I'm new to Honour Guard

Started by wjpappenfus, February 09, 2013, 04:26:13 PM

wjpappenfus

So my squadron commander made me an honour guard commander... I don't know anything about it... I've done a lot of research on the uniform and drill and stuff but I can't find anywhere whether we compete or not and what we should be focusing on specifically if we do compete. Thanks to whoever replies! I can use all the help I can get :)

C/MSgt Pappenfus
AZ Wing, Civil Air Patrol

Eclipse

There are no Honor Guard Competitions (outside the HGA, which is currently on "pause" while Regional equivalents are implemented).

The competitions are for Color Guard and Drill team.

Honor Guards generally serve at solemn occasions where precision and decorum is critical to respecting the event.

"That Others May Zoom"

wjpappenfus

Ok, thank you. This helps greatly :)

HGjunkie

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=14401.msg260178#msg260178

No competitions, nada. Your sole duty as a guardsman is to pay full respect to the Military, US Flag, and your uniform.
Some updating needs to be done with my old post, since NHGA is not an activity at the moment, however finding local cadets or senior members who have previously gone is going to be your best bet.

Dig through CAPM 52-8, that's the main resource for Honor Guard.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PHall

For the OP, did your Squadron Commander appoint you to a Color Guard or an Honor Guard? Many people confuse the two.

As was said above, Honor Guards don't compete, but Color Guards do. Color Guards compete at the National Cadet Competition.

wjpappenfus

I'm the Honour Guard commander but the new Colour Guard commander is in the same situation as I am. We're both pretty new to this. We're training our teams together

HGjunkie

Quote from: wjpappenfus on February 09, 2013, 09:02:15 PM
I'm the Honour Guard commander but the new Colour Guard commander is in the same situation as I am. We're both pretty new to this. We're training our teams together

Oh no
I recommend you don't train both teams together. Color and Honor Guard have distinctly different manuals of drill, especially in Colors. They're so different that if you train your teams together then later on try to switch to actual Colors drill then you're not going to have a fun time at all.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

wjpappenfus

Can you tell me where I can find the drill manuals?

HGjunkie

Quote from: HGjunkie on February 09, 2013, 06:11:12 PM
Dig through CAPM 52-8, that's the main resource for Honor Guard.

IF you want to get fancy (way on down the line) you can check this out... but it's an advanced resource which echoes most of what M52-8 says.
Note the two different manuals of arms (One for Colors and one for Ceremonial/demonstration).
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Extremepredjudice

If you are a NCO, you shouldn't be the C/HGC. You should be the C/NCOIC
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 10, 2013, 12:31:16 AM
If you are a NCO, you shouldn't be the C/HGC. You should be the C/NCOIC

And C/SrA aren't supposed to be cadet commanders, but it happens.

COL Land

JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 13, 2013, 01:30:47 AM
Way to expensive.

Got directions? Exactly where is expensive, anyway? I can't find it on the map.  ???
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Struts

I know for a fact that NER is hosting an Honor Guard Academy from the 25th of July to the 4th of August up at Norwich. PM me if you have any questions.