Main Menu

CAP Movie

Started by RiverAux, May 13, 2007, 10:43:00 PM

RiverAux

Okay, so I went to see "Delta Farce" today, the premise of which is that 3 bumbling State Defense Force members (called the state military reserve in the movie) are grabbed by the Army and told they're going to Iraq, but end up accidetally being dropped in Mexico,which for a while they think is Iraq.  Unfortunately, not much hilarity ensued from this premise.

So, while I was mowing the lawn I was trying to think of a possible CAP movie idea in a somewhat similar vein.  What I've come up with is more action than comedy.  Your mission is to either come up with a good name for my movie OR come up with a good CAP movie idea of your own.

---

A small group of CAP officers is set to go on an orientation flight on a C-17, but the plane they're supposed to go on has a breakdown.  The AF squadron ops officer decides to instead put them on an flight where the plane will be dropping combat-loaded paratroopers (Do they do that off C-17s? lets assume they do) on a local training mission but doesn't tell the squadron commander for some reason.  Well, the squadron commander gets orders that these paratroopers are despearately needed in Iraq and radios the plane to divert to fly over there directly.  The pilot says, "But sir, do you know who I've go on board?" and the squadron commander says "By god, I'm the commander I know everything, get going!".

So the plane arrives in Iraq and lands at a small base and the paratroopers get off, but leave their equipment on board.  Now, the AF realizes the CAP folks are there and tells them to stay put, they're going to go right back.  But, insurgents attack and overrun the base and take a lot of folks prisoners and the CAP members are left on their own.

Luckily, one of the CAP members is a retired Air Force PJ who uses the paratroopers weapons and his diehard CAP team to retake the base. 

Okay, I know this borrows from a couple of old movies, but hey, its Hollywood!

Now, an alternative movie which is very much like an old Patrick Stewart movie, would be lighter in tone and would have bumbling terrorists take over a CAP cadet encampment upon which a few intrepid cadets would outwit the terrorists and save the day. 

Thoughts?

CadetProgramGuy

Just a few programming notes on this Awesome CAP Movie.......

Quote....... the CAP members are left on their own.

Just remember to have Permission slips fo the cadets, and you have gotten the Wing  Commanders permission.

QuoteLuckly, one of the CAP members is a retired Air Force PJ who uses the paratroopers weapons and his diehard CAP team to retake the base. 

Well Regs state no Law enforcement but them again you ARE on Foreign soil.....IACE  gone bad?  - or- or you could have all of the CAP folks rip the USCAP Nametape off their BDU's....No longer CAP, no longer CAP regs......

QuoteNow, an alternative movie which is very much like an old Patrick Stewart movie, would be lighter in tone and would have bumbling terrorists take over a CAP cadet encampment upon which a few intrepid cadets would outwit the terrorists and save the day. 

CAP Toy Soldiers?  Ooops   Sorry US CAP Toy Soldiers

RiverAux

QuoteJust remember to have Permission slips fo the cadets, and you have gotten the Wing  Commanders permission

I said CAP OFFICERS  -- no permission slips necessary  :)

LtCol White

How about "National Lampoons CAP Vacation"

;D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on May 13, 2007, 10:43:00 PMOkay, so I went to see "Delta Farce" today, the premise of which is that 3 bumbling State Defense Force members (called the state military reserve in the movie) are grabbed by the Army and told they're going to Iraq, but end up accidetally being dropped in Mexico,which for a while they think is Iraq.  Unfortunately, not much hilarity ensued from this premise.

So is it any good, or should I pass on it?  Still haven't seen "Hot Fuzz" either.
Mike Johnston

JohnKachenmeister

Do NOT try this RiverAux!

If anybody turns over the movie rights to the Smilin' Kach cartoon series, its gonna be me and Sparky Carrales!
Another former CAP officer

stillamarine

Quote from: MIKE on May 13, 2007, 11:43:51 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 13, 2007, 10:43:00 PMOkay, so I went to see "Delta Farce" today, the premise of which is that 3 bumbling State Defense Force members (called the state military reserve in the movie) are grabbed by the Army and told they're going to Iraq, but end up accidetally being dropped in Mexico,which for a while they think is Iraq.  Unfortunately, not much hilarity ensued from this premise.

So is it any good, or should I pass on it?  Still haven't seen "Hot Fuzz" either.

I thought it was pretty funny, personally. But being a yankee I like laughing at rednecks.

Hot Fuzz on the other hand....if you are a fan of Shaun of the Dead than you gotta see it.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

JohnKachenmeister

Seriously, when I was an Army guy back in the 80's, I met and got to talk with the LTC who was involved in DoD decisions to provide support to film-makers.  He told me how political the process gets sometimes.  I mentioned to him that I had been a cadet, and wondered to him why Hollywood never picked up on CAP stories.

He told me he knew of two movies that the producers wanted to use CAP, but were denied permission to use CAP logos, names, etc.

"Iron Eagle" in the original script called for a CAP cadet squadron on the base to work in concert to steal 2 fully-armed F-16's, arrange two n-flight refuel stops, and attack a middle eastern dictatorship where a cadet's father was facing execution.  Apparently, they thought this may give cadets ideas that were inconsistent with the Safety Pledge.

