Flight Suit Badges

Started by JohnKachenmeister, May 25, 2007, 02:19:28 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Well, here I am, all dressed up in my green zoom bag waiting to go to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station for my afternoon tour guide duty.  While I was pulling on my hero-aviator suit, I noticed my leather name badge.  The AF Space Command was urprised that we in the CAP still wear them.

Now, I recall that about a year ago the NB voted to authorize embroidered name badges.  It went to the AF uniform board for approval, and there was some discussion at "Echelons Above Reality" regarding what color scheme would be approved for wear.  Does anybody know where that issue stands now?

By the way, we are expecting a heavy load of tourists today.  The new Space Shuttle Experience ride... the first motion ride at the Kennedy Space Center Visitors' Complex ever... is opening to the public today.  We willprobably see a lot of folks taking the "Canaveral Then and Now" tour.
Another former CAP officer

Smokey

Kack,

Actualy embroidered name badges was approved by the NB years ago....here is the reply I got from NHQ last year...

The embroidered nametag was not submitted to the Air Force for approval.  CAP approved the concept but never decided on a basic proposal to submit and the National Commander at the time did not wish to pursue it.  There are some other issues with the flightsuit grade that are being addressed now.  If I can answer any other questions for you please let me know.

SUSAN P. PARKER
Deputy Director, Membership Services

The other issue is...embroidered grade insignia for the green zoom bag was approved by the NB more than a year ago......It was sent to the Air Force for approval.....but haven't heard on that yet.

Smokey

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

BillB

Kach

Does the new exhibit at the cape mean you can wear CAP astronaut wings on your zoomie suit?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Hawk200

Quote from: BillB on May 25, 2007, 07:04:31 PM
Kach

Does the new exhibit at the cape mean you can wear CAP astronaut wings on your zoomie suit?

That's funny...

mikeylikey

Quote from: Smokey on May 25, 2007, 05:40:47 PM
Kack,

Actualy embroidered name badges was approved by the NB years ago....here is the reply I got from NHQ last year...

The embroidered nametag was not submitted to the Air Force for approval.  CAP approved the concept but never decided on a basic proposal to submit and the National Commander at the time did not wish to pursue it.  There are some other issues with the flightsuit grade that are being addressed now.  If I can answer any other questions for you please let me know.

SUSAN P. PARKER
Deputy Director, Membership Services

The other issue is...embroidered grade insignia for the green zoom bag was approved by the NB more than a year ago......It was sent to the Air Force for approval.....but haven't heard on that yet.

Smokey

Wow.....lets follow through with what we start.....or else don't waste time doing something you just give up on before completion! 
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Smurf and White would be fine by me...nothing radical, but a decent color scheme. 

PHall

Royal Blue background, Gold edging and lettering and White wings.

Simple, basic and non-controversial.

LtCol White

I think blue background, yellow border, silver wings and writing is better. Matches the MAJCOM patch better
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JC004

Quote from: LtCol White on May 25, 2007, 10:36:25 PM
I think blue background, yellow border, silver wings and writing is better. Matches the MAJCOM patch better

As Supreme Commander of the US Civil Air Patrol, I approve this.  Done.

Al Sayre

Hey Kack,

Just wear your old bag and badges and have them put you in the 1960's "Then" exhibit... :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

RiverAux

I saw one CAP officer with a cloth name badge quite recently.  Had read about it in the minutes and assumed it had been authorized.  Interesting. 

MIKE

Quote from: LtCol White on May 25, 2007, 10:36:25 PM

If you wanna have some fun with different color combinations.  They used to do CAP ASNPs until they got the dreaded C&D letter.  I kind of like the ones where the badge(s), text and boarder are all the same color myself.
Mike Johnston

LtCol White

Any of our resident graphics wizards wanna work up some samples of color schemes for fun?
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

mikeylikey

I am sure we will eventually be stuck with florescent blue, purple or pink
What's up monkeys?

Pumbaa

As long as the color glows in the dark too....

LtCol White

Perhaps gray flight suit nametags  ;D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Mustang

Quote from: PHall on May 25, 2007, 10:30:29 PM

And also the generic USAF standard.  (See attached)

But I don't think there should be one nationwide standard. Colored nametags are a unit morale thing in the AF, with each squadron having its own standard, pulling the colors from their unit patch--and so I think it should be in CAP.  Leave the color scheme up to individual units, to be approved by the wing commander, same as unit patches. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

mikeylikey

Quote from: Mustang on May 26, 2007, 01:37:04 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 25, 2007, 10:30:29 PM

And also the generic USAF standard.  (See attached)

But I don't think there should be one nationwide standard. Colored nametags are a unit morale thing in the AF, with each squadron having its own standard, pulling the colors from their unit patch--and so I think it should be in CAP.  Leave the color scheme up to individual units, to be approved by the wing commander, same as unit patches. 

Yes.....did we already forget the "one CAP" philosophy that was thrown on us not too long ago?  "Get rid of wing patches, we are one CAP, not many seperate units". 

I like the idea of leaving it up to the local units, or even the Wings to design the patches.  However, it will be up to Vanguard, as they will dictate what we are to wear based on what over-stock surplus material they have to design the patches. 

I say.......lets just run with a black with white lettering thing.  While we are at it......lets get rid of the plastic crap on our shoulders.  When did the military move away from that style anyway??
What's up monkeys?

PHall

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 26, 2007, 03:10:43 AM
While we are at it......lets get rid of the plastic crap on our shoulders.  When did the military move away from that style anyway??

About 15 years ago in 1992. At least that's when the Air Force did.

Smokey

The NB did approve embroidered grade insignia for the green zoom bag but had to send it on to the Air Force for approval.   As of now, I don't think the AF has said yeah or nay.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.