Wearing the ABU's

Started by flyguy06, December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM

DNall

Quote from: DC on April 07, 2008, 11:17:10 PM
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on April 07, 2008, 06:21:56 PM
Quote from: CASH172 on April 07, 2008, 04:44:56 AM
Even if we don't get ABUs,

We will be getting the ABU.  The Air Force has already stated this.  They just haven't told us when.  My guess is within 4 years we'll be in the ABU.
When have they said this? The I-heard-from-a-friend-whose-friend's-uncle's-girlfriend-is-an-AF-officer doesn't qualify. When has the Air Force said for certain that CAP would be authorized to wear ABUs?
It was stated by AETC/CC prior to ABUs even being finalized. It is certain that CAP will always be in the same uniforms AF is wearing as long as CAP exists. This too is based on the finances of economies of scale, surplus manufacture capability, and surplus inventory. All of which is intended to hold down costs for cadets, not adults.

JayT

Sometimes I wonder if there some debates about the fatigue-BDU transition on some ancient BB somewhere.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

O-Rex

Quote from: DNall on April 08, 2008, 04:55:48 AM

We will be getting the ABU.  The Air Force has already stated this.  They just haven't told us when.  My guess is within 4 years we'll be in the ABU.
When have they said this? The I-heard-from-a-friend-whose-friend's-uncle's-girlfriend-is-an-AF-officer doesn't qualify. When has the Air Force said for certain that CAP would be authorized to wear ABUs?
It was stated by AETC/CC prior to ABUs even being finalized. It is certain that CAP will always be in the same uniforms AF is wearing as long as CAP exists. This too is based on the finances of economies of scale, surplus manufacture capability, and surplus inventory. All of which is intended to hold down costs for cadets, not adults.

Patience, my friends: all good things come to those who wait.

In the meantime, let's ride the wave of Woodland gear being phased out: The pricetags on surplus WC ECWCS are going down.

Quote from: O-Rex on April 08, 2008, 01:54:07 PM
Quote from: DNall on April 08, 2008, 04:55:48 AM

Patience, my friends: all good things come to those who wait.

In the meantime, let's ride the wave of Woodland gear being phased out: The pricetags on surplus WC ECWCS are going down.

Which I find interesting considering not a lot of people are trading their BDUs in.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

jeders

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on April 08, 2008, 02:01:43 PM

Which I find interesting considering not a lot of people are trading their BDUs in.

My guess is that they're taking them to local surplus stores and selling them there.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

DNall

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on April 08, 2008, 02:01:43 PM

But they are turning in their CIF gear. That's stuff like gortex & LBVs. That will be stuff we can and should draw from DRMO. There's also a decent supply of boots out there if you keep your eyes open.

O-Rex

Keep in mind that they just didn't halt production of BDU's from one day to the next: facilities were limited, and BDU's and DCU's use the same cutting patterns. At the outset of OIF and OEF, everyone in-theater was wearing DCU's, not to mention that the Marines and Army steadily phased out the BDU's, so production has been on a steady decline.  There have been shortages of the more common sizes for a few years now.

As USAF phases out the BDU, sooner than later, you'll see a ripple effect on the market and in the Cadet Uniform Program, but it won't be the windfall that many of us anticipated.

My concern is the pricetags on ABU accessories: $175 for Winter coat: ouch!

Look for the BDU-ABU transition to be much like the Fatigue-BDU transition 20 years ago.

Quote from: O-Rex on April 08, 2008, 03:36:21 PM

As USAF phases out the BDU, sooner than later, you'll see a ripple effect on the market and in the Cadet Uniform Program, but it won't be the windfall that many of us anticipated.

Look for the BDU-ABU transition to be much like the Fatigue-BDU transition 20 years ago.

The change over to the ABU won't effect the Free Cadet Uniform Progrgram one bit.  Remember the free uniform they get is the blues.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

RickFranz

Part of the problem with this is that most of the BDU's that would normally be available for us in DRMO are being sent to the war zone for the national troops to wear.  So other than boots I don't see us getting a big supply of BDU or related gear.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Quote from: RickFranz on April 08, 2008, 03:59:53 PM
Part of the problem with this is that most of the BDU's that would normally be available for us in DRMO are being sent to the war zone for the national troops to wear.  So other than boots I don't see us getting a big supply of BDU or related gear.

