Need help with cadets

Started by westover, January 30, 2008, 09:23:01 PM

westover

Being new to the Civil Air Patrol and being an extremely new unit I am unsure of what I need to do with the cadets. I am doing Leadership, PT, Moral leadership, And Aerospace. But what kinds of activities can I do. What are some things I could do to keep the Cadets motivated At the weekly meetings and/or weekend functions. I have only 5 cadets at this time with a new cadet joining every couple of weeks or so. I want them to leave and be so excited they want to spread the word. I have lined up Map reading, And how to use a Portable GPS. But since I never heard of CAP a year ago I am not sure what I could do at this time. My Seniors are really taking off, it's the cadets I am having problems with. So Here it is can everyone put down some suggestions on meetings, activities, projects, and just some old fashion fun stuff. I want to do a good job. And I want to keep moral high, so anything you can do to help would be great.
Jeff

BillB

The answer is in part, What Wing are you in?  One thing you might consider, is asking the cadets what iterests them. A trip to an Air Force Base? a weekend bivouac with emergency services training? A trip to a local airport control Tower? O-rides?
Chances are if you are in a Wing with Groups. your Group DCP can come up with ideas, or in fact suggest you have an activity with another Squadron.
If you're in North Dakota most outdoor activities are limited until Spring. If you're in Florida. you have more chances for activities. See if there are other Squadrons in the area, or check with Group or Wing DCP.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: BillB on January 30, 2008, 09:46:45 PM
If you're in North Dakota most outdoor activities are limited until Spring. If you're in Florida. you have more chances for activities.

Hey now- no dissing ND Wing in the winter- it is fun here!!  -27 in the AM, wondering if your van will start.  Oh and don't forget about -50 windchill last night.  Ok- so I had to cancell the meeting for safety reasons- but hey there is nothing that says you cannot go outside (just wear layers- lots and lots of layers)!!  Just teasing a little as I know my cadets are becoming restless with being cooped up during meetings for the winter, but you roll with the punches.  Here is a cool video on a MN Wing Winter survival school that looked like a neat activity- cold but neat:  http://arvig.com/video/locallinc/voicesonmainstreet.html.  Here's to hoping it warms up soon!!

We are doing more hands on activities for now- Taekwondo, Army low ropes courses, Marine Corps obstical course, archery, touring the Air Museum, rock climbing at the Y, and more things other than just sitting in classes week after week- we got stuck in a rut in Nov-Jan and the cadets let me know it!!  We still do the "boring stuff" that requires sitting in a class, but have set a goal to keep them moving as much as possible.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

DC

CAPR 52-16 covers the requirments of the Cadet Program, and also discusses some of the other activities that cadets can participate in. You also might look to other nearby squadrons and see if your cadets can participate in some of their activities until you can get the ball rolling. They might also loan you a few cadets to aid in getting your cadets squared away.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: westover on January 30, 2008, 09:23:01 PM
Being new to the Civil Air Patrol and being an extremely new unit I am unsure of what I need to do with the cadets. I am doing Leadership, PT, Moral leadership, And Aerospace. But what kinds of activities can I do. What are some things I could do to keep the Cadets motivated At the weekly meetings and/or weekend functions. I have only 5 cadets at this time with a new cadet joining every couple of weeks or so. I want them to leave and be so excited they want to spread the word. I have lined up Map reading, And how to use a Portable GPS. But since I never heard of CAP a year ago I am not sure what I could do at this time. My Seniors are really taking off, it's the cadets I am having problems with. So Here it is can everyone put down some suggestions on meetings, activities, projects, and just some old fashion fun stuff. I want to do a good job. And I want to keep moral high, so anything you can do to help would be great.
Jeff

Jeff,

Lets get some details out.  Wing, SQ Location, ect....From there we can give you ideas.

ZigZag911

Also, what's you're role in the scheme of things?? Squadron CC, deputy for cadets, or what?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: westover
Now with help we started a new squadron in central CA

I am in Amador County outside of Sacramento.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

westover

Westover composite squadron 119, I am the Commander as well as many other duties. I am also over the cadets until I can find someone to take that roll. I am in Group 5 in Northern California. I was involved with Boyscouts for quite a few years so it seems I can take some stuff out of there book to use for additional training. And it seems it doesn't really matter what I do as long as it's informative and fun for the cadets. Is this true? I do have a great bunch of seniors and I have a senior leader taking that one by the reigns and doing quite well
By the Way the boyscouts have nothing over CAP!!!
Thanks Jeff

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: westover on January 31, 2008, 06:30:03 PM
I was involved with Boyscouts for quite a few years so it seems I can take some stuff out of there book to use for additional training. And it seems it doesn't really matter what I do as long as it's informative and fun for the cadets. Is this true?
Jeff- I recommend making sure you are hitting the required things for sure- PT and Moral Leadership are the top two in my mind.  I say PT because I believe that although PT needs to be a life style change that the cadets do on a weekly basis, having it offered at least once per month is important to keep encouraging the cadets to do more. 

