Replacement Velcro for Flight Suit

Started by Eeyore, October 02, 2007, 08:24:19 PM

Eeyore

So, I've been looking around online and have had no luck with finding replacement olive drab Velcro for the olive drab flight suit.

Anyone here no where to find it?

My Velcro is pretty munched.

Thanks!

pixelwonk

Al Sayre

I usually buy it at the MCSS/Shoppette on the local guard base.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eeyore

How about for the Command Shield and the waist band, I haven't been able to find any that I could even cut to that shape.

SJFedor

Vanguard, et al, sells a length of velcro, either type that you need, and if memory serves me correctly, it measures about 4 in tall by 1 foot long. Should be more then enough.

Also, doesn't the command patch still come with it's own velcro, albeit black?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eeyore

It comes with the velcro "hook" backing but not with the replacement "loop" velcro that is actually sewn on to the flight suit.

But thanks, for all the help. Looks like I'll be putting in another order to Vanguard  :-\

SJFedor

If there's an AAFES store nearby, try there.

Or, you can try a hobby/arts and crafts store. It's a long shot, but they may have what you need.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

SarDragon

Unforkinately, Vanguard has about the cheapest price for hook and loop fastener. Buying it at a fabric store is expensive, for what you are getting. Also, I don't think I've seen it in the 4" width at those places.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

Forget olive-drab, "foliage" velcro on a flight suit works very nicely...

Stonewall

Being a former Life Supporter (AF speak for dealing with flight/survival gear), OD velcro isn't what's supposed to go on AF flight suits.  It's more of a sage green. 

I just remembered this a week ago when I went to replace the velcro on my flight suit for my new unit's patches with OD velcro.  I noticed (and then remembered) that the issue velcro you get from the Life Support shop is slightly, yet noticeably, a different shade of green.  And if I remember correctly, which I may not, the velcro is made of nomex as is the thread that's used to sew it on.

I know, way too anal retentive.  But that's what life support is all about, attention to detail.  That's why the Air Force throws away tons of gear every day that, to you and me, looks brand new and serviceable, but through close inspection, may cause injury or death if sent to the field.

Using OD velcro is fine for us CAPers, I just suggest cutting the velcro to fit the patches instead of what some people do by cutting squares of velcro so as to change patches.  YMMV, but I'm heading to the life support shop this week for some regulation velcro.
Serving since 1987.

pixelwonk

Quote from: Stonewall on October 03, 2007, 03:56:47 PM
...instead of what some people do by cutting squares of velcro so as to change patches. 

Oh I hate that.
Is it so hard for people to cut out a disk or a shield and replace the giant square?  Gosh!

SJFedor

Quote from: tedda on October 03, 2007, 10:28:34 PM
Oh I hate that.
Is it so hard for people to cut out a disk or a shield and replace the giant square?  Gosh!

But alas, let's say, when I'm hard at work sewing my velcro on to the flight suit, I decide that I'm going to affix this patch to it:

Then, 6 months down the road, I have an ADD moment, and decide to rock this patch:

But the base loop velcro is cut in the shape of the first. I think it's more ugly to have some wierd shape that doesn't fit the properly then to just have the square of velcro. YMMV.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

SarDragon

Well, then, you just change the hook and loop fastener.  Both parts. No problemo. At the price Vanguard charges, you have enough for four or five changes in a 4" x 12" piece, cheap.

OBTW, that stuff does not, TTBOMK, come in Nomex. I did a flame test on some old stuff I took off my flight suits, and it all burned nicely. Plain olde nylon or similar synthetic.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

Quote from: SarDragon on October 05, 2007, 06:35:03 AM
Well, then, you just change the hook and loop fastener.  Both parts. No problemo. At the price Vanguard charges, you have enough for four or five changes in a 4" x 12" piece, cheap.

OBTW, that stuff does not, TTBOMK, come in Nomex. I did a flame test on some old stuff I took off my flight suits, and it all burned micely. Plain olde nylon or similar synthetic.

That's A) a lot of work to just change a patch, and B) a quick way to destroy a flight suit. You end up with those little punch holes from where things were previously sewed, not to mention if someone slips up with the seam ripper and cuts a little hole in there.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

SarDragon

Quote from: SJFedor on October 05, 2007, 06:42:57 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 05, 2007, 06:35:03 AM

OBTW, that stuff does not, TTBOMK, come in Nomex. I did a flame test on some old stuff I took off my flight suits, and it all burned micely. Plain olde nylon or similar synthetic.

That's A) a lot of work to just change a patch, and B) a quick way to destroy a flight suit. You end up with those little punch holes from where things were previously sewed, not to mention if someone slips up with the seam ripper and cuts a little hole in there.

A) Yes, it is. That's the price to pay for looking good.

