Hawk and NBB bling clarification on NEC agenda

Started by arajca, April 18, 2008, 02:30:33 AM

MIKE

Mike Johnston

lordmonar

Quote from: DNall on April 23, 2008, 11:44:41 PM
One of the prime reasons behind the "ranger roll" is actually an attempt to crush the top of the hat so it breaks up the visible line. IE - more camo. Rangers do that cause they can wear soft caps in a combat environment, were regular soldiers can't. Now do that with an orange hat & shirt - see what an idiot that person looks like now?

BS

Sorry DNall...who ever told you that one sold you a bill of goods.  At any appreciable range whether you have your hat dog dished or not will not "break up the visible line".

Quote from: DNall on April 23, 2008, 11:44:41 PMIf you're serving in the military in a ground combat capacity, and have been to real Army ranger school, SFAS, indoc, or the like, then fine. You can get away with it, just like SF can grow beards. If not, you need to get the stupid slapped out of your head.

See....now we get to the real meat of the situation.  You, in your mind, have reserved the dog dish hat as something reserved for the AD military....Okay....I'll go with that to a point...but who gets to decide that this cool thing is okay for use to use (like Nomex flight suits.....we do not really need them for safety...but they look cool) and which ones we can't do because we have not earned it?

Quote from: DNall on April 23, 2008, 11:44:41 PMI'm in Army OCS right now. I got rangers in my class, both tabs & scrolls, and a group guy too. If any one of them wears their hat like that, we're all getting smoked for three hours. It's happened a couple times already. It won't be happening again. If it's not okay in that circumstance, in an infantry based program run by the US Army infantry school, then why would it be okay for some CAP program?

Because we are CAP and not a US Army Infantry school OCS program.

If the AD unit commander says dog dish...you dog dish...if he say standard patrol cap....standard patrol cap....if he says boonie....boonie.

On the CAP side....if you are running an encampment and you say BDU caps only.....it's BDU cap only....even if you are Ranger Super Class and a Blue Beret Charter Member.

BTW....in CAP we can't crush our hats by regulation....and I tend to follow them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eagle400

Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2008, 01:02:04 AMBecause we are CAP and not a US Army Infantry school OCS program.

Try telling that to the guy who made the reverse American flag patches mandatory on the BDU! 

mikeylikey

Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2008, 01:02:04 AM
BTW....in CAP we can't crush our hats by regulation....and I tend to follow them.

Actually the PAWG Commander sent an email out clarifying that PAWG members will crush or "ranger roll" their hats if ordered to do so by their unit Commander.  He decided that he would make this clarification the same weekend the Wing got shut down for safety violations.  His reasoning was that since 39-1 only says no crushing or rolling bdu covers, ranger rolling and crushing ball caps is LEGAL.  He is such a dork!
What's up monkeys?

SARMedTech

Quote from: MIKE on April 24, 2008, 12:18:07 AM
Topic.

Exactly. This is the reason why I made the "who gives a s*** factor" statement. This has ceased to be about the rules and regulation regarding bling and has degenerated into an argument of who likes it and who doesn't.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

CASH172

Quote from: SARMedTech on April 24, 2008, 03:52:34 AM
Quote from: MIKE on April 24, 2008, 12:18:07 AM
Topic.

Exactly. This is the reason why I made the "who gives a s*** factor" statement. This has ceased to be about the rules and regulation regarding bling and has degenerated into an argument of who likes it and who doesn't.

That's kinda the reason why I stopped following this topic and many like it so closely. 

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 24, 2008, 01:52:38 AM

Actually the PAWG Commander sent an email out clarifying that PAWG members will crush or "ranger roll" their hats if ordered to do so by their unit Commander.  He decided that he would make this clarification the same weekend the Wing got shut down for safety violations.  His reasoning was that since 39-1 only says no crushing or rolling bdu covers, ranger rolling and crushing ball caps is LEGAL.  He is such a dork!

Do we relly want advice from PAWG at the moment???

Being PS Army, i think the roll looks cooky and out of place.  I know what the reg says, but know that IF i ever become the Wing CC, I would make it known that the regs will be followed, but it looks crappy

sarmed1

QuoteHe is such a dork!

tru dat...you would think he would at least avoid using a term of reference for a legal procedure (in his eyes) that is specifically mentioned as unauthorized.  Even if we are talking baseball caps vs BDU caps. 

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

DNall

Quote from: DNall on April 23, 2008, 11:44:41 PM
One of the prime reasons behind the "ranger roll" is actually an attempt to crush the top of the hat so it breaks up the visible line. IE - more camo. Rangers do that cause they can wear soft caps in a combat environment, were regular soldiers can't. Now do that with an orange hat & shirt - see what an idiot that person looks like now?

BS
Sorry DNall...who ever told you that one sold you a bill of goods.  At any appreciable range whether you have your hat dog dished or not will not "break up the visible line".

You mean like a bonnie hat breaks up visual lines, or some splotchy colors on a uniform versus solid green? Effective or not, that's always been one part of the logic.

Other then that...

The regulation and AF custom state how hats will be worn, which is blocked & starched for a clean crisp appearance. THAT is the standard, not whatever the local commander directs. Again, what would uniforms be like if every local commander could do their own thing?

A narrow area of the Army crushes their hat by custom, which is against regs. That custom is generally associated with ground combat troops above airborne infantry. Anyone else that does it is a poser, and is corrected, in my area that's done fairly heavy handedly.

Any part of CAP following that Army custom is seriously messed up. They should be looking to the AF first of all, not the Army. And secondly, they are no where remotely close to that level of operators, not even by comparison to the rest of CAP. All they do is draw negative attention to themselves.

CAP does wear flight suits for safety. Off field landing in a mil aircraft is almost sure death, you don't need nomex to eject. In a Cessna, you can't eject out of a cabin fire, & you are more likely to survive impact to sit there hurt in a pile of gas. So yes, absolutely it's for safety. Some people might wear it cause they think it's cool, but that's not why it's authorized. There's variations there that restrict some of the aspects that go to operational pilots. The AF holds their line on that.

MIKE

Mike Johnston