going above and beyond with my 24 hour pack

Started by swya, February 18, 2007, 06:05:08 AM

swya

i am very involved in the cap ground team and i would like to know some other extras things that aren't required according to the task guides but are nice to have
c/a1c James Collins- age 13
nellis cadet squadron- nvo69
my myspace is www.myspace.com/swya

desert rat

Night vision goggle, a Sylvania Dot-it light $10 circular LED light that is small wafer and sticks to anything and runs for 100 hours on 3 AAA battaries, Binoculars, GPS.

Pylon

Quote from: swya on February 18, 2007, 06:05:08 AM
i am very involved in the cap ground team and i would like to know some other extras things that aren't required according to the task guides but are nice to have

Depends highly on where you are in the world (i/e:  What's the terrain like in your area?  Heavy urbanized?  Heavily wooded?  Plains?  Mountainous?).

Also depends on what your typical missions are for GTs in your area.  For example, in NY, CAP is not the primary search agency.  (Nor the secondary or the tertiary or the...), so most missions are a bit of UDF from the air and in the vehicle.  I'm not going to need enough equipment to conquer Everest for those missions, so I will plan and pack accordingly.

But primarily, what extra goodies you bring will depend highly on the type of terrain and climate you're around.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

swya

shorning

Quote from: swya on February 19, 2007, 04:29:09 AM
we are in the desert and we do no missions

So what do your ground teams do if Nevada Wing doesn't do any ES missions?

DNall

Quote from: shorning on February 19, 2007, 05:38:12 AM
Then how are you:
Quote from: swya on February 18, 2007, 06:05:08 AM
...very involved in the cap ground team...
or in any need of
Quoteextras things that aren't required

The gear list is the baseline, then you are supposed to customize beyond that to the conditions you are likely to face. If that's nothing then the answer is pretty obvious.

If you consider nothing else at all, the weight, portability & comfort in & out of a truck should be a factor. Otherwise if you're in the desert then extra water would be a really good start & anything else that can allow for 72+hr survival situations if you get stuck. No one can answer this for you but yourself.

swya

i show up to every sarex but they dont take us to sarex's because they have police teams for that as well as teams for udf but i enjoy the sarex's and work hard on my 101 and i am collecting this stuff for when i go to az wing,oh and thanks alot youre probably right

lordmonar

We are rebuilding a capability.

Ground ES dropped off the radar his a few years back....the few times CAP tried to rebuild...they got resistance from the county....the few times the county asked for help we had no capability.

So...about 4 months ago we started looking around for who had GT ratings and started a push to get more training done.

SWYA is part of that training effort.  We have not yet built up a capability to fully integrate GT with our SAREX and our SAREX taskings have been mainly focusing on the HLS missions lately...but we have a vision and a part of a plan to fully revive the GT function and will be able to present a capability to our local customers.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

shorning

Quote from: lordmonar on February 19, 2007, 07:07:59 AM

Ground ES dropped off the radar his a few years back....the few times CAP tried to rebuild...they got resistance from the county....the few times the county asked for help we had no capability.

So...about 4 months ago we started looking around for who had GT ratings and started a push to get more training done.

SWYA is part of that training effort.  We have not yet built up a capability to fully integrate GT with our SAREX and our SAREX taskings have been mainly focusing on the HLS missions lately...but we have a vision and a part of a plan to fully revive the GT function and will be able to present a capability to our local customers.

Um...IIRC, NVWG hasn't done GSAR in over a decade.  When I was in Idaho, we couldn't get any one to work with us because they didn't "do that".  Methinks you may be "rebuilding" a capability for which there will be no need.  Again, IIRC, the SDs maintain a very tight control on SAR in NV.

brasda91

It depends on whether or not you can carry the extra equipment.  Then your equipment will depend on UDF or GT.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

swya

swya

that makes sense and i have been interested in learning all that for a while

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on February 19, 2007, 07:07:59 AM

I don't know if you've already done this, but I'd start talking to the authorities before getting to far along in the rebuilding. If you can document when they've called you, it'll help get your foot in the door. Otherwise, if the authorities don't support you, you're just wasting time and resources. You'll end up building folks hopes up, then crushing them, along with any creditibilty you may have with them.

IronRangerMN

well, crushing hopes is what it could possibly turn out to be if you guys fail, but i think you've gotten enouf depressing responses from here.

