Main Menu

NEC Minutes 2007

Started by IceNine, May 26, 2007, 07:48:32 PM

IceNine

REMINDER-None of this is official Yet!

OK, let me be the first to open this can of worms .  Good stuff... possible primary instruction for seniors (too bad there's not a emoticon for "holding my breath").  New EOP, minutes say they were attached anyone found out where the attachment is hiding?  We can now promote Region Chief of Staff to Col. Awesome...too bad its only temporary they work awesome hard most the time.  We are finally clarifying the mishap nomenclature, its about time.

Bad stuff-  Why are we wasting time trying to change the way we grade SUI's instead of ensuring that units get their reports in a timely fashion or in some cases get a report at all.  that to me sounds like a considerably more pressing issue. And Finally MY NEW HOTT BUTTON, We are not going to be allowed to contact national and global cooperations, no matter how close they are to our units without the express permission from nationals,  So basically we are no longer allowed to get local funds and resources donated by the major corporations because nationals wants all of that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  if someone has a different view on this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ELTHunter

Quote from: MFD1506 on May 26, 2007, 07:48:32 PM
We are not going to be allowed to contact national and global cooperations, no matter how close they are to our units without the express permission from nationals,  So basically we are no longer allowed to get local funds and resources donated by the major corporations because nationals wants all of that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  if someone has a different view on this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Without reading the minutes, I'd have to say that bites!  Local units can't solicit funds from Walmart and other companies that donate to organizations in their local communities???  First they confiscate our squadron funds through the Wing Banker program, now prevent squadrons from soliciting national corporations.  If they continue down this path, local unit fundraising will be forced underground.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

BillB

Local units contacting their local Walmart was mentioned during the discussion. The proposal was made by the Vice Commander so that CAP could contact the Walmart Foundation. Basically it cuts the legs out of local Squadrons with the "possible" funding going to the CAP Corporation. In the short run this may be a good idea, but in the long run it will kill units. The only way this could help local units would be for National to contact the National United Way and get CAP eligible for local united way funding.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pumbaa

I still say the easiest thing to do is have some of the moms create a "Friends of CAP".  Let them be the local fundraising arm.  When the squadron needs something the friends of come to the rescue.

THat's what moms R 4...

Eclipse

Why are we wasting time trying to change the way we grade SUI's instead of ensuring that units get their reports in a timely fashion or in some cases get a report at all.

A)  In some Wings, the word about their even BEING SUI's was never / poorly passed down, their aren't IG's to do them, and there is no support of smaller units who are running effective programs on a skeleton staff.

B) The whole idea of holding volunteers to an unenforceable standard is silly, especially in cases where if the current staff doesn't feel like it / have time / know how to do it, all you can do is stand them down with no one waiting to take those jobs.

C) SUI's were not a mandate from the USAF, they were our half-baked idea at professionalizing and standardizing the organization.  Then, when the reality of how bad things were started to emerge, right at the time 1st AF is shining a positive light on us, they were trying to make the whole thing go away.  Its that or stand down half the units in the country.

We are not going to be allowed to contact national and global cooperations, no matter how close they are to our units without the express permission from nationals,  So basically we are no longer allowed to get local funds and resources donated by the major corporations because nationals wants all of that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  if someone has a different view on this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I do - we shouldn't be allowing individual units, or even Groups, to be approaching corporations for funding
when NHQ should be doing it - what that gets us is chump change when the corp has thousands to give.
We also don't need unit CC's with political axes to grind (like the mis-guided souls here who think telling contributors that "Wing will >TAKE< anything you give us through Wing bank") telling anything but the "official" story.

Anyone who does fund raising professionally will tell you that BigCorps have tons of cash to give, but won't suffer fools or conflicting stories lightly.  It'll only take one goof ball making an off-handed comment about something that happened to him at a local SAREX to screw the pooch on 6 months of soliciting and meetings.

There are plenty of local funding sources available without nibbling the big guys.  Contact NHQ with ideas, hold their feet to the fire, but leave it to them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

HAHAH!  I just re-read and caught who wrote the original - Happy Birthday and congrats EL-TEE

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

What about when those big corporations have foundations set up specifically to fund small local organizations? 

