New Achievement Award

Started by James Shaw, March 02, 2008, 08:57:31 PM

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: caphistorian on November 19, 2008, 06:23:13 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2008, 04:20:39 PM
Has the order of precedence been indicated?

If not, you can't even put it on your rack when they start making them.

right before the commanders comm
Before or after? My impression was that this award fell below the Commander's Commendation. If it goes above the CCA, then the criteria to award it must be more stringent than the CCA... which is not how the new award has been described to us.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

James Shaw

Before meaning it goes before the CC. It is a lower award.

ESA
MSA
CCA
AA
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

BuckeyeDEJ

Thanks for the clarification. When I see "before," I think "higher," versus "after" as "lower." We just looked at it from opposite ends of the order!

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

James Shaw

Has anyone been awarded this as of yet?
Jim Shaw

Major Carrales

Quote from: caphistorian on January 02, 2009, 02:14:45 PM
Has anyone been awarded this as of yet?

I have put in three people for this; 1) Our Senior Member of the Year because of his service to CAP Communications in creating a usable system for communication from limited equipment. 2) Our Cadet of the Year, for greatly enhancing the CAP cadet program with noteworth leadership and sticking through it from the time it was just him up to the present where there are some 20 active cadets. 3) Our DCC for fostering, financing and driving Cadet Growth in Corpus Christi.

I have heard nothing back as of yet.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

So are we now cleared to put people on for it?

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 02, 2009, 11:01:29 PM

That's a local question.

Apparently the certs, medals, and ribbons are now available, so its all a matter of whether and how your Group CC is interested in awarding them.

In these parts the Group CC's had a meeting and decided on a framework for consistency, though we still need to finalize it.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Received a sample of the new Achievement Award Certificate today in the mail. Looks really nice.
Jim Shaw

lordmonar

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 02, 2009, 11:01:29 PM

NVWG just awarded a bunch of them last weekend.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RickFranz

We have given out a few here in Kansas.  The only draw back is the card stock it is printed on.  It is glossy paper that does not do well going through the copy machine. 

I have templates for some of the awards, so I can use fonts from Word to make a good looking award.  I put the persons name on the template and the date, print it out, set it in the copy machine and run the award through.  This has worked out great on all the other awards I have tried.  But this paper seems to grab a lot of toner from somewhere it comes out blotchy.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

James Shaw

I have a large format printer that will do this certificate. If we have a squadron that will pay for the mailing to and from and a weeks or so notice than I can do them. I wont charge for this. PM me for information.
Jim Shaw

Timbo

Quote from: caphistorian on January 15, 2009, 06:46:28 PM
Received a sample of the new Achievement Award Certificate today in the mail. Looks really nice.

Shouldn't the medal (the actual medal, tangly thing) be hanging from the ribbon??  Or is that what the medal looks like? 

Also should it not read......"U.S. Air Force Auxiliary", not "Auxiliary Of The U.S. Air Force"??

The "Auxiliary Of The U.S. Air Force" is not used in that manner anywhere else is it?  Not since 1986?

MIKE

Ok, Achievement Award down... Now for the Letter of Commendation Ribbon.  >:D
Mike Johnston

James Shaw

Quote from: MIKE on January 15, 2009, 11:10:13 PM
Ok, Achievement Award down... Now for the Letter of Commendation Ribbon.  >:D

Evil evil thought wipe it from your mind!!
Jim Shaw

Cecil DP

Quote from: RickFranz on January 15, 2009, 09:47:41 PM
We have given out a few here in Kansas.  The only draw back is the card stock it is printed on.  It is glossy paper that does not do well going through the copy machine. 

I have templates for some of the awards, so I can use fonts from Word to make a good looking award.  I put the persons name on the template and the date, print it out, set it in the copy machine and run the award through.  This has worked out great on all the other awards I have tried.  But this paper seems to grab a lot of toner from somewhere it comes out blotchy.

Try running it through a printer in the photopaper setting.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Pylon

Quote from: RickFranz on January 15, 2009, 09:47:41 PM
I put the persons name on the template and the date, print it out, set it in the copy machine and run the award through.  This has worked out great on all the other awards I have tried.  But this paper seems to grab a lot of toner from somewhere it comes out blotchy.

