What Uniform Changes Would You Like To See?

Started by JoeTomasone, November 12, 2008, 02:53:05 PM

ol'fido

I believe I missed the point of this thread. The object was to put forth a personal wish list of uniform changes that each person would like to see. That means each of us should be able to put something out without being dog piled. So on that happy thought....

1. Would like to see some combination of khaki cargo/BDU type trousers and the golf shirt. I suggest this since at many missions or disaster drills i see EMA or LEO or other emergency personnel dressed similarly. This would be more for mission base types or as casual wear.

2. Would like to see CAP uniforms parallel USAF as much as possible. That would mean blue epaulet sleeves and name tags ala 1980's. ABUs with subdued patches and nametags.

3. Use the old OD jungle fatigues as the alternate utility uniform so that the subdued patches would match. You can buy these from Brigades or Galls for about the same as the BBDU.

4. Nope nothing.. it's just that every wish list has an item #4.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

LtCol White

Quote from: Angus on November 12, 2008, 09:28:02 PM
Quote from: Pumbaa on November 12, 2008, 09:21:30 PM
How about a 6 month moratorium on uniform threads?  HQ is not listening.. So give it up.

It is getting a little redundant.  I believe a lot of these same points were made not too long ago.  As far as HQ not listening has anyone heard how Col White is doing with his committee on the new 39-1?  That should be tying up a lot of what we've been arguing about through out this board and the previous 25 on uniform changes.

We are working to finalize all the details and various proposals. Fine tuning, cleaning them up, adding graphics and photos. Everyone just needs to be patient and in the end, all will be resolved. We are looking at a myriad of issues that we and other members have identified as needing correction, clarification, and revision. Please bear with us a bit longer. Its coming along for the WB where uniform issues are addressed.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

billford1

:clap:

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: LtCol White on November 13, 2008, 03:04:42 AM
How about a 6 month moratorium on uniform threads?  HQ is not listening.. So give it up.

It is getting a little redundant.  I believe a lot of these same points were made not too long ago.  As far as HQ not listening has anyone heard how Col White is doing with his committee on the new 39-1?  That should be tying up a lot of what we've been arguing about through out this board and the previous 25 on uniform changes.

We are working to finalize all the details and various proposals. Fine tuning, cleaning them up, adding graphics and photos. Everyone just needs to be patient and in the end, all will be resolved. We are looking at a myriad of issues that we and other members have identified as needing correction, clarification, and revision. Please bear with us a bit longer. Its coming along for the WB where uniform issues are addressed.

Dave:

Good to hear from you!  You must be busy, since you have not been on the boards for a while.

I was dropping your name on another thread, the one about the "CSU Clarification."  I explained about how big your job was.   
Another former CAP officer

SarDragon

Quote from: davedove on November 12, 2008, 09:22:27 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 12, 2008, 09:07:20 PM
Is it worth it? IMHO, every little bit helps. I don't know too many members who spend less that $200/yr, and in your average 25 and 28% brackets, $50-56 will buy a decent meal at a nice restaurant.

If you don't itemize, it may not be worth it.  However if you do itemize, take all you can get.

You can't do it if you don't itemize. That's what the Schedule A is for.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davedove

Quote from: SarDragon on November 13, 2008, 07:41:09 AM
Quote from: davedove on November 12, 2008, 09:22:27 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 12, 2008, 09:07:20 PM
Is it worth it? IMHO, every little bit helps. I don't know too many members who spend less that $200/yr, and in your average 25 and 28% brackets, $50-56 will buy a decent meal at a nice restaurant.

If you don't itemize, it may not be worth it.  However if you do itemize, take all you can get.

You can't do it if you don't itemize. That's what the Schedule A is for.

Yeah, I know that.  To be more precise, if you don't already itemize, it's pretty unlikely that these small amounts will enable you to itemize and thus deduct the costs.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Quote from: LtCol White on November 13, 2008, 03:04:42 AM

Sounds great sir, thank you for your help in this. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

winterg

Quote from: lordmonar on November 12, 2008, 09:23:57 PM
Will never happen...and should never happen.   We are mission ready as far ahs physical fitness goes (for the most part).  As much as people hate to hear this....we are a civilian organisation.  I did PT for 22 years.....I don't want to "have to" do it again.   When I can no longer hump my 24 hour pack the I'll stop being a GTM....but why make the 70 year old admin officer meet PT standards?   What would those standards be by the way?

Seriously?  You think we should never have any kind of physical fitness program for seniors to help promote and maintain a healthy force?  That's just absurd.  We most definitely need one.  And I'm not talking about retirees doing windsprints.  It can be as simple as using a program like the President's Physical Fitness Challenge and requiring a certain number of points each month (I know, you can fudge it). 

We have to face facts, we live in the most overweight country in the world.  And it's starting to show in CAP.  We're supposed to be providing an example to cadets, and it's not a good one when half our membership can't squeeze into the military style uniform.

scooter

So, I am going to commit a crime here and suggest the KISS uniforms. For seniors, we have too many uniforms.

Stay away from the AF uniform(s) that cause so many problems/confusion. Just have one/two uniforms that cover all occasions. Perhaps the white/grey combo and add the blazer for more formal wear. Keep the polo/grey for less formal wear. If you GT, the ABU would work, flight crew use the flight suit. Go with blue so we wont have to worry about AF flight suit regs. Thats it. 39-1 would be 4-5 pages. Just an idea to throw out, don't be upset!

I think we should all put a tac in the talk of ABU wear.  We have to wait till the Air Force approves that and most likely we won't see that any time soon.  I'm thinking 2010 at the earliest. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

winterg

I agree, it will still be some years till we see the ABU.  I don't know about the rest of you but I'm kind of anxious to see the new 39-1. 