Id say go for it. Talk to other agencies like SAR teams and the sherriffs of a few counties. But you cant do it with out training long and hard. Good things worth earning are made of sweat and maybe some blood. Not in a homicide way either. Suposedly u get out wut u put in. They to recruit SM's from city officials, sherrif people, sar people, etc

and for your gear, desert.....  can u guys wer desert BDU's? and id say have a cammel bak within ur gear sumhow, or 2 quart canteens in a ruck, but its all based on terrain, climate, and mission types.
Be safe

Pylon

Quote from: IronRangerMN on March 28, 2007, 04:32:01 AM
and for your gear, desert.....  can u guys wer desert BDU's? and id say have a cammel bak within ur gear sumhow, or 2 quart canteens in a ruck, but its all based on terrain, climate, and mission types.

Desert BDUs = NOGO in Civil Air Patrol.  Read CAPM 39-1 (see www.cap.gov/pubs )

Appropriate gear and hydration supply, yes.  Desert Camo, no.

And FYI, we have a handy installed "Spell Check" feature that you can click before you click "Post."  It's not "ur", "sumhow", "wutever" or "u" -- effective communications, the hallmark of a good leader, starts with proper English grammar and spelling.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

if you are trying to fit into an existing SAR community find out who they are certifying through.  Each entity has its unique requirements.  Off of the top of my head check out

NASAR
MRG
NFPA

As far as my personal gear goes. 

Webbing, 75' life safety line (NFPA), Carabiners (locking)
GPS
Goggles
Safety Glasses
helmet
head lamp
chem light sticks
accountability board
Harness
case of bottled water
radio harness (chest)
My dog
dog food, safety vest for dog, other dog stuff
hand held radio programed with CAP, and mutual aid channels
Missing person characteristic profiles reference book
Predator abduction profile material
lap top
printer
Orthographic imagery of search area (produced every 2 years)
Sectionals
Gazatear (map)
911 map of the search area
USGS Map of the area
Thermal Imagery
an entertaining book to read while waiting for an assignment
Life Jacket (doesn't apply for the desert)
Business Cards
Professionalism

Note: some of this material is not a part of a CAP load out, and is not used on CAP missions.  Equipment is personalised to the mission profile.

sardak

Quote from: isuhawkeye on March 29, 2007, 01:41:49 AM
if you are trying to fit into an existing SAR community find out who they are certifying through.  Each entity has its unique requirements.  Off of the top of my head check out

NASAR
MRG
NFPA

Here is the link to a 24 hour equipment list which is a compilation from 20 ground teams selected at random from around the US, including the NASAR SARTECH equipment list.  It shows how many of the 20 teams listed each piece of equipment.

24-hour Pack Equipment List

The list was developed for ASTM standard F2209 which defines the requirements for an "entry level" ground searcher  (think GTM3/T).  There is no minimum equipment list specified in ASTM F2209.  The standard allows the agency or team to decide what equipment should be carried (e.g. GT Task O-0001), and shows the list only for reference.

If MRG is supposed to be MRA (Mountain Rescue Association), MRA doesn't have any specific equipment for its teams or members.  NFPA doesn't specify any SAR equipment, either. 

Checking with the local SAR teams is excellent advice, though.

Mike

floridacyclist

I was going to point that out in another thread as someone claiming to represent the Rangers had some of the very same issues, but I didn't want to seem too confrontational so I let it drop. Seriously, those kinds of things do matter.

Sure, we all make mistakes in either our typing, spelling, or grammar, but at least make the effort to look at least halfway professional and folks will take you a lot more seriously.

I noticed someone mentioned a book; I carry a deck of playing cards as the most bang for our buck (and carrying space/weight) during downtime. Think of how many different games you or your teammates can play from solitaire to 5-card stud.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Psicorp

Okay, silly newbie ground team person question:

Does GTM3 trump UDF qualification?  What I mean is, can a GTM3 go out on UDF missions or is UDF a totally seperate and unique specialty?

Back when I did GT stuff there wasn't levels or UDF, it was just Ground Team and Ground Team Leader. 

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

JC004

Quote from: Psicorp on March 29, 2007, 01:42:21 PM
Okay, silly newbie ground team person question:

Does GTM3 trump UDF qualification?  What I mean is, can a GTM3 go out on UDF missions or is UDF a totally seperate and unique specialty?

Back when I did GT stuff there wasn't levels or UDF, it was just Ground Team and Ground Team Leader. 

Technically, it's different, but in practice, well..."close enough" seems to be the common attitude.