New Army Uniform Announced

Started by DNall, August 25, 2008, 10:41:37 AM

stratoflyer

QuoteOSCAR...     MIKE...    GOLF!
That's a pretty funny way of saying it!  :D

QuotePersonally, I like the white shirt with the blue pants better than the Marine Corps Class C uniforms.  After all, the khaki shirt with dress blue pants just looks dorky to me.

Ooops...looks like someone just PO'd a few Marines I know...
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 25, 2008, 07:29:50 PM
WHAT HAPPENED!!  :-X

eh.. hold one let me compose myself here..... :-\

I think that...tha.. :-X

Give me a sec....hold on.....

Where's my air sickness bag....

rraaalllppphhhh.  Man, i'm there with ya......

Stonewall, whats your voice in this?

oh wait.....He's here with us......hang on, i'll get you a bag too..

Gunner C

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this one.  The Army has the nack for taking a really good looking uniform and making it ugly.

In my experience the old army uniform was shapeless and drab.  If you went to a major airport and compared an army private with a marine private, the army private looked like one of the bag brothers.

Dress blues were for special occasions with the mess dress uniform as an optional substitute for after 1800 hrs.  Using blues as an everyday uniform is going to take some getting used to.

There are some things that the army has taken in as traditional since blue was dropped pre-WW1.  One of those is unit patches.  The army blue uniform doesn't lend itself to this and, aparently, the army has opted to keep it patch-free.  Substituting metal insignia for combat patches is a bad idea.  It looks bad on an already crowded army uniform.

Keep ribbons off the shirt - make ONE badge optional.

Enlisteds wearing rank insignia on shirt collars perpetuates an old bad idea from the 1980s when the grey-green shirt was invented.  Put chevrons back on the shirt sleeves.

NCOs and officers will wear stripes on the pants.  The stripes on the blues pants used to be branch-colored (Long time ago). At some point, the army decided to make the leg stripe uniform, using the cav/armor color.  Having NCOs wear stripes on the pants and not enlisteds is silly (or is trying to start a tradition like the marines).  Take the stripes off the pants of NCOs.

I know that there's those out there who don't like berets with blues.  There was a problem - they could proscribe all of the berets but they'd have a problem with the SF green beenie.  Since it was authorized by presidential proclaimation, only W or his successor can remove it (ain't gonna happen). With that said, the army wasn't going to take it away from the rangers (again), or paratroopers and have SF still wearing one.

I was an SF guy for 20 years and wore bloused pants (you can't blouse boots).  But I think blousing blues pants looks awful.  Besides, the folks who were in those pictures were using blousing aids - paratroopers don't blouse their pants, they stuff them.  Stuffed boots would look better, but still ridiculous.

Someone had it right - this uniform makes the TPU look good.

GC

Major Carrales

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 26, 2008, 06:19:35 AM

Doesn't that, however, defeat the purpose of using "OMG" to save time and space sicne "Oh My God" has fewer letters than "OSCAR...     MIKE...    GOLF!"
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 26, 2008, 01:17:19 PM

Doesn't that, however, defeat the purpose of using "OMG" to save time and space sicne "Oh My God" has fewer letters than "OSCAR...     MIKE...    GOLF!"

I'll call the police.  Humor has been murdered. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

O-Rex

I'm sorry, this is for the Army of what country???

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on August 26, 2008, 02:39:00 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 26, 2008, 01:17:19 PM

I'll call the police.  Humor has been murdered. 

Yes, the moderators here killed it long ago.  Statute of limitiation! ;) That's a joke, son!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

O-Rex

Actually, the West Point Band has been wearing this very uniform for years....

You know, if they keep the 'perma-creases' off the shirt, we now have a good source for CSU shirts. 

Gotta find a silver lining somewhere in the clouds. . .

bosshawk

Hey, folks: hang around another 51 years and the uniform will change again.  I was graduating from ROTC in 1957 when the greens became the uniform.  I went through four years in college wearing Pinks and Greens(how many of you folks remember them?).  The switch from brown to black shoes came about a year or two earlier.  Same sort of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the late 50s: everybody got over it.  I don't particularly like the white shirt, mostly because it gets dirty so quickly.  When fresh and clean, it looks great.  I am relieved that I don't have to shell out several thousands of bucks to buy the new stuff: been retired 21 years and don't even own an Army uniform(never mind not owning an AF one0.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

stratoflyer

So what's the final word on the white shirt? Anyone got to see one yet? Can someone confirm for the CSU folks whether or not this would be able to be used?

