Jump Start- ABU Name Tapes, AF Occupational Badges, CAP Specialty Track Badges,

Started by USAFRiggerGuy, May 06, 2016, 01:06:55 PM

USAFRiggerGuy

The long wait is over and on 15 June 2016 CAP members will be authorized to wear the ABU.  I have been waiting for this day since I got out of the Air Force in 2012 and my ABUs have been collecting dust ever since.  After going through one transition from the BDU when I was in the Air Force I am happy to be going through another one in CAP.  Since the ABU has so many non mandatory accoutrements it will make it easier for members to transition since all a member needs are the ABUs and Name Tapes to start off.  According to the revised 39-1 it states that all of the patches and tapes will be "Dark Blue" and "Light Silver Thread".  After looking at a few sites I believe that this combination will work (Navy Blue and Silver Thread) .  The only thing you will have to do is type "CIVIL AIR PATROL" as your last name for one tape and then a separate tape that has your actual last name on it.  Let me know what you guys think of the coloring:

http://www.militarynames.com/customnavybluewebbednametapessewon.aspx

Also, if anyone has any insight on where to order USAF occupational badges in various colors I would be grateful if you would post the link on this forum.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

Simple Jack

What size fount would we use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: youduho on May 06, 2016, 01:36:23 PM
What size fount would we use?

Standard, also you could measure the side on your current BDU name tapes. Should measure to aprox. 3/4 inch.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

Jester

https://www.nametags4u.com/product/?pid=1671

I used these guys after I saw the link somewhere on here. They already have silver on navy as an option but I have no idea if it's the right silver or something metallic.

I'd recommend getting the folded option. I got the unfolded because I figured it would be like the regular cloth badges that have an inch or so if fabric around it and it ended up being a square foot of cloth with the embroidery in the center.

I prefer fabric tapes over webbed and am keeping an eye out for the right color scheme.

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: Jester on May 06, 2016, 01:39:56 PM
https://www.nametags4u.com/product/?pid=1671

I used these guys after I saw the link somewhere on here. They already have silver on navy as an option but I have no idea if it's the right silver or something metallic.

I'd recommend getting the folded option. I got the unfolded because I figured it would be like the regular cloth badges that have an inch or so if fabric around it and it ended up being a square foot of cloth with the embroidery in the center.

I prefer fabric tapes over webbed and am keeping an eye out for the right color scheme.

Thanks for the reply. I wish that they would give some more description on the "Dark Blue". However, I think we can all decipher what the silver is going to be like.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

NIN

You do realize you're going to cause problems with these companies, right?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: NIN on May 06, 2016, 01:53:49 PM

Why is that? I ordered all of my USAF occupational badges in ultramarine blue for the BDU off of another site besides vanguard. Vanguard didn't offer them in the UM Blue so I took my business elsewhere. Why would name tapes be different?
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

Simple Jack

I'm trying to figure out what cadet nco's are supposed to wear on the rank spot on the hook and loop fleece coat.

Mustang

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 06, 2016, 01:56:47 PM

Why is that? I ordered all of my USAF occupational badges in ultramarine blue for the BDU off of another site besides vanguard. Vanguard didn't offer them in the UM Blue so I took my business elsewhere. Why would name tapes be different?
You're new to this CAP thing, ain'tcha... [emoji23]
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Simple Jack

Quote from: Mustang on May 06, 2016, 02:00:14 PM

Lol

NIN

Unless your last name is "CIVIL AIR PATROL"...

1800nametape.com (Spur) is where I got my white on ultramarine army stuff.  You're correct that Vanguard doesn't hold exclusivity on that.

But Spur, who used to do really nice ultramarine nametapes (and for a nice price)  and was my unit's primary vendor for nametapes years ago when the Bookstore was our supplier, got the ol' "cease and desist" letter.  As did others. Especially those doing CAP Wings, as well.

