Tax Deductions for CAP expenses

Started by Pylon, March 07, 2005, 06:25:29 PM

Pylon

You may or may not know that the IRS allows CAP members to deduct most of our expenses related to CAP from our taxes.

Quote from: CAP.us websiteAs a federally chartered nonprofit organization, Civil Air Patrol is tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code. This entitles members to claim various expenses as charitable contributions to the extent allowed by law. These include the Following:
[li]Membership dues[/li]
[li]Expenses for uniforms and training materials[/li]
[li]Out of pocket expenses while participating in CAP activities[/li]
[li]Mileage on personal vehicles[/li]
[li]Travel and Living expenses while participating in CAP activities[/li]

I was considering deducting all my uniform expenses and dues this year and seeing how that went.  I was wondering how many other CAP members out there deduct any CAP expenses from your taxes - if so, what?  and if not, why not?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

I tallied everything up and I was better off taking my standard exemption.

pixelwonk

Yup agreed.

This has been my seventh tax return season while in CAP and not once were my CAP deductions combined with the rest a better option than the standard deduction.  Pylon, If you want to itemize, you'll be better off doing it after you buy a house.

SarDragon

Yup, the house is the key. You need to be able to itemize to do the CAP deduction. That's been the only I've ever been able to do it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret