New USAF Service Coat

Started by afgeo4, January 20, 2008, 03:59:37 AM

SAR-EMT1

Just remember... we have to get hte ABU before we get this Back-to-the future service coat. ... Brooks Bros... sheesh. One of their suits would cost me a months pay.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 22, 2008, 06:06:27 AM
Just remember... we have to get hte ABU before we get this Back-to-the future service coat. ... Brooks Bros... sheesh. One of their suits would cost me a months pay.

Hey... but you'll be lookin' good!  ;D (Even if it puts the average joe who doesn't do 'bespoke tailoring' in the poor house!  ;D)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Grumpy

Quote from: jaybird512 on March 22, 2008, 12:29:09 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on March 21, 2008, 05:49:36 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on March 21, 2008, 08:27:03 AM
I ran across this picture about the new AF service coat... got a chuckle...

This is not the coat selected. It was one of the choices and is being considered as a possible Honor Guard or other formal wear uniform in the future.

That doesn't make the picture any less funny....

Or maybe just to me.

Change it to "a new coat that the Air Force was looking at and may or may not use as a possible alternative to a choice they may make in the future regarding an update of the current service dress uniform or its equivalent".

Better?

Huh ???  ???

jb512

Quote from: Grumpy on March 23, 2008, 05:14:57 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on March 22, 2008, 12:29:09 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on March 21, 2008, 05:49:36 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on March 21, 2008, 08:27:03 AM
I ran across this picture about the new AF service coat... got a chuckle...

This is not the coat selected. It was one of the choices and is being considered as a possible Honor Guard or other formal wear uniform in the future.

That doesn't make the picture any less funny....

Or maybe just to me.

Change it to "a new coat that the Air Force was looking at and may or may not use as a possible alternative to a choice they may make in the future regarding an update of the current service dress uniform or its equivalent".

Better?

Huh ???  ???

Yep. 

Exactly.

NAYBOR

I personally like the choker collar version, and hope it is used for something by the AF, even if it is not the "everyday" service uniform.

afgeo4

Quote from: NAYBOR on March 26, 2008, 02:28:37 AM
I personally like the choker collar version, and hope it is used for something by the AF, even if it is not the "everyday" service uniform.
Summer whites?
GEORGE LURYE

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on March 26, 2008, 03:09:30 AM
Summer whites?
Bite your tongue!!!!

I left the whites in the Navy, gladly. I have no desire to wear them in any form in CAP!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Quote from: SarDragon on March 26, 2008, 04:43:11 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on March 26, 2008, 03:09:30 AM
Summer whites?
Bite your tongue!!!!

I left the whites in the Navy, gladly. I have no desire to wear them in any form in CAP!

I have to agree no summer whites.  They're not the most flattering on all people.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

SAR-EMT1

Getting back ot the original pic... I think it just looks bad for two General Officers to wear anything other then the Service Cap while in Service Dress.
Save the beret for the ACUs and the flight cap for the flight suit...
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JayT

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 27, 2008, 09:53:54 PM
Getting back ot the original pic... I think it just looks bad for two General Officers to wear anything other then the Service Cap while in Service Dress.

Umm.......what? Why?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

mikeylikey

Army no longer has a Service Cap for the green Service Dress (Class A's).  They still have a service cap for the dress blues though.  When the greens are eliminated most likely this June, the Blues will be the only service dress and Officers will be back in the Service Cap, while enlisted and I think Junior NCO's will be in the beret. 

As far as the AF, goes, I can't comment.  They still have a Service Cap, so I am unsure why a 4 star would not be in it.
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 27, 2008, 11:16:43 PM

Army no longer has a Service Cap for the green Service Dress (Class A's).  They still have a service cap for the dress blues though.  When the greens are eliminated most likely this June, the Blues will be the only service dress and Officers will be back in the Service Cap, while enlisted and I think Junior NCO's will be in the beret. 

As far as the AF, goes, I can't comment.  They still have a Service Cap, so I am unsure why a 4 star would not be in it.

Proberly because Air Force Generals don't dress with thought of what some civilian volunteers think that a General should look like.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 27, 2008, 11:16:43 PM
.... Officers will be back in the Service Cap, while enlisted and I think Junior NCO's will be in the beret. 