B) If properly sewn in the first place, there shouldn't be significant holes in the fabric. The needle merely moves the fabric fibers aside when going through, and doesn't remove material, unlike a hole punch. The evidence that remains should go away after laundering. Besides, you're going to put another patch in the same location, so most, if not all of the "damage" will be obscured or hidden.

As for using a seam ripper, be careful. I do all my own CAP sewing, and have only made a couple of expensive mistakes. There was significant financial incentive to do it right the first time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

I would do what the USAF does.  In the last update didn't AFI 36-2903 call for a square of Velcro on the right sleeve of the FDU when it was added to the AFI?
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on October 05, 2007, 02:57:08 PM
I would do what the USAF does.  In the last update didn't AFI 36-2903 call for a square of Velcro on the right sleeve of the FDU when it was added to the AFI?

Yup. Quoth AFI 36-2903:

Quote from: AFI 36-2903 (2 Aug 2006) Chapter 3 - Organizational Clothing and Equipment3.2.2.2. Velcro fasteners should normally be (green/tan) in color with a 2X4 inch rectangular
piece of Velcro on the left breast of the FDU/DFDU for placement of the nametag. Center a Velcro
silhouette of the MAJCOM or equivalent emblem on the right breast of the FDU/DFDU, above
the right breast pocket. Velcro for shoulder patches will be 3 ½ inches square.

My CAP Flight Dress Uniform Guide generally follows parts of AFI 36-2903. Lest we enrage the USAF Aircrew Mafia...  ;D

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

pixelwonk

Well, I won't eat crow just yet but I will say that you've given me some things to consider.

Me, I'm still going to cut out velcro in the shape of the patch.  Navy Blue velcro isn't easy to find, for that matter and black sticking out beyond the patch looks like total...

well it just doesn't look nice.

MIKE

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 05, 2007, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: MIKE on October 05, 2007, 02:57:08 PM

Yup. Quoth AFI 36-2903:

Quote from: AFI 36-2903 (2 Aug 2006) Chapter 3 - Organizational Clothing and Equipment3.2.2.2. Velcro fasteners should normally be (green/tan) in color with a 2X4 inch rectangular
piece of Velcro on the left breast of the FDU/DFDU for placement of the nametag. Center a Velcro
silhouette of the MAJCOM or equivalent emblem on the right breast of the FDU/DFDU, above
the right breast pocket. Velcro for shoulder patches will be 3 ½ inches square.

My CAP Flight Dress Uniform Guide generally follows parts of AFI 36-2903. Lest we enrage the USAF Aircrew Mafia...  ;D

I could see having the left sleeve pile side Velcro being cut to flag size for CAP, if the flag will remain standard throughout the organization... Whereas it is not so in the AF IIRC.

Mike Johnston

CFI_Ed

Quote from: edmo1 on October 02, 2007, 08:24:19 PM
So, I've been looking around online and have had no luck with finding replacement olive drab Velcro for the olive drab flight suit.

Anyone here no where to find it?

My Velcro is pretty munched.

Thanks!
www.flightsuits.com  You can order it by the yard, Navy Blue and Sage Green are available.  Just call one of their sales reps and order either hook, loop or both.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on October 05, 2007, 09:04:48 PMI could see having the left sleeve pile side Velcro being cut to flag size for CAP, if the flag will remain standard throughout the organization... Whereas it is not so in the AF IIRC.

Generally, in the RealAirForce, fighter jocks wear their wing patch on the left sleeve or the 'target arm' (fighter weapons school grad) patch on the left sleeve, and the squadron patch on the right sleeve.

Trash haulers - ahem, transport and tanker pilots  ;D - wear the American flag on the left sleeve, wing or squadron patch on the right. CAP generally follows the AMC (Alcoholics Moving Cargo - ahem... Air Mobility Command) way of placing velcro on the green bag.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

A lot of Velcro I've seen on Air Force Life Support prepared uniforms seems to be heavier in weight than the regular stuff you would buy in most stores. Don't know if it's produced to be more fire resistant than regular Velcro.

I don't have a problem with Velcro on flighsuits, as I don't use it. I sew the patches on directly. I don't have to go looking for my patches, and they're always on there when I need the flightsuit.

It would be even easier if we could actually officially use cloth nametags. Just sew it on, and then you don't have to worry about losing anything. Would make having a "go bag" a lot easier.

SarDragon

I use the Velcro attachment to reduce laundry damage to the patches. I have 30 yo patches that look like new because they've only been cleaned when necessary (not very often), and then at the dry cleaners. I dump 3 or 4 in a net bag, and ask nicely, and they get cleaned.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mdickinson

Quote from: tedda on October 02, 2007, 08:36:48 PM
Vanguard has it.
That's correct.
One 4" x 12" sheet of male (hook) Velcro is $2.10 (part number CAP0599W )
One 4" x 12" sheet of female (loop) Velcro is $2.10 (part number CAP0599X )
Shipping charge is $5.30.