The suspense of it all.....

Lima... Oscar... Lima!

Cecil DP

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 26, 2008, 06:04:21 PM
So what's the final word on the white shirt? Anyone got to see one yet? Can someone confirm for the CSU folks whether or not this would be able to be used?

Lima... Oscar... Lima!

From what I've seen in the pictures-it  looks like our aviator shirt!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 26, 2008, 06:16:23 PM

Lima... Oscar... Lima!

From what I've seen in the pictures-it  looks like our aviator shirt!

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

stratoflyer

LOL...some people are a little late on the news but they are still having the same effects of seeing this uniform.

Look, we'll get used to it. Give it time.

I was looking for someone who has purchased this uniform and wears it to tell us whether the white shirt would work on the TPU CSU (sorry, old habit there). One thing is to see it on a pic on the internet, and another thing is to see it, feel it, and wear it.

hatentx

I was reading in the Army Times today and it was saying the the White shirt will have military creases so I don't believe it will be an Aviator shirt.  I wouldn't expect them to hit the clothing and sale for a few more months.

MIKE

What they mean is that some people are wearing white shirts which are similar in style to the USAF light blue and Army light green shirts in lieu of the aviator shirt of a style and type as sold by Vanguard.
Mike Johnston

DNall

It is EXACTLY like the current AF blue or Army light green shirt in cut & construction (pockets, eps, etc), but of course plain white like a dress shirt. The perm mil creases ref'd are NOT like the marine/navy shirt creases. They're talking about perm creased sleeves (I believe the crease is over stitched a few mils to keep it crisp & in place).

So, YES it will be perfect for CSU shirts, and I would argue should be adopted as the standard, in practice if not in reg.

This is auth starting 1 Oct, and they are telling soldiers to use commercially avail white shirts w/ pockets/eps. That means our CSU/Aviator shirts will be in short supply starting in Oct & running for about six months. The standardized shirt they will be putting out will be avail sometime this year. The mandatory date to use the stuff they specify will by Oct 09. So, that should give you a gauge on when/what you can expect as far as issues w/ our CSU shirt.

This is the official announcement message:
http://www.marlowwhite.com/army/uniforms/service-dress-blue/asu-wear-policy.html

And by they way, that's on the Marlow White website. If you'll keep an eye over there they'll have the shirts in question probably before anyone else, and best quality with superb service.

RiverAux

Has the BoG authorized the use of this CAP uniform by the Army?  Fairs fair after all....  >:D

NIN

I decked out my aviator shirt with my Army Cadets insignia just to get a little eyeball into what it *sort of* looks like..

Ugh. And I don't have a whole bunch of bling-bling like the guy in the photo.

Then I realized that I have the high-waisted trousers. Grrr. Gotta buy new pants.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

O-Rex

Quote from: DNall on August 26, 2008, 10:58:14 PM

It is EXACTLY like the current AF blue or Army light green shirt in cut & construction (pockets, eps, etc), but of course plain white like a dress shirt. The perm mil creases ref'd are NOT like the marine/navy shirt creases. They're talking about perm creased sleeves (I believe the crease is over stitched a few mils to keep it crisp & in place).

So, YES it will be perfect for CSU shirts, and I would argue should be adopted as the standard, in practice if not in reg.

This is auth starting 1 Oct, and they are telling soldiers to use commercially avail white shirts w/ pockets/eps. That means our CSU/Aviator shirts will be in short supply starting in Oct & running for about six months. The standardized shirt they will be putting out will be avail sometime this year. The mandatory date to use the stuff they specify will by Oct 09. So, that should give you a gauge on when/what you can expect as far as issues w/ our CSU shirt.

This is the official announcement message:
http://www.marlowwhite.com/army/uniforms/service-dress-blue/asu-wear-policy.html

And by they way, that's on the Marlow White website. If you'll keep an eye over there they'll have the shirts in question probably before anyone else, and best quality with superb service.

Forget Marlow White: give it an extra 50% markup, understock it, and offer it to members with a 10 to 12 week lead-time, and send them the wrong size, and you have Vangu. . . . oops, sorry! ::)

DNall