Main Menu

National Convention

Started by jacklumanog, August 22, 2005, 03:09:00 PM

jacklumanog

I went to National Convention in St. Louis and I have to say the most impressive thing about it was meeting members from all over the country.  I went not knowing what to expect.  But, I came back totally energized about what I as a Chaplain can do to be of service through CAP.  The Chaplain Service is truly being tapped as an Auxiliary of the USAF especially with all the active duty, reservists and ANG being called overseas. 

I learned that WWII vets are dying at a rate of nearly 2,000 each day. And, they are entitled to full military honors at their funeral if they so desire. But, with the Chaplain shortage, the military has been having to deny requests for graveside services.  In all the meetings I attended, Chaplains were urged to meet weight and grooming standards to be able to wear the USAF uniform and be of service in this very important area of military funerals and pastoral care.

In addition to the elections of CC and Vice Commander (to which I paid absolutely no attention to since I try not to get mixed up in all the politics), it was so refreshing to meet members from all over.  There was a group from Florida Wing staff that invited me to have lunch with them after they saw me wandering around downtown looking for a place to eat.  This is CAP at its best  --  the people!

Finally, I got a chance to meet up with one of the "Everyday Heroes" (the theme of NAT CON) profiled throughout the week.  Major Van Don Williams is the NYWG Chaplain and a NY Fireman who served during 9/11 and was dispatched to the WTC.  What an inspiring story, a man of faith and clearly an asset to CAP. I just swelled with pride knowing that I was serving alongside him.

I did leave St. Louis with a greater sense of understanding of what I can do through CAP. I heard lots of groaning behind-the-scenes from people dissatisfied with this or that, spreading rumors about their CC or just plain badmouthing of CAP or the USAF (Good Lord, don't people have the good sense to do this kind of crap in private instead of within earshot of other seniors or cadets?!?!). I hope that everyone left with a greater sense of purpose or call. 
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

Pylon

Quote from: jacklumanog on August 22, 2005, 03:09:00 PM
I went to National Convention in St. Louis and I have to say the most impressive thing about it was meeting members from all over the country.  I went not knowing what to expect.  But, I came back totally energized about what I as a Chaplain can do to be of service through CAP.  The Chaplain Service is truly being tapped as an Auxiliary of the USAF especially with all the active duty, reservists and ANG being called overseas. 

I learned that WWII vets are dying at a rate of nearly 2,000 each day. And, they are entitled to full military honors at their funeral if they so desire. But, with the Chaplain shortage, the military has been having to deny requests for graveside services.  In all the meetings I attended, Chaplains were urged to meet weight and grooming standards to be able to wear the USAF uniform and be of service in this very important area of military funerals and pastoral care.

In addition to the elections of CC and Vice Commander (to which I paid absolutely no attention to since I try not to get mixed up in all the politics), it was so refreshing to meet members from all over.  There was a group from Florida Wing staff that invited me to have lunch with them after they saw me wandering around downtown looking for a place to eat.  This is CAP at its best  --  the people!

Finally, I got a chance to meet up with one of the "Everyday Heroes" (the theme of NAT CON) profiled throughout the week.  Major Van Don Williams is the NYWG Chaplain and a NY Fireman who served during 9/11 and was dispatched to the WTC.  What an inspiring story, a man of faith and clearly an asset to CAP. I just swelled with pride knowing that I was serving alongside him.

I did leave St. Louis with a greater sense of understanding of what I can do through CAP. I heard lots of groaning behind-the-scenes from people dissatisfied with this or that, spreading rumors about their CC or just plain badmouthing of CAP or the USAF (Good Lord, don't people have the good sense to do this kind of crap in private instead of within earshot of other seniors or cadets?!?!). I hope that everyone left with a greater sense of purpose or call. 

Glad to hear you've enjoyed one of our National Board and Conferences.  I hear it's always an exciting time, and I'd like to make it to one myself, sooner or later.

Major Van Don Williams, the NYWG Chaplain, is indeed a very nice guy.  I was just chatting with him at the NYWG Encampment earlier this month, regarding finishing my MLO Technician Specialty requirements.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: jacklumanog on August 22, 2005, 03:09:00 PM
(Good Lord, don't people have the good sense to do this kind of crap in private instead of within earshot of other seniors or cadets?!?!).

Apparently quite a few out there don't have the common sense the Good Lord gave them.....
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona