New Achievement Award

Started by James Shaw, March 02, 2008, 08:57:31 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2009, 03:32:45 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on January 18, 2009, 03:29:11 AMCAP doesn't even have a uniform that full size medals would be worn on.

What about the blazer in semi-formal mode?  You wear your highest medal.

From CAPM 39-1, 23 March 2005, Fig 4-1. "The CAP blazer combination with a plain white shirt/blouse and black bow tie or blue floppy bow without name plate and with one miniature medal may be worn on formal occasions..."

My statement was on the wear of full size medals, and is accurate in accordance with CAP publications. There is currently no Civil Air Patrol uniform that authorizes the wear of full size medals.

Hobbsh1

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 18, 2009, 04:10:43 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2009, 03:32:45 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on January 18, 2009, 03:29:11 AMCAP doesn't even have a uniform that full size medals would be worn on.

What about the blazer in semi-formal mode?  You wear your highest medal.

From CAPM 39-1, 23 March 2005, Fig 4-1. "The CAP blazer combination with a plain white shirt/blouse and black bow tie or blue floppy bow without name plate and with one miniature medal may be worn on formal occasions..."

My statement was on the wear of full size medals, and is accurate in accordance with CAP publications. There is currently no Civil Air Patrol uniform that authorizes the wear of full size medals.
Actually the CAP Blazer and the AF style service dress could sport the full size medals, if there were full size other than the top 3.  If you were attend a Change of Command ceremony, the uniform for the day could be: CAP Blazer with medals or AF service dress with medals.
but anyway.... sorry for dragging this off topic further.  ::)

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

SarDragon

Dave, this ain't the Canoe Club. Under current CAP uniform regs, there is no provision to wear full size medals on any uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

Quote from: Timbo on January 15, 2009, 10:00:05 PM
Quote from: caphistorian on January 15, 2009, 06:46:28 PM
Received a sample of the new Achievement Award Certificate today in the mail. Looks really nice.

Shouldn't the medal (the actual medal, tangly thing) be hanging from the ribbon??  Or is that what the medal looks like? 

Also should it not read......"U.S. Air Force Auxiliary", not "Auxiliary Of The U.S. Air Force"??

The "Auxiliary Of The U.S. Air Force" is not used in that manner anywhere else is it?  Not since 1986?

"Auxiliary of the US Air Force" is on my Mitchell and both of my Comm-Comm's,

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on January 18, 2009, 05:38:12 AM
Dave, this ain't the Canoe Club. Under current CAP uniform regs, there is no provision to wear full size medals on any uniform.

The only people in the whole Air Force who wear Full Size Medals on their uniform is the Air Force Honor Guard and possibly the Air Force Band IIRC.

Hawk200

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 18, 2009, 04:45:20 AMActually the CAP Blazer and the AF style service dress could sport the full size medals, if there were full size other than the top 3.  If you were attend a Change of Command ceremony, the uniform for the day could be: CAP Blazer with medals or AF service dress with medals.

As has been pointed out, we are not the Navy. We may have the option of certain items from other branches, but the arrangement you've mentioned is not one of them. We don't do it for reasons of "could", or "would look good".

Also, I've noted the ribbon rack you have in your sig. Hopefully, you're not wearing them on your uniform in that configuration. Per Table 5-3 of CAPM 39-1, military ribbons are worn above CAP ribbons.

A good ribbon checker that includes military, CAP, and many other ribbons is available here: http://www.medals.lava.pl/us/uschk.htm . (It seems to be broken right now, but I imagine it will work properly shortly) It also produces a very nice graphic to use. Check it out. But read 39-1 further as well.

RiverAux

I'm confused...one person said that our three highest decorations have full-sized medals authorized, but then another says that we aren't authorized to wear full-sized medals on any uniforms.  So, am I to understand that if one were to earn one of the top medals they couldn't actually wear it?

AlphaSigOU

Only the SMV, BMV and DSM have full-size medals. All other CAP decorations and awards were created only in miniature medal size for mess dress wear.

The full size medal is worn only for presentation purposes only; it's generally not worn for regular use.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on January 18, 2009, 05:38:12 AM

It was good seeing you yesterday, Dave.  Congrats on reaching the big 60.

BKB

Hobbsh1

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 18, 2009, 01:44:16 PM
Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 18, 2009, 04:45:20 AMActually the CAP Blazer and the AF style service dress could sport the full size medals, if there were full size other than the top 3.  If you were attend a Change of Command ceremony, the uniform for the day could be: CAP Blazer with medals or AF service dress with medals.

As has been pointed out, we are not the Navy. We may have the option of certain items from other branches, but the arrangement you've mentioned is not one of them. We don't do it for reasons of "could", or "would look good".

Also, I've noted the ribbon rack you have in your sig. Hopefully, you're not wearing them on your uniform in that configuration. Per Table 5-3 of CAPM 39-1, military ribbons are worn above CAP ribbons.

A good ribbon checker that includes military, CAP, and many other ribbons is available here: http://www.medals.lava.pl/us/uschk.htm . (It seems to be broken right now, but I imagine it will work properly shortly) It also produces a very nice graphic to use. Check it out. But read 39-1 further as well.

Hawk,
Not quit the order that I wear them in, I do follow the regs and the order that it states, for me, Navy first (no AF service), foreign and campaign and then CAP.  Each set is in correct order, since those are two different jpgs that I had in photobucket, they are stacked the only way that the forum software won't except the length of text to have them side by side, hence CAP above military (just happens to be the way I copied and pasted the text).  Spent 7 almost 8 years in the Navy and know pretty much how to follow regs.  I also have used http://www.medals.lava.pl/us/uschk.htm and sent an email stating that the CAP ribbons were not working about a week ago.
As for reading 39-1... done it, a few times.  As Commander of a Composite squadron, if I'm going to correct a uniform error I should be correct myself.

SarDragon and Hawk
As for this being the canoe club or the mickey mouse yacht club, never said that it was.  I merely stated that the Navy doesn't have specific uniforms for full size either, just different occasions.   :) I also know that there are no provisions in the regs for using full size medals on uniforms, I was just adding to the conversation.

And once again sorry for going off topic.....again
I feel like I'm having to put out little fires everywhere on this off-topic. ;D

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

MIKE

Mike Johnston