Bring back the Royal Blue Flight suit

Started by dogboy, October 16, 2007, 08:40:44 PM

Larry Mangum

Several years ago during a SAREX an aircrew was required to actually guide the Ground Team to the actual PELT location versus just taking off as soon as the team was in the vicinity. The terrain was boggy with dense brush and trees, with only random areas that were not covered by canopy.   The Ground Team was successfully guided to within 50 feet of the PELT by the use of air to ground communications  and the use of a signal mirror to mark the teams position.

During the debrief the aircrew stated that one of the things that really helped besides the use of the signal mirror and radio, was the Blue BDU's worn by one of the Senior Members. 

Since that, I have been told several times by different aircrews that it is much easier to identify people on the ground when they are wearing blue or any other non naturally occurring color.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

isuhawkeye

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

isuhawkeye

P.S. they are  not rangers either "Gasp"

mikeylikey

Orange hardhats and vests are not a bad thing!
What's up monkeys?

Flying Pig

Get something with a chin strap.  Cuz it aint gonna stay if you take a good fall.

Larry Mangum

Orange vests do help,  and should be worn, but along the northern states from Maine to Washington, they blend in quite well with the fall foliage.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

wingnut

NASA requires Orange flight suits for the Astronaut's only during launch and landing, its a pressure suit with an elt device in the Parachute pack and a prc121 in the suit pocket.

The USAF use to require orange flight suits in the pre nomex days of the 50s and 60s, I think fat guys look like clowns in an Orange suit, Hence I shall never wear one. Now Smokey he would look like a circus midget in one >:D

Hawk200

Has anyone ever submitted anything to the effect of adopting the garish lime green color vests for our operations?

I know the stuff can be almost retina burning, but it would certainly get the job done. And we all know that color is in no way natural.

Dragoon

Lime green would be a good idea - the pushback would be "they aren't as cheap as orange ones - our cadets can't afford them."

I've seen that argument trump common sense over and over again.

bosshawk

Grumpy: your report that CAWG allows the orange flight suit just made my day.  I wore one in the Army in Korea in 63-64 and loved it.  Always figured that I just might get found if I had to eject in that God-forsaken place.  I just might exercise my prerogative as a rebel and get one to wear in CA.

BTW: I concur with you folks who don't like the Royal Blue bag.  I do like the dark blue one.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

mikeylikey

Quote from: bosshawk on October 19, 2007, 11:17:43 PM
Grumpy: your report that CAWG allows the orange flight suit just made my day.  I wore one in the Army in Korea in 63-64 and loved it.  Always figured that I just might get found if I had to eject in that God-forsaken place.  I just might exercise my prerogative as a rebel and get one to wear in CA.

BTW: I concur with you folks who don't like the Royal Blue bag.  I do like the dark blue one.

So Colonel, are you a big fan of Kimchi??
What's up monkeys?

bosshawk

Nope: could never get a fork full past my nose.  Couldn't do Nuc Mam, either when I was in VN.  Other than those sorts of things, I still couldn't find much in either country to cause me to want to go back.  Now, Germany was a different story!!!!!

I did go back to Korea in 96 for the retirement of the OV-1 Mohawks: still the same place, just more people and more traffic.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

O-Rex

Bosshawk:

Did two tours  in the 80's as a T.O. with A/3rd MI (sitting, second from the left) never did get my fill of Kimchi or OV-1's.

I understand that 69-17001 (pictured) is now on display at the Humphreys main gate.  I only got to see orange flightsuits (with Indian Patch!) in training films.

mikeylikey

Quote from: bosshawk on October 20, 2007, 02:55:06 AM
Nope: could never get a fork full past my nose.  Couldn't do Nuc Mam, either when I was in VN.  Other than those sorts of things, I still couldn't find much in either country to cause me to want to go back.  Now, Germany was a different story!!!!!

I did go back to Korea in 96 for the retirement of the OV-1 Mohawks: still the same place, just more people and more traffic.

Yes Germany was by-far the TASTIEST place I have ever been to!  Otherwise I did grow fond of Kimchi, and always look for it at those Korean restaurants outside most Army posts in the States now!  Korea was a very unique experience, some of my best suits were made by real tailors there.  I am trying to get back there......but with everything going on in the world, I am happy with my 1 year there.
What's up monkeys?

O-Rex

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 20, 2007, 04:08:44 AM
some of my best suits were made by real tailors there. 

I couldn't believe it:

Suit custom tailor-made by Korean Tailor in the ROK: $120

Suit tailor-made by Korean Tailor in the US: $1050

My $75 dress-shirts say "made in Korea."  Back in the day, they would throw them in for free when you bought the suit.

You don't know what you have until it's gone....

mikeylikey

Quote from: O-Rex on October 20, 2007, 05:08:51 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on October 20, 2007, 04:08:44 AM
some of my best suits were made by real tailors there. 

I couldn't believe it:

Suit custom tailor-made by Korean Tailor in the ROK: $120

Suit tailor-made by Korean Tailor in the US: $1050

My $75 dress-shirts say "made in Korea."  Back in the day, they would throw them in for free when you bought the suit.

You don't know what you have until it's gone....

So true.  Korea is a good place to start on a military career.  Then again, Italy is not "all that bad" either!  I am pressing to get back to Korea to get a pair of Blues made up for when the Army nixes the Greens altogether!  Perhaps some R&R on my next vacation to the middle east will be a good time to head over to the ROK!
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Don't bring back the Royal Blue flight Suit. 
What's up monkeys?

bosshawk

O-rex and mikelikey: Korea was not my favorite duty location, but I did enjoy the flying.  I, too, had uniforms and suits made there and they lasted forever.

When we started the Hawk unit, we decided on orange flight suits for pilots and TOs: we wanted to be noticed.  We were and took a lot of crap from the other Army aviators for it, but they remembered who we were.

Ah yes, days gone by(long gone by).

Mikey: Space A to Korea isn't too hard to get: not too many people want to travel from CONUS to the ROK.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777