Quote from: tedda on October 02, 2007, 08:36:48 PM
Also look at the hock
No. The Hock Shop carries Velcro only in a 2" x 4" rectangle. That would be useful only for attaching a leather wings patch.

Quote from: CFI_Ed on October 05, 2007, 10:02:33 PM
www.flightsuits.com  You can order it by the yard, Navy Blue and Sage Green are available.  Just call one of their sales reps and order either hook, loop or both.
I checked with them. They do not sell Velcro through their web site - you have to call them at  800-748-6693 to order it. They stock different widths - 1/2", 1", 1.5"", 2", 4" - and they sell a minimum of one yard.

The 4" is $6.75 per yard per side. They charge $4.75 for shipping. So if you buy a 36" piece of hook, and a 36" piece of loop, the total is $18.25.

The same amount from Vanguard would cost you $17.90, but it would arrive as three different 12" pieces, not one 36" piece.

Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2007, 01:07:02 AM
I use the Velcro attachment to reduce laundry damage to the patches. I have 30 yo patches that look like new because they've only been cleaned when necessary (not very often), and then at the dry cleaners.
Absolutely. My flight suit gets sweated in a lot during summer flights, so it gets laundered regularly. But I remove all the patches before throwing it in the wash.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned: attaching the "plastic encased grade" with squares of sage green velcro. I think this looks fine and then it doesn't have to go through the wash either.

SarDragon

Quote from: mdickinson on October 10, 2007, 09:17:32 PM
I checked with them. They do not sell Velcro through their web site - you have to call them at  800-748-6693 to order it. They stock different widths - 1/2", 1", 1.5"", 2", 4" - and they sell a minimum of one yard.

The 4" is $6.75 per yard per side. They charge $4.75 for shipping. So if you buy a 36" piece of hook, and a 36" piece of loop, the total is $18.25.

The same amount from Vanguard would cost you $17.90, but it would arrive as three different 12" pieces, not one 36" piece.

I can't think of a single use for a 36" piece of Velcro, especially 4" wide. It stores easier in the 12" chunks, too.

Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2007, 01:07:02 AM
I use the Velcro attachment to reduce laundry damage to the patches. I have 30 yo patches that look like new because they've only been cleaned when necessary (not very often), and then at the dry cleaners.
Absolutely. My flight suit gets sweated in a lot during summer flights, so it gets laundered regularly. But I remove all the patches before throwing it in the wash.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned: attaching the "plastic encased grade" with squares of sage green velcro. I think this looks fine and then it doesn't have to go through the wash either.

Yeah, I use black for my blue flight suit. Almost indistinguishable. The grade does launder well, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

Quote from: mdickinson link=topic=3206.msg62347#msg62347

Yup.  Ordered a yard of navy loop from them last week (and a pair of navy flight gloves)  Very pleasant folks to deal with.  Company name is Gibson & Barnes now but flightsuits.com is still their website.

I've always done that, up until now, having ordered navy embroidered insignia for my navy-colored bag.  Some folks don't care for the velcro method, but I never liked the fact that the plastic sewn directly to the fabric tends to collect condensation on the underside either. 

SarDragon

I guess I need to wander over to the new store and see what's new. Haven't been there in a couple of years. It's about 6 miles from here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

Williams & Williams (nametags4u.com) sells velcro in various colors and shapes at reasonable prices.

Fifinella

WIWITAF, we cut the "pile" or loop velcro to size for all patches except the square on the right shoulder for "morale patches".  I don't have a problem with continuing to do so in CAP, as long as you use the sage green velcro that is less obtrusive.

I also vote for the velcro rank, for the condensation reasons Tedda mentioned.  And I concur that patches stay nicer-looking longer if they are not routinely laundered.

(Of course, we also used to cut the overflap off our shoulder pencil pocket, and cut off our survival knife pocket... ;D >:D)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

BlueLakes1

Quote from: mdickinson on October 10, 2007, 09:17:32 PMOne thing I haven't seen mentioned: attaching the "plastic encased grade" with squares of sage green velcro. I think this looks fine and then it doesn't have to go through the wash either.

The biggest problem I have with velcro on the grade is that it tends to get hung up on the seatbelt in the aircraft (or car) and pulled off the shoulder. Its a pain when one gets pulled off and lost somewhere and you're asymmetrical.

That being said, I often recommend to new Lieutenants that they use velcro, as their promotions come quickly. Once they hit Captain and have a standard three year TIG before promotion, I recommend direct sewing. YMMV, of course.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Hawk200

...The Hock Shop carries Velcro only in a 2" x 4" rectangle. That would be useful only for attaching a leather wings patch.

Just about every flightsuit I've ever seen in the Air Force doesn't have a large piece of Velcro on the arm, it's usually a couple of 2x4" strips, sewn one directly below the other to where they essentially make one attachment point.

The only cases I've seen of single piece that's larger than 2 inches wide is in CAP.