From there, look at the other missions we do in CAP and try to incorporate them into something hands on- specifically leadership, AE and ES.  All 3 of these items can be hands on if you look for it.  Yes GES is at least a 2 meeting classroom activity, but the rest can be done in the field- L-PERs in hand, radios on hips, etc (have them hold those radios and talk to them- not just stand up and give them the same old this is how a repeater works exercise).  AE- launch some rockets, build some gliders, see some planes, show them cool videos, get an awesome guest speaker from WWII (not many left now a days- take advantage) and keep them excited.  It is better than a lecture on chapter 2 of the AE textbook!!  Some may think leadership is all classroom, but break it up- have them sit in a circle and discuss leadership vs sitting at a desk (sit under a tree outside), have them practice drill, have them do teamwork building exercises, keep them moving.  Stand up and lecture for 45 minutes on leadership theory:  BORING.  Get them engaged and doing things and they will keep coming back for more!!

You do not have to take everything out of the leadership and AE texts- be creative and perhaps- just perhaps steal some of the good things the scouts do.  I am an Eagle scout and I know there are a few things they have that would be cool in CAP!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

gistek

How about asking the cadet staffs of some nearby squadrons to come help your cadets set up their own staff? Sure, you may not have any cadet officers to take the top leadership positions, but there's nothing preventing a cadet airman or cadet sergeant from being cadet commander.

There are also many units that hold open training sessions. This is a great way for you and your cadets to network with other CAP members.

Here in PA Wing, we have the Hawk Mountain program and almost all of the larger squadrons offer open SARex's and other programs.

Check out local balloon and glider clubs. Look into having a CAP day at a local planetarium.

If you want WWII history and are willing to come to PA, There's a World War II reenactment in Reading, PA every June. The CAP squadron at that airport handles parking and assists with maintaining the perimeter. (It's an active airport. CAP patrols the perimeter fence to remind people not to enter the active airport grounds.)

CAP members assisting with these activities are given free passes to the event once the parking duties are done each day (usually between 1400 and 1500). The Mid-Atlantic Air Museum provides bag lunches all three days.
CAP members are permitted to camp in the area behind the squadron building.

There are probably a lot of activities available in your area, too. Get input from your cadets. Ask about parades and community day events that you might be able to march in or do a flag ceremony for.

And keep in touch with this site. There are often great ideas posted here, and it's a good place to post ideas and ask for coments to help make the idea become an activity.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: gistek on March 01, 2008, 09:08:45 PM
...but there's nothing preventing a cadet airman or cadet sergeant from being cadet commander.

Nothing preventing, but highly discouraged.  There is no requirement to have a C/CC.  If you don't have a cadet who is of appropriate grade to be C/CC then don't have one - if the cadets really want to have a C/CC they will get themselves promoted to an appropriate grade.

By appointing a C/Amn to C/CC you divert their attention from things they should be learning - like how to become a C/Amn.  It then leaves them nothing to strive for later on in the program.  What incentive is there to promote and progress if you have already assumed the "top cadet spot" within your first few months in CAP?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 02, 2008, 12:41:52 AM
Quote from: gistek on March 01, 2008, 09:08:45 PM
...but there's nothing preventing a cadet airman or cadet sergeant from being cadet commander.

Nothing preventing, but highly discouraged.  There is no requirement to have a C/CC.  If you don't have a cadet who is of appropriate grade to be C/CC then don't have one - if the cadets really want to have a C/CC they will get themselves promoted to an appropriate grade.

By appointing a C/Amn to C/CC you divert their attention from things they should be learning - like how to become a C/Amn.  It then leaves them nothing to strive for later on in the program.  What incentive is there to promote and progress if you have already assumed the "top cadet spot" within your first few months in CAP?
The new Cadet Staff Handbook has suggested Chain of Commands for squadrons of various sizes and shapes, including new, Airman heavy ones. CAPP 52-15.