What Uniform Changes Would You Like To See?

Started by JoeTomasone, November 12, 2008, 02:53:05 PM

DNall

First, Flight Officers are officers in the same sense that Warrant Officers are officers in the other services.

It's a difference between commissioned officer & warrant officer (warrant officers now actually receive a commission), which is all about the level of govt from which they derive their power (President/congress vs Secretary of the Army/Navy). Note: NCOs derive their authority from delegation of governmental powers by the officers appointed over them.

All CAP members are appointed to grade by virtue of the CAP Constitution & Bylaws. So, there is no distinction between FO & 2LT. They are both officers. It says so right in the FO title.

Second, what is the issue with people off the street being "officer candidates?" That is exactly what they are, a candidate training to become an officer. OCs in the military attending OCS/OTS are exactly civilians off the street. They are not NCOs, nor do they have the authority of NCOs (despite paygrade), but they do wear officer related items (flight caps, mess dress, etc).

I like using that title a whole lot more than "SM." It reinforces to new members that they are here to progress in the program, not to be permanent SMs. That they are actually in a training sequence to become an officer. Airman basic serves the same purpose, but would indicate in-training to become an airman, which they are not & cannot become.

Third, I've been poking badges thru uniforms for a very long time now. It leaves perm holes. You can do it a couple times & maybe iron it out so it's not noticeable, but several months of it & it's going to be visible. If you try that on a white shirt, it's going to be even worse.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: DNall on November 20, 2008, 12:10:53 AM
First, Flight Officers are officers in the same sense that Warrant Officers are officers in the other services.
Agreed. But they're not officers. CAP regulation (Ref: CAPR 35-5, para 1-2) stipulates as much, as if Real Military precedent isn't enough....

While members are appointed and promoted under the auspices of the CAP Constitution and by regulation, the Air Force retains sole authority over CAP's grade structure.

OCs in the military are not all civilians off the street. Many of them are EMs. They automatically are promoted to E-5 and, if they fail OCS/OTS, continue to serve at that grade. Civilians who fail have to serve out an enlistment.

SMWOGs do NOT wear officer flight caps or other officer insignia, as they are not officers (Ref: CAPM 39-1, para 1-3). However, flight officers do wear them. (Also ref: CAPM 39-1)

I agree with you that "SM" isn't a great term. OC isn't accurate, though. And while we would agree on AB, CAP has to finish the task and recreate an NCO corps. (That IS coming.)

Like you, I've poked badges through uniforms for years. I've never had an issue getting the holes out -- regular ironing, laundering, starching and wear hasn't hurt my shirts. I don't know what the white shirts are like, but the Air Force shirts do well on the badge test (they have to).

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

MIKE

Mike Johnston