"Red Dawn" called for a CAP squadron to respond to the Soviet invasion, but they were denied permission to use CAP insignia/name, etc.  Then they wanted to use a JROTC unit at the school as the basis for the resistance, but DoD nixed that.  So... The "Wolverines" became the football team.  CAP and DoD asked that one scene be cut, but the producers refused.  The scene was the execution of a captured Russian soldier by the teen fighters.

But, such is life.  The USMC refused to provide support to "Heartbreak Ridge" because of one scene where Clint Eastwood finishes off a wounded Cuban with a burst of M-16 fire.

Becks

Quote from: MIKE on May 13, 2007, 11:43:51 PM

I highly reccomend Hot Fuzz, its a bit long, but I laughed my butt off.

BBATW

wingnut

No Kidding around guys,
a month or so ago a Lady came to one of our meetings, she has produced a few documentaries. Along with her was a director and a writer. Now here is the good part!! THE WRITER WROTE FOR MASH. . .

So where do you think this could go?? That night one of our wiener's wanted to show a video of Taliban getting machine gunned (You know from the Internet). WE NIXED THAT JUST IN TIME. I chatted with her allot, they want to do a type of reality show on CAP, however from watching most of the CAP Squadrons, and it is clear to me now that the TV show F TROOP comes to mind, really  ;D

RiverAux

I had actually thought of a CAP-themed "Red Dawn" type of movie as another altnerative proposal.  Forgot about Iron Eagle-- that would have made a good tie-in.  

Do not spend money to go to see Delta Farce.  It has a few mild laughs, but thats about it.  Might be worth watching for free.

Becks

Yeah...is it sad I have both Red Dawn and Iron Eagle on DVD.....?  ::)

BBATW

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: wingnut on May 14, 2007, 02:12:07 AM
No Kidding around guys,
a month or so ago a Lady came to one of our meetings, she has produced a few documentaries. Along with her was a director and a writer. Now here is the good part!! THE WRITER WROTE FOR MASH. . .

So where do you think this could go?? That night one of our wiener's wanted to show a video of Taliban getting machine gunned (You know from the Internet). WE NIXED THAT JUST IN TIME. I chatted with her allot, they want to do a type of reality show on CAP, however from watching most of the CAP Squadrons, and it is clear to me now that the TV show F TROOP comes to mind, really  ;D

Any show that highlights teenagers appeals to Hollywood.  Picture "Saved by the Bell" as a CAP squadron, or Vinnie Barbarino as a cadet commander.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Becks on May 14, 2007, 02:16:37 AM
Yeah...is it sad I have both Red Dawn and Iron Eagle on DVD.....?  ::)

Neither are bad movies.  But to really enjoy them you have to leave your brain in the car when you go into the theater.

Tags - MIKE

JohnKachenmeister

Sorry, I don't know how that post got included in its own quote.

MIKE

You cut off part of the end quote tag.
Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

IACE accidently landing in Lybia or Iraq or somesuch cesspool.
A livened up documentary on our response to 9/11 or katrina would be good. So would a fictional tale where we go to war and CAP actually fills in open  REALMILITARY Officer slots opened by massive deployments or nuclear war etc...
I can picture CAP members landing in a 182, walking across the ramp getting into the cockpit of a military transport. Or heroically using 182s as kamikaze aircraft against enemy armor. Whilst CAP cadets rush with M-16s to foxholes and rooftops to repel an attack on smalltown America.

... makes me think of TAPS - sean penn, tom cruise etc.

QUESTION: what MILITARY aircraft (not trainers, I mean fighters, bombers or transport type a/c) has the closest flight characteristics to a 172/82 GA-8? or to their control systems?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on May 14, 2007, 02:12:40 AM
Do not spend money to go to see Delta Farce.  It has a few mild laughs, but thats about it.  Might be worth watching for free.
What do you mean?  I was laughing though most of it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ELTHunter

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 14, 2007, 01:51:58 AM
Seriously, when I was an Army guy back in the 80's, I met and got to talk with the LTC who was involved in DoD decisions to provide support to film-makers.  He told me how political the process gets sometimes.  I mentioned to him that I had been a cadet, and wondered to him why Hollywood never picked up on CAP stories.

He told me he knew of two movies that the producers wanted to use CAP, but were denied permission to use CAP logos, names, etc.

I'm sure today's CAP PR and marketing folks would be glad to sell then licensing rights ;)  Hey, maybe that's another area NHQ hasn't thought about for fundraising...product placement in movies ;D
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ELTHunter

Back to the movie idea.  How about a Guardian type film only using CAP, or a BAT 21 type thing only non-combat and set in a remote mountain setting.  Film it in the Smoky's and I can play the dashing leading man.  Either the tireless Observer that circles overhead and keeps the guy calm by talking to him on the radio or the rugged Ground Team Leader that leads the ground team to the rescue.  I can see the recruiting benefits now.  I'll sorta be the Tom Cruise of CAP.....only 42 and balding :)
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer