New USAF Service Coat

Started by afgeo4, January 20, 2008, 03:59:37 AM

afgeo4

I know this isn't total news, but the Air Force had last year made a decision on the new service coat. Does anyone know details of the wear test or is it already being phased in?

Today on www.af.mil I noticed the article on USAFE change of command and in the photo, the incoming CC, General Brady, is wearing just that uniform. Looks odd... don't know if I like it after all.
GEORGE LURYE

Eclipse

FWIW I think it has a much more military cut than the current one.  Just look at the Army general next to him.

Not sure on the belt.

I was somewhat surprised to see him wearing a flight cap to such an formal occasion - does the new uniform have a wheel cap?

Another pic closer up:

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Still wear testing as far as I know.

As far as the service cap is concered....the flight cap has been okay for all functions for a long time now.  I don't even think it is a required item for officers anymore....I know it is not required for enlisted personnel.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

The service cap be worn with the new service dress at the wearers option.

mikeylikey

ehhh....no thank you.  Looks hideous.  Lose the belt at a minimum.
What's up monkeys?

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on January 20, 2008, 04:16:24 AM
I don't even think it is a required item for officers anymore....I know it is not required for enlisted personnel.

It's required for Majors and above. Optional for everybody else.

PHall

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 20, 2008, 04:26:54 AM
ehhh....no thank you.  Looks hideous.  Lose the belt at a minimum.

Better learn to like the belt. It's one of the "distinguishing design features" of the new/old Service Dress Jacket.

Hawk200

I kinda like it. At least the now have the belt covering the bottom button. The way they had it before with the belt running between the bottom two looked a little half-baked. The coat in the above pic looks pretty decent actually.

BuckeyeDEJ

I don't have a problem with the current uniform. I'd rather wear a simple uniform than a museum exhibit.

Hey, doesn't the side with the simplest uniforms win?  ;D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Hawk200

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 20, 2008, 09:01:58 PM
I don't have a problem with the current uniform. I'd rather wear a simple uniform than a museum exhibit.

Hey, doesn't the side with the simplest uniforms win?  ;D

Were you around when that one came in? There is such a thing as too simple.

I can remember Airline pilot and stewardess jokes being told, ad nauseam. Can't say I'm gonna miss it, I don't like suits anyway.

JohnKachenmeister

Back before the McPeak bluesuit, we used to call the Air Force guys "Bus drivers," due to the similarity of the old uniform to a Greyhound driver's uniform.

Marines... "Seagoing bellhops."

The Navy tropical white long...  "The Good Humor Man Uniform."  (Even the Navy guys called it that!)

You're never gonna get away from the inter-service jokes.

Like when the Army went to a black beret, and the Marines started calling it the "Monica Lewinsky Hat."
Another former CAP officer

afgeo4

AAAAAA!!! Now I know why I don't like it... it reminds me of this:

GEORGE LURYE

Gunner C

Wow!  No wonder they're now giving military service credit to the AF!  >:D  It actually looks military!

Bear Walling

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 21, 2008, 04:26:51 PM

I think Nazi Germany had some of the best looking uniforms ever. Just my opinion.

tjaxe

It definitely looks "more military" but I think it can be more favorably compared to the British WWII (service?) coat.  I have to agree that Nazi Germany churned out some amazing uniforms but as a person who they would've killed about 5 times over based on their ideology, AND since I like the new coat, I prefer to compare it to the Brits' coat.

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

Bear Walling

We would do the same thing.

And I agree, the new coat is more easily compared to a WWII era British service coat.

Gunner C

Quote from: mfd_324 on January 21, 2008, 04:46:30 PM

I think Nazi Germany had some of the best looking uniforms ever. Just my opinion.

Unless you were being turned into a lamp shade.  YMMV  ::)

JohnKachenmeister

Somebody once pointed out that our own TPU is styled very similar to the German "Kurz Rock fur Generalen."  (Short coat for generals).  Now I'm starting to FEEL like Herman Goring, not just look like him!

JohnKachenmeister

George:

Where did you get that picture?

It appears to be a Wehrmacht uniform (not Waffen SS as the red text indicates) but the uniform has a pilot's badge on it.  Also, the dummy in the picture is not wearing his Nazi party membership badge.

LtCol White

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 21, 2008, 06:11:37 PM

George:

Where did you get that picture?

It appears to be a Wehrmacht uniform (not Waffen SS as the red text indicates) but the uniform has a pilot's badge on it.  Also, the dummy in the picture is not wearing his Nazi party membership badge.

It is Waffen SS grade officer coat. Wehrmacht wore the eagle on the breast, SS wore it on the left sleeve. Wehrmacht also had collar Litzen, SS had the black patches with rank insignia in them.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.