Gettysburg Sim

Started by Fifinella, May 23, 2007, 08:33:07 PM

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Chris Jacobs

That was cool.  I don't think you can completely win.  I tried it like 10 times and the best you seem to be able to get is that you win, but the union army regroups latter under grant and then comes back to win the War.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

BillB

"Grant wins the war"    Propaganda. If the yankess won the war, how come, so many move to the south where life is better. The space program is based in Texas, Alabama and Florida all in the south. so you can see the north doesn't even have a space program.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

Newt Gingrich and another author wrote a great (surprisingly so to me) trilogy on an alternate history of the Civil War if Gettysburg had gone differently.  The books are Gettysburg (2003), Grant Comes East (2004), and Never Call Retreat (2005).  They really focus on a lot of battlefield decisions and I enjoyed them quite a bit. 

LtCol White

Quote from: BillB on May 23, 2007, 09:51:14 PM
"Grant wins the war"    Propaganda. If the yankess won the war, how come, so many move to the south where life is better. The space program is based in Texas, Alabama and Florida all in the south. so you can see the north doesn't even have a space program.

why do you think we dropped the blue epaulets and changed to gray???

::)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ddelaney103

Quote from: LtCol White on May 24, 2007, 12:01:33 AM

Because blue is for winners and gray is for losers.

We fought the law and the law won.

SarDragon

If the yankess won the war, how come, so many move to the south where life is better?

Cuz it's too freakin' cold up there in the winter for the olde farts!  ;)  Then the young'uns follow them down.

QuoteThe space program is based in Texas, Alabama and Florida all in the south.

Thank LBJ for that!  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

That's ok, the south doesn't have a "career" program.

(btw... I'm a NY'er who's planning to move south)
GEORGE LURYE

LtCol White

Yeah yeah, you say that now. When you're 65 you have to. Its a law that you move to Fla.

HAHAHA
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Ricochet13

Quote from: RiverAux on May 23, 2007, 10:02:46 PM
Newt Gingrich and another author wrote a great (surprisingly so to me) trilogy on an alternate history of the Civil War if Gettysburg had gone differently.  The books are Gettysburg (2003), Grant Comes East (2004), and Never Call Retreat (2005).  They really focus on a lot of battlefield decisions and I enjoyed them quite a bit. 

During the 1950's Life magazine published a series called If the South Had Won the Civil War.  It was in installments through several issues.  Based on a novel by the same name if I remember correctly.  There was also a second series later based on the premise of Germany and Japan winning World War II.  If you're at all interested in the "what if . . . ." type of speculation.  Both were very interesting to read and speculate on.

ColonelJack

If you're really into that kind of "What If?" revisionist history fiction, check out the video, CSA - The Confederate States of America.  It's a pseudo-documentary, done BBC-style, of how the South won the Civil War and where the country went from there to the dawn of the 21st Century.

Warning -- there are many scenes that will offend, especially if you're African-American.  But Spike Lee is one of the producers of the thing.  So you get to draw your own conclusions.

Check it out.  And get back to me on how you liked it, if you don't mind.  I'd be interested.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

afgeo4

Quote from: LtCol White on May 24, 2007, 01:23:41 AM
Yeah yeah, you say that now. When you're 65 you have to. Its a law that you move to Fla.

HAHAHA

I'm already not far off... I'm a senior member in CAP!
GEORGE LURYE

sardak

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on May 23, 2007, 09:10:27 PM
I don't think you can completely win.  I tried it like 10 times and the best you seem to be able to get is that you win, but the union army regroups latter under grant and then comes back to win the War.

Ah yes, the old Kobayashi Maru scenario.

Mike

Psicorp

Quote from: ddelaney103 on May 24, 2007, 12:20:25 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on May 24, 2007, 12:01:33 AM

Because blue is for winners and gray is for losers.
We fought the law and the law won.

First of all, it's called the "War of Northern Aggression", and secondly, the only reason the Confederacy "lost" is because we were counting on France's help...*sigh*.     

Harry Turtledove has written some interesting novels (alternative history, usually found in the Sci-Fi / Fantasy section) on the topic of "what if...".
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Chris Jacobs

Quote from: Psicorp on May 24, 2007, 01:35:27 PM

First of all, it's called the "War of Northern Aggression", and secondly, the only reason the Confederacy "lost" is because we were counting on France's help...*sigh*.     

Thank you for learning a leason for all of America.  You just can't always count on certain allies.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

capchiro

I believe he was referring to France's help in that they were going to join the North thereby insuring a Southern victory.  Oui, oui?  If body counts meant anything, the South should have won, because more Northerners were killed than Southerners, IIRC.  And further, we must have won, because CAP National Headquarters is in the South and our National leader is very southern, si, si?
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on May 23, 2007, 09:10:27 PM
That was cool.  I don't think you can completely win.  I tried it like 10 times and the best you seem to be able to get is that you win, but the union army regroups latter under grant and then comes back to win the War.

I think you're right, I got a "significant confederate victory" on the first shot, and tried for different outcomes, and none led to anything other than union victory...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SAR-EMT1

I direct thy attention to the following:
Minot, Malstrom, Frank Warren. Where are those? ... If it aint the north I dont know what is... Too dang north if you ask me.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Psicorp

I won! And didn't even have to "cheat"   8)

"After four hours of intense combat and near-total encirclement, the Army of the Potomac began a headlong retreat back towards Washington. The Union Army did not completely escape and ended up losing losing over 5,000 men as prisoners near Cemetery Ridge that could not move south fast enough.

Through superior mobility and aggressive use of initiative, the battle was a clear Confederate victory and a disaster for the Army of the Potomac. The rebels rampaged throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and even into New York over the next month. Great Britain and France recognized the Confederacy as a nation and shortly thereafter, President Lincoln began to seek a negotiated end to the war -- on Southern terms.

The South had won the war at Gettysburg."

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257