ELTHunter

With regard to SUI's, that was a good concept but implemented poorly.  When our Group staff began doing them on subordinate units, we had little guidance from higher echelons and even the State Director when it came to actually carring them out.  That's even after our IG went to the National IG college, in Nevada (I think), on his own dime.  If there had not been a few people on our staff that had performed assessments and audits in real life, the whole thing might have gone very poorly.

I agree that the mandates the SUI's put on squadrons are unrealistic.  There is no way most units can do all that is expected of them in the regulations if you go by the letter of the law.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on May 27, 2007, 01:31:52 AM
What about when those big corporations have foundations set up specifically to fund small local organizations?

As someone who does faaar too many grant applications and has won grants from some large and very picky corporations (non-CAP hat), I can say that CAP's rules are reasonable, but that NHQ should work with units on these grants.  If the unit contributes to the grant, I think they should get a nice piece of the pie.  On the other hand, most of our units would be incapable of meeting the requirements for these grants at the local level...audited financial statements, various requirements of the Board...better off letting NHQ deal with some of this stuff.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on May 27, 2007, 01:31:52 AM

I think that would be when you shoot an E-mail to national with the details and get the permission.  I have seen this coming for a while.  What has been happening is some big corporations are getting units asking for funds...and then National shows up two weeks later asking for a big donation and the company guy in charge of that sort of thing is all confused...because he does not understand our relationship.

Finally....(this is not directed at you River) let's not be over dramatic over what is or is not going to kill units.  There are still plenty of local, county and state donors our there.  Just don't be writing to national chains until you got an okay from National.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 27, 2007, 01:45:00 AMI agree that the mandates the SUI's put on squadrons are unrealistic.  There is no way most units can do all that is expected of them in the regulations if you go by the letter of the law.

My question....why does anyone care about what grade you get on an SUI?  Are they firing any commanders over it?  Docking anyones pay?  Take care of the money, take care of the mission, take care of your people...everything else is gravy.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

acarlson

... New EOP, minutes say they were attached anyone found out where the attachment is hiding? ....

It's hidden on eServices... left column under "CAP National Agenda/Meeting Minutes"

...sneaky b**tards

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

ELTHunter

Quote from: lordmonar on May 27, 2007, 06:22:51 AM
Quote from: ELTHunter on May 27, 2007, 01:45:00 AMI agree that the mandates the SUI's put on squadrons are unrealistic.  There is no way most units can do all that is expected of them in the regulations if you go by the letter of the law.

My question....why does anyone care about what grade you get on an SUI?  Are they firing any commanders over it?  Docking anyones pay?  Take care of the money, take care of the mission, take care of your people...everything else is gravy.

We were lead to believe an unacceptable rating in certain areas could lead to suspension of activities for a squadron until it was cleared up.   Other than that, how about pride in doing the job as you're expected?
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

acarlson

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 27, 2007, 01:23:15 PM
...  Other than that, how about pride in doing the job as you're expected?

I agree and for our squadron inspection.. we saw it as an opportunity to improve!   fresh eyes see things we don't...and they can make suggestions as to how we can improve efficiency.

Like the IRS, SUIs are there to help...  it's when we perceive them as trouble, they become troublesome. 

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
Doylestown PA

ELTHunter

I was on the receiving end of two (squadron and group) and on the inspector end of several more, and I agree.  I found that some squadrons were suspicious of the inspectors intentions at first, but when they realized it was a non-threatening event were pleased to have our input.  In addition to writing the inspection reports of the areas I covered, I usually came away with notes of how to improve things at my own units.

My company does corporate assessments much the same way.  Subject matter experts from one site will go to another to assess their counterpart's programs.  When I do a security assessment at another facility, I usually come away with a half page of things from looking at someone Else's program that I want to incorporate into mine.  Same when someone comes to my facility.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

MattPHS2002

Overheard from a Chaplain friend that the two biggest liars in the Air Force are the inspector that says "We are here to help." and the commander that says "We are glad to have you."
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

acarlson

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on May 28, 2007, 04:36:23 AM
Overheard from a Chaplain friend that the two biggest liars in the Air Force are the inspector that says "We are here to help." and the commander that says "We are glad to have you."

attitude is everything!
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
Doylestown PA