Old "C.A.P." cutout in new silver mirror finish/mess dress boards

Started by NAYBOR, October 10, 2007, 08:15:35 PM

NAYBOR

Anyone know where/if I could find the "old" CAP cutout (you know, the ones that had the periods between the letters and had the same letter 'font' as the present "U.S." cutouts), but in the present silver mirror finish?  [Did anyone ever make the old ones in silver?]  Or know someone that could make them?  If someone actually has the old brass ones, could you post a picture of them here on the board so i can use them to have someone make a mockup?  I found a picture from an old 1948-49 CAP uniform manual page posted on Wiki, but these were of a drawing of them, and too small to be useful.  Just for an idea I'd like to submit..

Also, can someone post a picture on the board of what the BOTTOM of an AF (or CAP) Officer mess dress board looks like (the side with the loops)?

BillB

The C.A.P. cutouts were in silver, however they do not have the shine that the current version without the periods. There were two on eBay two weeks ago, and there may be some there now.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

I have both cadet and SM versions of the olde chrome cutouts. Why do you want them? They are no longer authorized.

The silver ones went away long before I joined in '64. I don't recall ever seeing any brass ones, nor does my reference make any mention of brass items.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NAYBOR

I'm sorry, I assumed they were brass or gold colored.  I assumed this because the picture from Wiki of the old brown Army uniform from WWII with CAP cutouts looked like they were bras or gold colored.

I want a set or 2 to actually see what an idea I have for the uniform looks like before actually suggesting it.  It may look like [donkey] for all I know.

SarDragon

Well, I'm not giving mine up. Sorry. You might look on eBay, but that might cost more than you want to spend for an experiment. The new ones without the periods look better, anyway, IMHO.

BTW, the "brass" color might just have been a reflection of the uniform color.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2007, 10:24:58 PM
Well, I'm not giving mine up. Sorry. You might look on eBay, but that might cost more than you want to spend for an experiment. The new ones without the periods look better, anyway, IMHO.

When the CAP was under the AAF they used Army type branch insignia which is brass (or gold plate). The Air Force uniform wasn't designed until the very late and in general supply until early 50's (52-53). This means the the Gold/brass insignia were in use  for quite a while.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

BillB

There is a C.A.P. and a C.A.P.C. cutouts on ebay, no ruch to bid since you have almost a week of bidding.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BillB

The Army style brass was a silver prop with gold wings. CAP's branch insignia was solid silver prop and wings. CAP has never had any gold colored insignia except for the Cadet Warrent Officer (gold single pip) and 2Lt & Major insignia
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 11, 2007, 12:22:29 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2007, 10:24:58 PM

When the CAP was under the AAF they used Army type branch insignia which is brass (or gold plate). The Air Force uniform wasn't designed until the very late and in general supply until early 50's (52-53). This means the the Gold/brass insignia were in use  for quite a while.

My reference shows no reference to any gold/brass insignia. The same cutouts were used from 7/42 until 11/66, and were silver, or later chrome.

As for pilot wings, all the items available on eBay alleged to be WWII USAAC/USAAF are silver.

What is the source of your info?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NAYBOR

SarDragon, I can understand you're not wanting to sell the one's you have.  Can you post pictures of them here on the board, though?

SarDragon

Quote from: NAYBOR on October 11, 2007, 02:07:50 AM
SarDragon, I can understand you're not wanting to sell the one's you have.  Can you post pictures of them here on the board, though?

Yeah, if I can find them. Gimme a couple of days on that. We're talking 40 yo stuff here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NAYBOR

alamrcn

I do have all of the primary collar insignia worn since the beginning, and I'll try to scan and upload them tonight in one image so you can compair. Hopefully the scan will be a good enough represnetation of their colors, materials, etc. I'll also note their specific dates of use where available according to the "Ragan Catalog" mentioned above.

Speaking only from memory, there is a cut-out with a slight yellowish tinge metal which I think might actually be called "white brass".

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SarDragon

OK, latest update.

Can't find the olde chrome ones.

I did find the replacement type, and will get those posted later today.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NAYBOR

Alamcrn and SarDragon, thank you very much for taking the time to do this!

BillB

I tried posting the photo of the C.A.P.C cutout that is listed on eBay, but got the magic red x
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Hawk200

I have an old set of observer wings (droop style) and a couple sets of old type CAP cutouts that have developed some patina to them, and as such have a bit of yellow tinge to them. Some people have confused that for them being actual brass in color.

alamrcn

Ok, the weekend fell through for getting some home computer time to get the collar cut-out insignia scanned in. But I'm home alone for about 1.5 hours this evening and SHOULD be able to get it done! That is if I don't forget between now and.... hey, wanna go ride bikes?

Quote from: NAYBORAlamcrn

ALAMRCN is my car license plate... "All American" for those who aren't good at these type of word games. "ALAMCRN" would be something like "All a Macaroon"... which are very yummy!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

Ok, here they are. The scan unforunately makes them look old and ugly, but they are definately not so.

The bottom row are the two current insignia, and the first "CAP" without periods is the white bronze one we've been talking about.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SarDragon

Wow! You got 'em all. Taking a picture with some side lighting would have worked better, but what you posted shows the basic differences.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NAYBOR

WOW!  OK, great, thank you very much!

The most recent CAP cutout looks closest to the "U.S." it would seem.  The old CAP cuotuts with periods are too spaced out, it would seem.

OK, great, that answeres my question!  Thanks!

alamrcn

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota