The end of the TPU?

Started by floridacyclist, October 03, 2007, 04:32:58 PM

With Gen. Pineda officialy out will we keep the TPU?

Yes
61 (64.9%)
No
33 (35.1%)

Total Members Voted: 94

MIKE

Topics merged.  Use the search feature before posting new topics.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: Smokey on October 03, 2007, 07:36:50 PM
It's the TPU becuase it was presented by TP to the NEC without warning and they were told to vote on it.  Not wanting to loose thier heads (Eagles), they nodded and said "OK". 

Sounds a bit too "simplistic" to be true.  This is, after all, the United States of America and a volunteer organization; to suggest that one man "strong armed" the NEC for fear of reprisals from this man Pineda is less plausable than for the NEC to have been in true support.

The correct action by the NEC, if they had objections, was to "table" the motion...or deny a vote.

I saw the same sort on inaction, tacit approval, with the "US CIVIL AIR PATROL NAMETAPES."  If there were to have been any objections, people have got to have stood up.

I am qualified to wear the AF uniform, so I won't be jumping into the TPU.  But IMHO the dbl breasted makes the fat folks look fatter, the silver braid looks like you  work for Delta and I think the whole thing just pissed off the AF.
As do I, I have no plans to get that combo.

The last part is quite untrue.  I spoke with a very important Col and he expressed to me that no cared about it...it was considered an "interal CAP" thing of which the USAF had no control.  Basically, that we made more of it than they did.  Also, that the halls of the pentagon and SAC bases were NOT filled with talk of  it.

Plus I've seen all sorts of combinations including the white aviator shirt with AF epaulets and gray pants, with a grey nametag also a white aviator shirt with grey epaulets and blue pants and blue nametag.  Sheesh.

This is an issue of individuals, not masses.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

SAC bases?

Man, there ain't been SAC bases since I had an 8-track in my car!
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 03, 2007, 08:30:36 PM
SAC bases?

For effect...Kach, only for effect! ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

CAP_truth

Read AFI 10-2701 section 1.3.4 about our uniforms. The USC and the CAP corporate constitution states that the name of the corporation is "Civil Air Patrol" not "U. S. Civil Air Patrol". Maybe the cutouts should be USCAP. Just food for discussion
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Major Carrales

Quote from: USCAP_truth on October 03, 2007, 09:35:21 PM
Read AFI 10-2701 section 1.3.4 about our uniforms. The USC and the CAP corporate constitution states that the name of the corporation is "Civil Air Patrol" not "U. S. Civil Air Patrol". Maybe the cutouts should be USCAP. Just food for discussion

AFI 10-2701 does not govern us as individuals in Civil Air Patrol, that would be (en re uniforms), CAPM 39-1.

Now, that beging said...I don't think the "US Civil Air Patrol" thing was lumped into the Corporate Service Uniform.  Rather, I think it was one of those..."hey, this would be nifty things."

No one challenged it...if it was so "disturbing" why didn't Wing and Region commanders rais emore of a voice? 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

TankerT

Don't you still have an 8-track in your car?

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

JayT

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 03, 2007, 04:56:46 PM
I don't think the so-called "TPU" will be going anywhere very fast.  Based on teh number of poeple I have seen wearing it in photos (including Brig Gen Courter), at conferences and even some cadets that posts photos on CADETSTUFF (you know who you are...I can see you twitching!)

Frankly, I don't see it as being solely Pineda's doing.  For something like that to be aprroved, it requires more than just an "executive descision" on the part of the National Commander.  I think this was a motion by a broader scope of persons.

In anycase, I do not own one such uniform for even a single item (save for the CAP ribbons, drawers and shoes that are somewhat required  ;)) of that uniform.  Not even a white aviator shirt.

Should I buy one?

That is, without a doubt, the best reference to my cadet stuff handler I've ever see!

LONG LIVE THE TPU FOR CADETS!
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: TankerT on October 03, 2007, 09:55:57 PM

Don't you still have an 8-track in your car?

Not since I got rid of my 1970 Plymouth Duster.  I had some good times in that car. 

