lime green safety vests for all of the officers. I don't know who the manufacturer of the vests was, but within about a month, someone from the federal government showed up (I think he was with OSHA, but don't quote me on it) and took one of the vests to be tested for ANSI compliance. He brought it back a few weeks later along with some laboratory result letter showing that the vests were up to par and could be used. I thought this was odd, but we have a couple of US Highways that go through our city. I can only assume that this has to do with that federal regulation...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

But, I'm still confused about some vests being illegal in California. Anyone???
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

SarDragon

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 22, 2007, 05:11:16 AM
But, I'm still confused about some vests being illegal in California. Anyone???

Call The Hock and get more specific information.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JCW0312

I might do that after the Thanksgiving holiday is over. When I tried a google search for 'safety vests illegal california', I ran across a few other websites that had vests for sale that were listed as illegal in California. Still, none had any reason why.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

PHall

Can you say "Urban Myth"? When you do call the Hock, ask him. Should be an interesting answer.
Then ask him what his source is for this infomation.

I willing to bet it will go along the lines of "I heard this from somebody else......".

JCW0312

"But I saw it on TV! It must be true..." ;D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

I also noticed on the hock's website that there's also a poncho (not the military issue one) that also is unlawful in California. Maybe one of these days I'll call the hock and ask...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Duke Dillio

Just a thought but I know in California there are certain types of fabric and clothing that are illegal because they do not meet some fire code or something like that.  I know that I have seen other types of clothing that were illegal in California because of this reason.