Main Menu

Wearing the ABU's

Started by flyguy06, December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: lordmonar on April 11, 2008, 04:18:54 AM
Let's vote!

Lots of people did, here.

Although I didn't include a Tan/Khaki uniform, it did have other options.  To me, tan/khaki makes zero reference to the military at all.  This isn't to say I don't care for a khaki uniform, just not for CAP.
Serving since 1987.

DC

Tan can look really good, but it does not keep with the military style uniform. And to be honest, what kind of North American woodland is the ABU going to blend in to?

Stonewall

Quote from: DC on April 11, 2008, 02:58:24 PM
And to be honest, what kind of North American woodland is the ABU going to blend in to?

Well, you be the judge.  There are too many pictures to post, but here is a side-by-side comparison of BDUs vs ACUs (ABU is same color scheme, just different pattern).

BDU vs ACU  <<<---- That's a link, click it.

Here is an AF general standing among Army generals.  ABUs are virtually identical in color to the ACU.

Real quick though:

BDU standing at 50m

ACU standing at 50m

Serving since 1987.

DC

They are both clearly visible... And they contrast the dry brush on the ground...

There, tan wouldn't be a good color, it would blend right in with the dry grass.

I think that the ACU and ABU colors were designed to suit our current conflicts, so they gravitate toward urban and desert and don't seem to do a lot of good in the woods...

Here, a soldier wearing ACUs with a BDU pattern vest on.

DNall

We got orange vests for visibility, that's what they're there for. Wearing ABUs or BDUs isn't about ES.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Stonewall on April 11, 2008, 03:19:21 PM
And to be honest, what kind of North American woodland is the ABU going to blend in to?

Well, you be the judge.  There are too many pictures to post, but here is a side-by-side comparison of BDUs vs ACUs (ABU is same color scheme, just different pattern).

Here is an AF general standing among Army generals.  ABUs are virtually identical in color to the ACU.

Well looking at the pictures in the link, I think the Army and Air Force should have followed the Marine Corps and created a woodland digital and a desert digital. I also don't like the grade insignia placement on the ABU, maybe it's just because the general's stars almost wrap all the way around his collar, but the ACU looks better with the grade on the chest. I also like the velcro patches and layout of the ACU better.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on April 12, 2008, 02:22:46 PMWell looking at the pictures in the link, I think the Army and Air Force should have followed the Marine Corps and created a woodland digital and a desert digital. I also don't like the grade insignia placement on the ABU, maybe it's just because the general's stars almost wrap all the way around his collar, but the ACU looks better with the grade on the chest. I also like the velcro patches and layout of the ACU better.

I have always said the USMC had it right, with two field uniforms.  And I've always said, since the ABUs came out, that they're nothing more than a set of BDUs with a different design.  I would much rather have ACUs or a variation, in the Air Force, but of course, I'm not in charge.  The rank, insignia and badges are worn in the exact same fashion on the ABUs as they were on BDUs.  Those stars wrapped around the collar in BDUs as well.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

If we are going to speculate what the services "should have" done....then we might as well say the Marines should have stuck with BDU's in the first place and then this would not be an issue at all.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

shorning

Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2008, 01:51:19 AM
If we are going to speculate what the services "should have" done....then we might as well say the Marines should have stuck with BDU's in the first place and then this would not be an issue at all.

ODs all the way, baby! :P :D

afgeo4

Let's face it, the MARPAT uniforms are ultimately a huge improvement over BDUs. The utility, concealment, and ease of wear on those is off the charts!

I just wish this was a DoD wide development, not USMC specific.
GEORGE LURYE

lordmonar

Quote from: shorning on April 13, 2008, 01:52:39 AM

ODs all the way, baby! :P :D

The nice 100% cotton ones you could starch the hell out of!   ;D :clap:

But I did not want to roll the WAYBACK maching quite that far.  :D

lordmonar

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 13, 2008, 06:48:04 AMLet's face it, the MARPAT uniforms are ultimately a huge improvement over BDUs. The utility, concealment, and ease of wear on those is off the charts!

But was it "needed"?

There was nothing "wrong" with the BDU's...the Marines just wanted to look different and then ran with it.

Earhart1971

Real quick though:

BDU standing at 50m

ACU standing at 50m

Outstanding Post!

And while I think TAN would work (and give an impression of fadded Iraq Desert BDUs of Old) and be visible, from the Air. So What.

I surrender to the CAMO ABUs provided we go with the CAP NAME TAPEs of the same Color and quality of Air Force subdued patches and such, and NOT SCREW IT UP with CAP BLUE TAPEs. Lets just be sharp and meet the weight standards!

Computer Tech Embrodery (its now state of the art) will help us convert to Subdued Wing Patches.

And I will find a sponsor to pay for our Unit Conversion of 60 Cadets and Seniors.

I surrender to ABUs, we just have to wear Orange Vests in the field.

SARMedTech

Quote from: Earhart1971 on April 13, 2008, 07:22:42 AM

Real quick though:

BDU standing at 50m

ACU standing at 50m

Outstanding Post!