Rob Sherlin

It could just be the photos I see, but isn't the Gill Robb Wilson ribbon the same as the National Commander's Citation ribbon,  just flipped over?

I know the question is not on uniforms, but maybe they should look at re-designing one of the two and issue a "freebie" of the new designed one to whoever currently has that ribbon (just a thought)
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

jimmydeanno

Quote from: winterg on November 13, 2008, 04:24:59 PM
Seriously?  You think we should never have any kind of physical fitness program for seniors to help promote and maintain a healthy force?  That's just absurd.  We most definitely need one.  And I'm not talking about retirees doing windsprints.  It can be as simple as using a program like the President's Physical Fitness Challenge and requiring a certain number of points each month (I know, you can fudge it). 

We have to face facts, we live in the most overweight country in the world.  And it's starting to show in CAP.  We're supposed to be providing an example to cadets, and it's not a good one when half our membership can't squeeze into the military style uniform.

The current physical fitness program is open for senior members as well as cadets.  I agree with you that people are getting larger, however, mandated physcial fitness program for our volunteers is absurd.  How much time and mandated items do our volunteers need to give to the organization before their contribution is considered valid?

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 13, 2008, 05:07:30 PM
It could just be the photos I see, but isn't the Gill Robb Wilson ribbon the same as the National Commander's Citation ribbon,  just flipped over?

Correct.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SilverEagle2

QuoteStay away from the AF uniform(s) that cause so many problems/confusion.

Negative. The AF uniforms are part of what make this organization great. It instills a sense of pride and professionallism that without would have significant impact on the success of the Cadet Programs IMHO.

If I were to suggest a change, it would be to consolidate the aviator shirt combo to one and get some consistency with the AF style. Also, use all the same attachments from the AF on the CAP Distinct for Flight and Utility.

For example:

Seniors within Weight and Grooming
Service Uniform:
As presently constituted.

Flight Uniform:
Green Bag with Cloth Grade and Cloth Name Badge

Utility:
BDU's as constituted until ABU approval

Seniors out of Weight and Grooming
Service Uniform:
White Aviator Shirt
Grey Epaulets
Grey Name Plate
Blue Slacks
CSU Jacket with Same Name Plate as AF Service Coat.

Flight:
Dark Blue Bag with cloth grade and Cloth Name Badge (same for blue and green)

Utility:
Blue BDU's as constituted

This way, all the Seniors buy the same NAMEPLATES, NAME TAPES, GRADE, cutouts, etc.

This would go a long way in eliminating confusion and costs.

Say a senior goes fuzzy, get a new coat and white shirt...done on the service side. Gain a little weight, white shirt, new coat, done.

Utility swap is easier, pull everything off the BDU's and apply to BBDU's
Flight, pull all the Velcro badges off the green, put on the blue. (Almost that easy now)

The blazer...leave for IACE.
Polo is OK.

Just my 2 cents
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

hatentx

I would just need to say the uniforms need to be stream lined.  I would say keep everything the same if you are in standards along with the AF style uniforms.  If out of standards then keep it with ONE option comparable with the AF uniform.  BDU-BBDU i.e.  Allow the name tags to be the same.  Also Keep the Polo.  As a SM that is a great uniform.  You stand out from the Cadets (young guys like me run into that problem sometimes) it is easy cheep and professional.  You can do anything in it minus PT and moving through the woods.  I also wouldn't mind see some other Service badges authorized on the uniforms as well but hey that is almost another thread in its self.

DogCollar

Reduce the amount of badges that one can wear on the BDU's.  Some members look like Formula One race car drivers!

Keep the polo shirt, but make the pants khaki rather than gray.  Looks better and most people have several pairs of khakis.

Uniforms that I will never use:
1. Mess Dress
2. AF blue service coat
3. CSU
4. Flight suit...I'm not a pilot nor do I serve as an air crew member...maybe it's just me, but I personally don't see the appeal.

If I can't wear AF style uniforms I'll be in the polo shirt uniform.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

SilverEagle2

Quote4. Flight suit...I'm not a pilot nor do I serve as an air crew member...maybe it's just me, but I personally don't see the appeal.

I find them very comfortable in all weather and easy to use and not worry about getting dirty when climbing in/around/under the plane. Great Uniform for the need.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

A.Member

Very simple:

• Eliminate the embarrassing golf shirt "uniform" combo - save it for the golf course or some other "club".
  • Eliminate the TPU and all it variants completely - given the corporate "suit", there is  is no need for this uniform combo
  • Return to the original MAJCOM patch (with U.S. Air Force Auxiliary listed) - visual reenforcement of our history and relationship
  • Remove flag from BDU and BBDU - not sure why anyone felt compelled to add this in the first place
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

winterg

Quote from: A.Member on November 13, 2008, 09:01:43 PM
  • Remove flag from BDU and BBDU - not sure why anyone felt compelled to add this in the first place

To get CAP ready for overseas deployment or maybe so we don't forget what country we're in?  I've often wondered the reasoning myself.

CAP Producer

The thing that those of you don't understand about the CSU/TPU is that it gives us who do not meet the standard for wear of AF Blue a real uniform to wear.

I am sure that most of you like wearing your unifoms with all of your recognition on them. So do we.

Eliminating this uniform gives us no means of doing this. Going back to the blazer is a step backwards and make us who wear the CSU/TPU second class citizens in our own organization.

FYI: I have not worn a uniform in over 3 months.
AL PABON, Major, CAP