From the last message I've seen, enlisted wear beret, NCO and up wear service cap. I imagine they're giving the enlisted a break.

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 27, 2008, 11:16:43 PMAs far as the AF, goes, I can't comment.  They still have a Service Cap, so I am unsure why a 4 star would not be in it.

I think the only time I ever saw any generals wearing flight cap in service dress on a regular basis was the McPeak era. After he was gone, and Fogleman brought it back, almost every general I've ever seen since had on a service cap.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 28, 2008, 02:01:05 AM
I think the only time I ever saw any generals wearing flight cap in service dress on a regular basis was the McPeak era. After he was gone, and Fogleman brought it back, almost every general I've ever seen since had on a service cap.

That's because the "Fighter Pilot Mafia" didn't like Service Caps.

jpnelson82

Are we sure this is the adopted "Hap Arnold Heritage" uniform, there was another one with a mandarin collar and belt more like the USMC uniform of the Second World War, very nice looking. I doubt CAP will get them for years, we're stuck with the cheap business suit for a while longer.
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000

pixelwonk

mikeylikey

I still don't like the belt.  Plus, the AF knows this is based on the "HAP" which was an Army uniform right??  For you AF folks, the AF Portal has a link to give your comments about all AF uniforms and a survey, if you haven't checked it, you should.  I would like to push my personal feelings if I could on those of you who may comment on it.  1....no belt!  2.....bring back the air corps branch insignia to the Officers uniform (thats historical right?)  3.... commissioning braid should be black.  4......perhaps re-introduce the braid to the officers pants (thats what was worn on this uniform in the 1940's)  5.......no necktie for women   6........make service cap mandatory for officers, flight cap for enlisted. 

Thats it.  I tried to "sneak" into the virtual uniform board, even put my CAC in like it told me too, but it came back and said "Not AUTH, non-AF MEM".  So maybe someone else can take my suggestions.
What's up monkeys?

tjaxe

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 30, 2008, 06:00:56 PM
5.......no necktie for women  

MikeyLikey,
Why no necktie for women?  I honestly don't mean this in any nasty kind of way, but, what's it to you?  Why does it matter to you if women wear the neck tie? Plenty of women wouldn't mind wearing the stuff the guys get to wear (yes, "GET" to wear) like pockets in shirts and tie tacks on ties, and all that stuff.  Maybe women should decide what should be worn for the women's uniform.  Just MHO.  :angel:

- Tracey

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

Quote from: tjaxe on April 04, 2008, 07:40:16 PM
5.......no necktie for women  

MikeyLikey,
Why no necktie for women?  I honestly don't mean this in any nasty kind of way, but, what's it to you?  Why does it matter to you if women wear the neck tie? Plenty of women wouldn't mind wearing the stuff the guys get to wear (yes, "GET" to wear) like pockets in shirts and tie tacks on ties, and all that stuff.  Maybe women should decide what should be worn for the women's uniform.  Just MHO.  :angel:

- Tracey

Tracey,

I see where you're coming from.  However as far as the AF stlye uniforms go we have to where them the way the AF dictates. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

JohnKachenmeister

I still don't like the belt.  Plus, the AF knows this is based on the "HAP" which was an Army uniform right??  For you AF folks, the AF Portal has a link to give your comments about all AF uniforms and a survey, if you haven't checked it, you should.  I would like to push my personal feelings if I could on those of you who may comment on it.  1....no belt!  2.....bring back the air corps branch insignia to the Officers uniform (thats historical right?)  3.... commissioning braid should be black.  4......perhaps re-introduce the braid to the officers pants (thats what was worn on this uniform in the 1940's)  5.......no necktie for women   6........make service cap mandatory for officers, flight cap for enlisted. 

Thats it.  I tried to "sneak" into the virtual uniform board, even put my CAC in like it told me too, but it came back and said "Not AUTH, non-AF MEM".  So maybe someone else can take my suggestions.

4.  The stripe on the pants is an Army tradition that dates back to when officers and others rode horses.  Having a stripe allowed the guys who were riding in LPC's (Leather Personnel Carriers) to determine who was who.  Artillerymen, who were also mounted, wore red pants, and were called "Redlegs" as a result.  The AF dropped the trouser stripe because they wanted to start making thier own traditions, and horse cavalry and airplanes didn't seem to mix.
Another former CAP officer