Main Menu

Mystery uniform

Started by Dad2-4, October 07, 2007, 12:42:24 AM

Dad2-4

I was at a public event today where a couple of local CAP units had a static display as well as putting in service work. Among several other uniform issues I noticed, one SM had on grey slacks, a blue shirt that was slightly darker than the average USAF style, and dark blue Captain's epaulets with no "CAP". What was that? ???

AlphaSigOU

It's called someone who either has no clue on the proper wear of the uniform or doesn't care.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

CASH172

Seems like everything except for the white shirt was OK.

jimmydeanno

Yep, you see weird things all the time and no one is willing to "call out" people doing it.

I was at VAWG encampment when the TPU first started rolling out.  One of the SM (Maj) decided that he was going to change to the TPU - fine.

The only problem was that he completely chose to ignore the policy letter stating that it was supposed to be a WHITE aviator shirt with AF Blue epaulets.  All he did was take his blues uniform and put on AF epaulets.

I called him out on it telling him he is essentially passing himself off as an AF Officer.  He tried to tell me that it says blue shirt.  He went and got the policy letter where it specifically says "white," then told me they "changed it" to blue.

Good Grief...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JayT

At encampent two years ago, we had SM's wearing their grade insignia on their garrison caps rather then the SM hat badge (This was during the two or so weeks when grade insignia was permitted on the right side of the hat.)
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

What's a garrison cap? Does CAP even have those? I can't find them in my 39-1.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JayT

Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2007, 01:08:22 AM
What's a garrison cap. Does CAP even have those? I can't find them in my 39-1.  :)

Opps, been spending too much time talking about British cadets.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Dad2-4

Quote from: CASH172 on October 07, 2007, 12:57:02 AM
Grey pants with white shirt = grey epaulets with "CAP"
Blue AF pants with white shirt = blue epaulets w/o "CAP"
Correct?

CASH172

Opps, I thought I read he was wearing a blue set of pants.  Well in that case, he should've been wearing a golf shirt with no insignia. 

Eclipse

If you don't take him aside and call it to his attention, you are part of the problem.

I mean, of course, a private, low-key conversation, or maybe slip him a business card and ask that he call you after the event.

The alternative would be a professional note to his commander.

Apparently the other members in his unit are also clueless, or don't respect him enough to correct him.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 07, 2007, 01:18:38 AM
Quote from: CASH172 on October 07, 2007, 12:57:02 AM
Grey pants with white shirt = grey epaulets with "CAP"
Blue AF pants with white shirt = blue epaulets w/o "CAP"
Correct?

Correct.  Grey = Grey, Blue = Blue

lordmonar

What's a garrison cap? Does CAP even have those? I can't find them in my 39-1.  :)

Grab your "flight cap" and take a look at what the label says.

Mine says "Cap, Garrison, Man's, Air Force Blue".

So....who is wrong....the guys who make the Garrison Cap or 39-1? :)

BTW.....have you checked out the uniform of the day for the Annual Banquet at the CAWG Conference? >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on October 07, 2007, 05:20:12 AM

Grab your "flight cap" and take a look at what the label says.

Mine says "Cap, Garrison, Man's, Air Force Blue".

So....who is wrong....the guys who make the Garrison Cap or 39-1? :)

BTW.....have you checked out the uniform of the day for the Annual Banquet at the CAWG Conference? >:D

My hat - it's 20 years olde, and I can barely read the AF certification, much less any other labeling. I'll take your word for it.

CAWG Conf UOD - they're ignorant, what can I say. You gonna be there?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: lordmonar on October 07, 2007, 05:20:12 AM

Let me guess....BDU's and Flight suits....

Dad2-4

So this guy wasn't just an old SM wearing some really outdated combination? I know that we've gone through many uniform variations in our history, but I've never seen or heard of what this guy was wearing.   

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 07, 2007, 01:23:56 PM
So this guy wasn't just an old SM wearing some really outdated combination? I know that we've gone through many uniform variations in our history, but I've never seen or heard of what this guy was wearing.   

Trust me, there are some fellow senior members in CAP who are under the misguided notion that uniform regulations do not apply to them. And then we wonder why when the RealAirForce® has conniption fits over how bad CAP looks in uniform. It's a minor miracle they haven't taken away the privilege of wearing AF style.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

Did anybody consider the possibility that this guy had to dress in a closet because some husband came home from work early?

NOBODY is that ignorant to wear something like that out in public.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 07, 2007, 12:42:24 AM
I was at a public event today where a couple of local CAP units had a static display as well as putting in service work. Among several other uniform issues I noticed, one SM had on grey slacks, a blue shirt that was slightly darker than the average USAF style, and dark blue Captain's epaulets with no "CAP". What was that? ???

That sir was GENIUS!  That is our NEXT uniform change.  I can't wait.  Glad you got it out there for the CAP leadership to see. 

You see.....that man you referenced, washed his CHEAP Walmart ($12.99) grey slacks with his even cheaper faux AF aviator shirt together in the WASH.  The cheap Chinese dye ran from the pants and infiltrated the shirt.  What was he supposed to do??  Not go to the event?  He also lost his grey CAP rank slides, he had to borrow the AF slides.
  I am surprised you did not approach him and ask "what the crap are you wearing"?  Or better yet......"Where is the person in charge of this event"?
What's up monkeys?

JayT

We have SM's out here wearing blue pants with white shirt, no hat, and grey shoulder marks.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2007, 06:42:29 AMMy hat - it's 20 years olde, and I can barely read the AF certification, much less any other labeling. I'll take your word for it.

If its really 20 years old, its probably the wrong color and material...

"That Others May Zoom"