Its the nature of the agreement.  If CAP fails to enforce the agreements its made with its vendors on the enforcement of use of its marks, well, the legal folks can explain that better than I can.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: Mustang on May 06, 2016, 02:00:14 PM

Somewhat, but I hate the monopoly that Vanguard has.... So I look elsewhere if I can!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: NIN on May 06, 2016, 02:01:58 PM

1800nametape.com (Spur) is where I got my white on ultramarine army stuff.  You're correct that Vanguard doesn't hold exclusivity on that.

But Spur, who used to do really nice ultramarine nametapes (and for a nice price)  and was my unit's primary vendor for nametapes years ago when the Bookstore was our supplier, got the ol' "cease and desist" letter.  As did others. Especially those doing CAP Wings, as well.

Its the nature of the agreement.  If CAP fails to enforce the agreements its made with its vendors on the enforcement of use of its marks, well, the legal folks can explain that better than I can.

I understand all of that, can't knock a guy for trying though. If they email me saying they can't do it then by all means I'll wait for VG to take 5 years to get the stuff out.... Maybe that's why they are giving us a 5 year phase period [emoji23]
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

Spaceman3750

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 06, 2016, 02:04:45 PM
Quote from: NIN on May 06, 2016, 02:01:58 PM

I understand all of that, can't knock a guy for trying though. If they email me saying they can't do it then by all means I'll wait for VG to take 5 years to get the stuff out.... Maybe that's why they are giving us a 5 year phase period [emoji23]

VG has been extremely on top of orders. My last one, including embroidery, was shipped in the neighborhood of 1-2 days.

Luis R. Ramos

In case you have not seen this, I saw this note in the NameTags4u site:

NOTICE:

What we CAN'T do:

We may no longer supply, sell, or manufacter manufacture any items relating to or containing reference to Civil Air Patrol or it's logos.

This includes but is not limited to items for specific squadrons that incorporate the C.A.P logo or badges in their design, BDU tapes, flightsuit nametags, hats, and patches containing civil air patrol badges either alone or in combination with stardard military badges regardless of availability, or lack thereof though C.A.P.

Please direct any and all questions on this matter to Civil Air Patrol Headquarters.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 06, 2016, 02:04:45 PM

Well, if that nametag vendor didn't get a C&D letter before....

Producing new insignia for VG is as simple as changing the thread and the fabric in the machine.

They already have thread, fabric, nametape material and the pattern files.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

I'd hazard that VG is ramped up in anticipation of the business, if for no other reason then the attention.
If you can't wait to get them, there are 100 vendors on the InterPipes that can and will make nametapes in any format you want,
including Amazon last time I checked.

Enter the appropriate AOL keyword and move on with the day.

"That Others May Zoom"

USAFRiggerGuy

I know VG won't make USAF occupational badges in other colors. I'm curious on the dark blue coloring and how it will relate to outside vendors producing USAF Occ badges for CAP members so they match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 06, 2016, 02:39:39 PM
I know VG won't make USAF occupational badges in other colors. I'm curious on the dark blue coloring and how it will relate to outside vendors producing USAF Occ badges for CAP members so they match

It doesn't and there's never been an issue with VG in this regard.

A: They aren't required on CAP uniforms, so if you want to wear them, it's on you, not them.

B: Those insignia are not restricted by public law in the way that CAP badges are. VG has an exclusive license
on badges and insignia which are CAP-specific, nothing else, as such, there are a handful of vendors
who feel like making military badges them in various colors with no issues.  Again, AOL is your friend.

"That Others May Zoom"

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2016, 02:44:26 PM
Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 06, 2016, 02:39:39 PM

It doesn't and there's never been an issue with VG in this regard.

A: They aren't required on CAP uniforms, so if you want to wear them, it's on you, not them.

B: Those insignia are not restricted by public law in the way that CAP badges are. VG has an exclusive license
on badges and insignia which are CAP-specific, nothing else, as such, there are a handful of vendors
who feel like making military badges them in various colors with no issues.  Again, AOL is your friend.

I totally get that. I'm just saying "Ultramarine Blue" is a more specific color to match than "Dark Blue" is when your using an outside vendor for occupational badges. You obviously want all the colors to match up.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099