Do you mean the Iraqi allies?  Because I believe everyone in the Warzone is wearing the new style uniform for their branch.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

DNall

I'm thinking that's the field jacket, not the winter weight blouse.

Prices are a bit high now, as were BDUs when they first came out. There will be a point where the AF (incl guard/res) are fully into ABUs & manufacture capacity & inventory are built up. When that happens, the price structure will be in line with current BDUs, and that'll be when CAP is initially authorized to start transitioning.

DNall

Quote from: RickFranz on April 08, 2008, 03:59:53 PM

Actually, uniforms are no longer turned into DRMO at all. Individuals get a yearly clothing allowance, and just scrap the out of service stuff. What goes overseas or to other sources (like CAP) is stuff that's surplus never issued, or collected from quitters at basic training.

The stuff available from DRMO are gear items that remain the property of the government & are issued temporarily to troops. That's field gear, goretex, etc. As people move duty stations & turn that stuff in, if it's getting pretty worn, then it's sent to DRMO.

RickFranz

All I know is that the last time I went to DRMO, I asked about BDU's and the person there said that they where shipping out about 2 truck loads a week to somewhere???  The they said but we have plenty of Boots.  I just think that it kinda funny when I watch the news and I see troops we are training over there and they are wearing what looks like BDU's.  I have been wrong before and could be wrong again ::) ::)
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

jimmydeanno

I thought the Iraqi Army was wearing the chocolate chips we were in GW1...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mmouw

DRMO recieves uniforms from new airmen that don't make it through basic or tech school. Squadron first Sergent's receive uniforms from new airmen that don't adjust to the Air Force life. In both cases, the airmen that turn these in will be the new ABUs and not BDUs. In fact the DRMO at Ellsworth hasn't had BDUs for sometime. I had an agreement with some of the first Sergent's on base to receive the uniforms from discharged airmen, and it only worked out twice in a year's time.

So if CAP is going to be counting on DRMO to receive uniforms, then the ABU will be available much sooner than we all think.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

CASH172

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 08, 2008, 09:54:49 PM
I thought the Iraqi Army was wearing the chocolate chips we were in GW1...

I'm not sure what the national uniform is, but I've seen pics of all sorts of different combos. 

afgeo4

Quote from: DNall on April 08, 2008, 07:39:55 PM
I'm thinking that's the field jacket, not the winter weight blouse.

Prices are a bit high now, as were BDUs when they first came out. There will be a point where the AF (incl guard/res) are fully into ABUs & manufacture capacity & inventory are built up. When that happens, the price structure will be in line with current BDUs, and that'll be when CAP is initially authorized to start transitioning.

1. $175 is the USAF APECS Parka (Gen II ABU Gore-tex parka).
2. BDU was inexpensive because it was produced for all the branches of the US military, including the Coast Guard. That's many, many times more units than the USAF needs by itself. The BDU was also cheaper to produce because it used less expensive fabrics and patterns (no internal pockets and no double cargo pockets).
3. The ABU price doesn't need to be in line with the BDU because it's already accounted for in the budget. All Airmen now receive a higher uniform allotment to purchase the ABU.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Back in January I started a thread called The ABU is expensive.  I don't think it will ever get down in price to where the BDU was, especially with the boots.  I could be wrong.

There was also my report on the ABU after wearing it for a while.  I still say this today, the ABU is very comfortable because you actually get the size you wear, not something like Medium/Long which allows for about 2 to 3 sizes above or below your physical size.  Worst time in my BDU experience of 15 years was when I was between sizes.  Large was too big and Medium was too small.

And don't forget my Utility Uniform Proposal8)
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: CASH172 on April 09, 2008, 02:27:18 AM
I'm not sure what the national uniform is, but I've seen pics of all sorts of different combos. 

Here's the story on the New Iraqi Army (NIA).
Serving since 1987.

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2008, 12:21:09 PM
Back in January I started a thread called The ABU is expensive.  I don't think it will ever get down in price to where the BDU was, especially with the boots.  I could be wrong.

There was also my report on the ABU after wearing it for a while.  I still say this today, the ABU is very comfortable because you actually get the size you wear, not something like Medium/Long which allows for about 2 to 3 sizes above or below your physical size.  Worst time in my BDU experience of 15 years was when I was between sizes.  Large was too big and Medium was too small.

And don't forget my Utility Uniform Proposal8)

I still think your proposal is the best one I've seen.

GC