You're getting the excess toner because coated paper (aka "glossy"), much like heavier paper, requires higher fuser temperatures for the toner to fuse to the paper.   When the toner doesn't fuse, loose toner often gets all over the paper sheet giving it a spotty or "dirty" look like it got peppered with toner from a leak or something.

Check the options on the printer/copier.  Most mid to high level machines will allow you to set paper type to coated or thicker paper settings, which will ensure the fuser temperature is appropriate for the paper you're feeding it. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Timbo on January 15, 2009, 10:00:05 PM
Quote from: caphistorian on January 15, 2009, 06:46:28 PM

Shouldn't the medal (the actual medal, tangly thing) be hanging from the ribbon??  Or is that what the medal looks like? 

Also should it not read......"U.S. Air Force Auxiliary", not "Auxiliary Of The U.S. Air Force"??

The "Auxiliary Of The U.S. Air Force" is not used in that manner anywhere else is it?  Not since 1986?

I think my Commander's Commendation Award certificates all say "Auxiliary Of...."

Whether the words "of the" appear or not, it doesn't change CAP's legal status. We are both the U.S. Air Force auxiliary and the auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force. Either, or, both. Doesn't matter. Both phrases mean the exact same thing.

-- BEGIN RANT --

Our organization is "Civil Air Patrol." It is NOT "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol," nor is it "The Civil Air Patrol" or the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol." We are "CAP," not "USAFAux," not "USCAP." If you don't believe it, go look at any of our regulations, or better yet, Public Laws 476 and 557.

Our legal status is as the Air Force's auxiliary, but it's not our name.

(I recently saw this thrown together in someone's signature block and nearly went postal:

Name, Rank, USAFAux/USCAP
Title

Where are the administration officers to correct this stuff?

-- END RANT --

The certificates, at least the top part of them as posted here, look great. Makes me wish someone would put me in for one, at least. (Any volunteers?)

Hobbsh1

Quote from: lordmonar on June 10, 2008, 06:29:59 AM
Quote from: PHall on June 10, 2008, 04:49:44 AM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 10, 2008, 12:45:30 AM
I am a former AFROTC scholarship cadet,
I was shown the door when my medical waiver was revoked.
I've tried to get back via both officer and enlisted channels
to any service that would take me. Army, AF, etc...
Believe me if it was as easy as calling the local recruiter, I'd have commissioned in 2006 and would already have pinned on first john.
---
I will repeat, i would rather wear one USAF item then twenty CAP mini-medals

Well, where would you wear a full sized medal? What uniform combination do you wear that with?

The mini medal is for wear on mess dress plus, IIRC, you can wear one mini medal on the blazer for formal events.

We have a use for mini medals. The only use we have for full size medals is as a keepsake.

Well same argument could be made for Active Duty uniforms as well.  I have only seen full sized medals worn by Honor Guards man and way....way....way...back in the day when we still had the formal white service uniform (Can't recall it's actual name).

A full sized medal for CAP would be nice for presentations.

I used to have a mini medal of all the milestone awards and would use it to pin on the medal for cadet promotions.   A full sized medal would have looked nice for those photo ops.

When I was in the Navy ('87 to '94), we didn't wear the mini's unless it was in a very formal setting like a ball dance.  We wore full size medals for change of command ceromonies when the uniform for the CoC was dress blues or whites with medals, any other time we were in working blues or whites it was ribbons. Nothing in dungarees or coveralls.
Just throwing my two pennies in :)

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

Hawk200

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 18, 2009, 03:18:20 AMWhen I was in the Navy ('87 to '94), we didn't wear the mini's unless it was in a very formal setting like a ball dance.  We wore full size medals for change of command ceromonies when the uniform for the CoC was dress blues or whites with medals, any other time we were in working blues or whites it was ribbons.

CAP only has three full size medals(the top three), all the rest are miniature. We don't have the option for anything else, and CAP doesn't even have a uniform that full size medals would be worn on.

Minis are nice on Mess Dress, but the are lacking when it comes to presentations.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 18, 2009, 03:29:11 AMCAP doesn't even have a uniform that full size medals would be worn on.

What about the blazer in semi-formal mode?  You wear your highest medal.

"That Others May Zoom"