And while I think TAN would work (and give an impression of fadded Iraq Desert BDUs of Old) and be visible, from the Air. So What.

I surrender to the CAMO ABUs provided we go with the CAP NAME TAPEs of the same Color and quality of Air Force subdued patches and such, and NOT SCREW IT UP with CAP BLUE TAPEs. Lets just be sharp and meet the weight standards!

Computer Tech Embrodery (its now state of the art) will help us convert to Subdued Wing Patches.

And I will find a sponsor to pay for our Unit Conversion of 60 Cadets and Seniors.

Again, no point in subdued patches. In fact, the very reason they are worn by AD/AF is the reason that we should not wear them. They are trying to avoid being seen, we perform missions which demand/require that we remain visible. Im not sure why so many people are in favor of subdued patches (other than the fact that I readily admit they look cool). They have a reason for wearing them and we do not.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JayT

Outstanding Post!

Wow, you put "Not screw it up" is all caps, you must be really serious.

I really fail to see how you can believe we can accomplish any of out missions better with subuded patches.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

DC

Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2008, 07:06:02 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on April 13, 2008, 06:48:04 AMLet's face it, the MARPAT uniforms are ultimately a huge improvement over BDUs. The utility, concealment, and ease of wear on those is off the charts!

But was it "needed"?

There was nothing "wrong" with the BDU's...the Marines just wanted to look different and then ran with it.
The camo pattern on BDUs is a modified version of the ERDL pattern which was created in the late 40's and first issued in Vietnam. The digital patterns are much more effective at breaking up the body and generally blending in. Also, a good chunk of the world has gone, or is going to digital patterns, including the Chinese...

Though, if we really want the 'dream uniform for all the services to adopt it's Multicam... That stuff rocks! http://www.multicampattern.com/
Quote from: JThemann on April 13, 2008, 01:18:13 PM

Outstanding Post!

I really fail to see how you can believe we can accomplish any of out missions better with subuded patches.
Its all asthetics. The subdued patches look better, and the Ultramarine tapes really are a throwback, but I've never cared really.. As far as impact on missions I wish people would get over the whole camouflage thing, if you are participating in a mission you should be wearing a big, bright orange vest. I would like to note that said vest will cover all of said patches, making the whole subdued/full-color visibility thing moot.

JayT

Quote from: DC on April 13, 2008, 01:27:42 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2008, 07:06:02 AM

But was it "needed"?

The camo pattern on BDUs is a modified version of the ERDL pattern which was created in the late 40's and first issued in Vietnam. The digital patterns are much more effective at breaking up the body and generally blending in. Also, a good chunk of the world has gone, or is going to digital patterns, including the Chinese...

Though, if we really want the 'dream uniform for all the services to adopt it's Multicam... That stuff rocks! http://www.multicampattern.com/

Outstanding Post!

Its all asthetics. The subdued patches look better, and the Ultramarine tapes really are a throwback, but I've never cared really.. As far as impact on missions I wish people would get over the whole camouflage thing, if you are participating in a mission you should be wearing a big, bright orange vest. I would like to note that said vest will cover all of said patches, making the whole subdued/full-color visibility thing moot.

So want fifty thousand plus members to replace all of the stuff on their uniforms to meet your sense of asthetics..........?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Earhart1971

Outstanding Post!

Blue Name Tapes, is a 60s and 70s style.

Blue tapes look norrible, on the Woodlands CAMO.

Please don't tell me National is going to do Blue Tapes on ABUs'

CAP Fashions I also hate the are  Gray Eps and Blue Tapes and Blue Cloth Rank insignia.

Now, I can grudgingly accept,  the Luftwaffe Eps. CAP Auxillary of American Luftwaffe! LOL

Woodlands Camo came out in 1979, I know, I was a Security Police Auggie Dawgie at Hahn Air Base Germany. Yeah, imagine that I was actually in the Air Force!

Sudued is to match the Air Force's Fashion Statement.

I surrender, I surrender.

NEXT ISSUE!

Earhart1971

QuoteSo want fifty thousand plus members to replace all of the stuff on their uniforms to meet your sense of asthetics..........?

No, I want CAP to get a Uniform that looks good, and doesn't match a combination of 60s, and 70s Hodge podge made up uniform Combinations.

And then we keep the Uniform the same for the next 20 Years.

And National CAP can buy the first set for everybody, once they understand how we are underfunded to the point of Ridiculousness.

$750,000 Paid out by National HQ for the Conversion.

Or we do it this, no more Free Blues for Cadets instead free ABU set with boots.

Free ABUs and Boots $150 is the Budget per Cadet estimated.

So National would have to ask for 1 Million from the Congress for the Conversion.

Would that be Fair? To ask Congress for more money?.

Mission List for CAP on 40 Million Dollars a year.

Cadet Programs

Pre School Program

Elementary School Program

Aerospace Education to the Public Program

Volunteers for Air Force Bases, Polo Shirt Team, Program

Home Land Security

Border Watch

Search and Rescue

Middle Schools Program

Wreaths across America Mission

Disaster Relief Missions

County Sundown Patrols