Hawk200

Quote from: USCAP_truth on October 03, 2007, 05:47:29 PM
I think that wearing military ribbons and badges would be nice, but I think it would take a CAP constitution change to make that happen.

It has nothing to do with the CAP constitution. The various military branches determine what decorations they permit on various pieces of civilian clothing, and how it's worn on that clothing. If a military branch says "You may wear your medals on a tux" then that's the matter permitted. It doesn't mean you can wear it on whatever you want.

CAP has no authority or standing on what the military determines as acceptable wear. Too many people have the idea that CAP has implemented the restriction, and it's incorrect. Even though it looks military, the "Corporate Service Coat" is still technically civilian clothing. CAP can decide to wear whatever they want that the corporation has created. They cannot decide to allow awards, decorations, badges or insignia of the military without approval of the military branch in question.

Smokey

Not since I got rid of my 1970 Plymouth Duster.  I had some good times in that car.

Front or back seat Kack??????
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Hawk200

As far as the "Will the TPU stay?", I think it probably will. It was a mistake, but McPeak did the same thing. Hopefully, Amy Courter will follow in Fogleman's footsteps and clean it up. It could use a little work, but overall it's really not a bad concept overall.

isuhawkeye

Not to derail the discussion, but heres a question for you.

the "TPU" has yet to be encapsulated in any regulation.  Mr. Pineda issued emergency orders following each board meeting, and those emergency orders are only valid until the next board meeting. 

Since he did not issue said order following the last board meeting, is the uniform even valid now?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Smokey on October 04, 2007, 12:38:06 AM

Front or back seat Kack??????

Both.

I was an animal.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 04, 2007, 12:42:26 AM
As far as the "Will the TPU stay?", I think it probably will. It was a mistake, but McPeak did the same thing. Hopefully, Amy Courter will follow in Fogleman's footsteps and clean it up. It could use a little work, but overall it's really not a bad concept overall.

I agree with you.

An alternative to the USAF uniform for the chubby rascals has been a long time in coming.  The overall look of the TPU however is that of a Third-World Admiral of a patrol boat navy.  Or a Nebraska admiral, I'm not sure.

I don't know why the Air Force is so strict about the weight of CAP members to wear the USAF uniform, but has ZERO rules for state guardsmen who wear the USAF uniform.

My personal choice would be to develop ONE uniform, make it corporate, and ALL officers wear the same one.  Make it close to the USAF uniform so that people can see what team we are on, but sufficiently different that the AF can rest assured that nobody will mistake us for them.

That's not likely, so I hope we can just clean up the TPU, maybe lose the silver braid.

O-Rex

Quote from: Dragoon on October 03, 2007, 07:51:04 PM
it makes everyone look like Chief O'Hara on Batman.  Not the best choice

Saints alive, lad: bite yer tongue!

Eclipse

Quote from: Dragoon on October 03, 2007, 07:51:04 PM
(but yeah, going double breasted for a fat boy suit - it makes everyone look like Chief O'Hara on Batman.  Not the best choice)

I can take the personal stuff, I can stand for cracks about CAP leaders and even POTUS, but when you take the name of the single most effective law enforcement officer in the history of alternative universes in vain...well THAT "sir" is cause for an драка!

"That Others May Zoom"

MajorChuck

Theres a rumor that the US in USCAP will go BY BY
Maj.Chuck Cook
Commander
Blue Water Composite Squadron GLR-MI-011
GLR/DCS

Eagle400

Quote from: MajorChuck on October 04, 2007, 04:11:44 AM

Good.  I hope it's true. 

Know anything about the reverse American Flag patches on the BDU?  Are they going to go bye bye too?  That was another Pineda screw-up.   

Major Carrales

Quote from: ♠1 on October 04, 2007, 04:48:01 AM
Quote from: MajorChuck on October 04, 2007, 04:11:44 AM

Good.  I hope it's true. 

Know anything about the reverse American Flag patches on the BDU?  Are they going to go bye bye too?  That was another Pineda screw-up.   

"One Note Charlie..."

'nuff said!

Commander
SWR-TX-454