Any cadets here wear a long-sleeve Blues shirt W/ tie WITHOUT a Blazer?

Started by jfkspotting, May 21, 2017, 01:04:28 AM

jfkspotting

Anyone wear this strange uniform, I feel like I'm the only one ever to do it in NY wing, as at multiple events, everyone else wears service jackets/blazers and the long-sleeve.

Curious if there are other oddballs in CAP ;)

Abby.L

I mean, it's not really an oddball thing. It's an authorized uniform, so I don't see why it's so unique.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

First, it's not a "blazer", especially in a CAP parlance, since the term "blazer" is assigned to another uniform combination.

Second, it's not "unusual", even a little, you can look all over the web for photos as such.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shieldel

I wore long sleeves all the time as a C/First Sgt and when I was Cadet Commander when I didn't have to wear my service coat. But those days are gone. Now I wear wonderful corporates. Before I deployed on FEMA Corps last year, I turned in my papers for senior last June before I reported to my FEMA Campus. After I deployed for FEMA on the FEMA Corps Internship (that I noticed CAP Marketed again this year, cool!)  and grew my hair out, I wasn't shaving! I came home and bought corporates shortly thereafter.

It's really not a "unique" uniform either, as Eclipse mentioned. You can find a plethora of photos online.
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

Brad

You'd be more hard pressed to find short sleeves and tie, but long sleeves and tie happens all the time. In fact long sleeves without tie is not authorized, so either way, service coat or no, you're wearing a tie.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Shieldel

Quote from: Brad on May 26, 2017, 12:39:24 PM
You'd be more hard pressed to find short sleeves and tie, but long sleeves and tie happens all the time. In fact long sleeves without tie is not authorized, so either way, service coat or no, you're wearing a tie.

I despise short sleeve and tie. Dad taught me long sleeves or polo lol, I cringe every time I see short sleeves, just does not look right to me
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

N6RVT

Quote from: Shieldel on May 26, 2017, 09:22:55 PM

I despise short sleeve and tie. Dad taught me long sleeves or polo lol, I cringe every time I see short sleeves, just does not look right to me

The only reason for short sleeves and tie is that you somehow own a service coat without owning a long sleeve shirt.  I suppose if you really need to wear a service coat, but only once or twice a year, that could be the case.

Jester

HGjunkie

I can never get a long sleeve shirt that's long enough that actually fits me properly so I just wear short sleeves 100% of the time.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spam

Quote from: Jester on May 27, 2017, 02:43:55 AM
Short sleeves and tie makes me think of Office Space.

For me, Detective Andy Sipowicz!  (the immortal Dennis Franz)!

TheSkyHornet

I don't no why I see so many short sleeves and tie (without the service coat). Must be a CAP-ism. That's fairly non-standard in my experience. I still have a hard time adjusting to the "Air Force way" sometimes, but I've never really seen that as a practice.

Eclipse

The short sleeve shirt is the minimum basic uniform, and what has been issued to cadets for years, and
is what the voucher gets a Curry cadet from VG.  Absent issuing other uniform items, and despite practices
all over CAP, it's the only uniform that CAP can mandate a cadet possess and wear.

Adding a blue tie for an occasional more formal event, is a lot easier and cheaper then buying a whole new shirt, especially for a growing cadet.

You see it a lot because it's the default uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Shieldel on May 26, 2017, 09:22:55 PMI despise short sleeve and tie. Dad taught me long sleeves or polo lol, I cringe every time I see short sleeves, just does not look right to me

Same here, but you can always pretend its the 1960's and you work at Mission Control. (Except then the shirt has to be white I guess)

Spaceman3750

Quote from: N6RVT on June 02, 2017, 02:09:14 PM
Quote from: Shieldel on May 26, 2017, 09:22:55 PMI despise short sleeve and tie. Dad taught me long sleeves or polo lol, I cringe every time I see short sleeves, just does not look right to me

Same here, but you can always pretend its the 1960's and you work at Mission Control. (Except then the shirt has to be white I guess)

Can we get a crisis vest approved for optional wear? [emoji48]

Cadetter

I have yet to find a service coat in my size, so yes, I wear long-sleeve blues shirt with tie tab when we're supposed to wear best blues. My long sleeve shirt also got ruined last month, so I ended up wearing the short sleeve one with a tie for the past two blues nights until I could find a long-sleeve one in my size. Most cadets in our squadron wear long-sleeve w/tie, with only a few wearing short-sleeve w/tie and even fewer wearing service coats.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 01, 2017, 07:29:30 PM

I don't no why I see so many short sleeves and tie (without the service coat). Must be a CAP-ism. That's fairly non-standard in my experience. I still have a hard time adjusting to the "Air Force way" sometimes, but I've never really seen that as a practice.

*Know

I just scrolled past this and had to correct it.

Don't post from your phone, boys and girls...

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: N6RVT on June 02, 2017, 02:09:14 PM

Don't forget the tab collar, narrow black tie and pocket protector... :) ;) :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040