ABU's With Samples of CAP Insignia

Started by LtCol White, August 03, 2007, 03:18:13 PM

ddelaney103

I'm still convinced white on navy is the way to go.  This will allow the grade insignia on the blue flightsuit/jumpsuit to be used, reducing the number of colors of grade insignia.  It would also allow us to use full color NCO stripes without looking odd.

All we would have to do is change the corp uniforms to white on navy (easy, as they're a NB/NEC decision) and allow white on navy on the AF flight suit (requires AF approval, but they'd probably go along and it would save some money) and all the work suits would have common grades and tapes.

The only thing that would be better is doing all of this on med gray and swapping the TPU blue epaulets for gray and we'd have a common thread running through out uniforms, as it were. Don't know what we'd do about the NCO stripes, though.

RiverAux

white on navy would look great on the current BDUs, but I'm not sure it would work well with the ABUs. 

mikeylikey

How about using what we have now.  I mean come on.......when (and IF) the switch comes, I will rip my blue tapes off the BDU, and re-sew them onto the ABU.  I would more than anything like to get rid of organizational ball caps at a NATIONAL level, and commanders being prohibited from allowing them to be worn.  That would include ALL ORANGE hats, all ENCAMPMENT hats and all those other colored hats that serve no purpose than making certain groups stand out.

Sorry.......um ya, I say stick with the current tapes we have now.
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 07, 2007, 03:41:04 AM
How about using what we have now.  I mean come on.......when (and IF) the switch comes, I will rip my blue tapes off the BDU, and re-sew them onto the ABU.....

Then you end up with old tapes on a new uniform. Seen this done before, both CAP and military. It doesn't look very good. If you're going to buy new uniforms, buy new tapes. They're new anyway, so it won't matter what color they are.

JC004

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 07, 2007, 03:45:36 AM
How about using what we have now.  I mean come on.......when (and IF) the switch comes, I will rip my blue tapes off the BDU, and re-sew them onto the ABU.....

Then you end up with old tapes on a new uniform. Seen this done before, both CAP and military. It doesn't look very good. If you're going to buy new uniforms, buy new tapes. They're new anyway, so it won't matter what color they are.

He doesn't understand because his patches are Velcro now.  Freaking army...

Hawk200

Quote from: JC004 on September 07, 2007, 09:00:53 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 07, 2007, 03:45:36 AM

My CAP uniforms don't use Velcro. Neither did the Air Force uniforms I wore. What is there that I don't understand?

I don't even like most of the Velcro on my Army uniforms, it's a pain.

JC004

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 07, 2007, 10:34:50 AM

My CAP uniforms don't use Velcro. Neither did the Air Force uniforms I wore. What is there that I don't understand?

mikeylikey doesn't understand...not you.   8)

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on September 07, 2007, 01:53:03 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 07, 2007, 10:34:50 AM

mikeylikey doesn't understand...not you.   8)

Wow......I am confused now!  Anyway, I will just velcro my patches onto my ABU's anyway.  To hell with sewing them on. 
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

From that latest batch, the white on OD look fairly sharp and sufficiently distinctive at a distinctive.  That gets my vote.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

pixelwonk

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Mustang

The green in the ABU is sage, not olive.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Hawk200

Quote from: Mustang on September 08, 2007, 06:57:52 AM

Actually, it's not even "sage", it's "foliage". The flighsuits are sage, which is a darker green (often referred to as "smoke green").

The two are easily confused, but if you see them together then it's pretty obvious. Some of the pilots here at my Guard unit have been wearing the flighsuit, but putting the ACU unit insignia on them. The foliage is a lot lighter, even brighter color.

afgeo4

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 13, 2007, 03:13:54 PM

Actually, it's not even "sage", it's "foliage". The flighsuits are sage, which is a darker green (often referred to as "smoke green").

The two are easily confused, but if you see them together then it's pretty obvious. Some of the pilots here at my Guard unit have been wearing the flighsuit, but putting the ACU unit insignia on them. The foliage is a lot lighter, even brighter color.
According to the Air Force, the color in the ABU is sage. As far as I know, the flightsuit is olive, but that's semantics. BTW... ACU unit insignia? On CAP bags?
GEORGE LURYE

ddelaney103

Quote from: afgeo4 on September 15, 2007, 08:04:25 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 13, 2007, 03:13:54 PM

According to the Air Force, the color in the ABU is sage. As far as I know, the flightsuit is olive, but that's semantics. BTW... ACU unit insignia? On CAP bags?

I suspect he's talking about an Army Guard aviation unit putting the ACU subdued patches instead of the old BDU subdued patches on the flightsuit.  They look very different from each other.

Eagle400

Quote from: BillB on September 06, 2007, 10:43:56 PM
Mike you're wrong,  grade insignia is worn on BOTH sides, there is a policy letter on that

No, that's not what MIKE is talking about.  He's saying that the grade insignia is not positioned correctly (i.e. it's supposed to be placed 1 inch above bottom of collar and horizontal with collar). 

Example:

LtCol White

Quote from: ♠ on September 16, 2007, 01:53:49 AM

Quote from: BillB on September 06, 2007, 10:43:56 PM
Mike you're wrong,  grade insignia is worn on BOTH sides, there is a policy letter on that

No, that's not what MIKE is talking about.  He's saying that the grade insignia is not positioned correctly (i.e. it's supposed to be placed 1 inch above bottom of collar and horizontal with collar). 

Example:

Honestly, it really doesnt matter anyway. The grade in the photos is just laid in place and not sewn on. Jeez... It was for illustation purposes for the photos.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

mikeylikey

That CAP ABU looks good!  I hope that is what we go with.  Enough supporting Vanguard with distinctive CAP crap, that we should be allowed to get anywhere.
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 16, 2007, 07:33:49 PM
That CAP ABU looks good!  I hope that is what we go with.  Enough supporting Vanguard with distinctive CAP crap, that we should be allowed to get anywhere.

I agree.  It's not totally blinding to the eye, subtle , but yet different in our own personal way.

Hawk200

Quote from: ddelaney103 on September 16, 2007, 01:11:01 AM
I suspect he's talking about an Army Guard aviation unit putting the ACU subdued patches instead of the old BDU subdued patches on the flightsuit.  They look very different from each other.

You'd be correct. The different shades of green are very obvious when seen that way. The flightsuit is "sage", the green used on Army patches is "foliage". When it comes to the military, color coordination seems to be very important. (Most of the time.  ;D )