Senior ABUs at the Winter Command Council

Started by Nascar Jack, March 02, 2016, 04:29:05 PM

Abby.L

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 06, 2016, 12:53:18 PM
Back when the Air Force still wore BDU's and DCU's, black t-shirts and black boots were worn with both uniforms.  I don't recall a huge uproar over this either.

Well, though I'm no expert on DCUs, I would say that the reason there was no uproar over the black shirts/boots with BDUs is because, as many people can agree with, the black goes well with the dark coloration of the BDUs. Therefore, there was no need to have an uproar about it.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Luis R. Ramos

There was no argument or complaints over the green coloration of the OG 107s and OG 507 either and that green was not as dark as the BDUs...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ProdigalJim

I just find it amusing how we fetishize over every detail on the ABU, but when it comes to dressing nicely for a formal event a lot of us seem perfectly OK with a 50-cent clip-on tie and a blazer fished out of the Salvation Army donation bin.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

THRAWN

Or looking like a sausage stuffed into blue casing....

I am with N6RVT. You got what you wanted and still it is not enough.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Storm Chaser

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 06, 2016, 12:53:18 PM
Back when the Air Force still wore BDU's and DCU's, black t-shirts and black boots were worn with both uniforms.  I don't recall a huge uproar over this either.

The original DCUs had black "chocolate-chip cookie-dough" designs on its camouflage pattern, so black t-shirts didn't look too bad with the uniform. I don't believe the military wore black t-shirts or boots with the redesigned DCU. The other thing to consider is that when service men and women were sent to the Middle East during the Gulf War, there was still a transition going on with regards to new uniforms and matching equipment.

arajca

Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 06, 2016, 07:25:28 PM
I just find it amusing how we fetishize over every detail on the ABU, but when it comes to dressing nicely for a formal event a lot of us seem perfectly OK with a 50-cent clip-on tie and a blazer fished out of the Salvation Army donation bin.
A lot of us aren't OK with it, but after beating our heads against that wall for a long time, the wall won.

For now...

abdsp51

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 06, 2016, 07:48:45 PM
The original DCUs had black "chocolate-chip cookie-dough" designs on its camouflage pattern, so black t-shirts didn't look too bad with the uniform. I don't believe the military wore black t-shirts or boots with the redesigned DCU. The other thing to consider is that when service men and women were sent to the Middle East during the Gulf War, there was still a transition going on with regards to new uniforms and matching equipment.

When we were wearing the tri-color DCU I wore black tshirts with it just not the boots as at that time black boots weren't authorized with it.

Майор Хаткевич

It's the demographic that wants to look the part without doing the part...

goblin

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 02:21:17 AM
It's the demographic that wants to look the part without doing the part...

This

USACAP

This.
Exactly what you said.
Wise man.
Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 06, 2016, 07:25:28 PM

In 22 years of active and reserve service we've pretty much been in a constant state of matching and rematching uniforms and equipment.
The ubiquitous BDUs (M81 pattern), 2 shades of DCUs, CCU, ACU, Multicam, FRAC-U, now OCP (in Scorpion W-2), 5 styles of body armor, 3 styles of LBE ... etc etc etc.
Keeps defense contractors and think tanks in business.
Just have to roll with all of it because it will change soon. :)

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 06, 2016, 07:48:45 PM
... there was still a transition going on with regards to new uniforms and matching equipment.

Raikkonen

It's not only CAP that the uniform standards don't seem to apply to seniors.  I just left active duty and for 14 years I watched senior enlisted and officers alike take a giant dump on height weight standards by "hooking each other up" when it came time to actually do a height / weight.  I was a Senior NCO and seeing my peers not falling into standard was aggravating to say the least.   

BUT, in this situation, General Vasquez and General Myrik are within the standard.

Eclipse

Quote from: Raikkonen on April 07, 2016, 10:31:52 PM
BUT, in this situation, General Vasquez and General Myrik are within the standard.

One need only to continue through the Flicker pool to find them doing "shake and takes" with plenty of people who aren't even close.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

There's no uniform weight/height standard in the Air Force; there hasn't been for years. There's a waist circumference measurement associated with the fitness assessment, not uniform wear. 

Now, I agree that many service members wear a size or two too small, but that's a different issue. One that certainly should've addressed.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 08, 2016, 06:05:30 PM
There's no uniform weight/height standard in the Air Force; there hasn't been for years.

But there is in CAP!

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on April 08, 2016, 06:14:22 PM
There's no uniform weight/height standard in the Air Force; there hasn't been for years.

But there is in CAP!

A custom more honored in the breach than in the observance, I'm afraid.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ProdigalJim on April 08, 2016, 06:18:13 PM

But there is in CAP!

A custom more honored in the breach than in the observance, I'm afraid.

Point taken, if with a lot of sadness.

Storm Chaser

But there is in CAP!

Really? I'm glad you cleared that up.  >:D

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 08, 2016, 06:43:20 PM

But there is in CAP!

See two previous posts as to why it needs to be reminded. Oh, I forgot to add, we're not the AF, so what they do doesn't apply to us.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on April 08, 2016, 06:56:20 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 08, 2016, 06:43:20 PM

But there is in CAP!

See two previous posts as to why it needs to be reminded. Oh, I forgot to add, we're not the AF, so what they do doesn't apply to us.

Perhaps we shouldn't wear THEIR uniform either.

vorteks