Wear of CAP World War II Aviation Badge authorized

Started by disamuel, November 16, 2015, 05:55:37 PM

goblin

People won't wear those wings because they don't look "USAF-enough"

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

winterg

And, it's always about the pilots and aircrew.  Where's the historical love for use ground guys?  ;D

almostspaatz

Quote from: winterg on November 17, 2015, 02:33:17 AM
And, it's always about the pilots and aircrew.  Where's the historical love for use ground guys?  ;D

A GTL in my squadron has an old version of the senior GT badge that he showed me once (not sure what era) it looks pretty cool, but its basically the same design as the current version and not as shiny...

I'd be interested to see what an old GT badge looked like, have they changed as much as the aviation badges?
C/Maj Steve Garrett

SkywalkerRA

According to this would we wear the same wings on service coat as the shirt?

LSThiker

Quote from: almostspaatz on November 17, 2015, 02:41:47 AM

A GTL in my squadron has an old version of the senior GT badge that he showed me once (not sure what era) it looks pretty cool, but its basically the same design as the current version and not as shiny...

I'd be interested to see what an old GT badge looked like, have they changed as much as the aviation badges?

Haven't as they were created in 1994, IRC

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

almostspaatz

Quote from: LSThiker on November 17, 2015, 03:15:58 AM
Quote from: almostspaatz on November 17, 2015, 02:41:47 AM

Haven't as they were created in 1994, IRC

Interesting...so basically just the two versions
C/Maj Steve Garrett

LSThiker

JC004

I'm going with the Coastal Patrol submarine and bomb for my coat, instead of the wings.    >:D   heh heh

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

LTC Don

Quote from: jeders on November 16, 2015, 11:08:04 PM
Who knows, maybe when the USAF is 75 years old, they'll let pilots wear WWII heritage insignia.

They may.  But, the US Air Force already has museums all across the country so what would be the point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Air_Force_museums  in addition to the plethora of private milair museums.  What does CAP have to tout it's history of service to the nation?  Not much. So anything that can be done to celebrate our history of service to the nation is a plus.

Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Alaric

Quote from: LSThiker on November 16, 2015, 08:31:48 PM
Quote from: Alaric on November 16, 2015, 08:07:36 PM
The resources are coming out of the same budget, every dollar spent by National on this Anniversary based items is a dollar not being spent on other issues, including training, AEX, etc.

Out of the $39.8 million it receives with ~$3 million in member dues, if I recall correctly, I think only $4,000 goes to the history.  The Chief Historian can please correct me.  Very little actually goes to the history of CAP.  I believe most of that goes to spending for the storage space for CAP items.

And in my opinion, if that number is accurate that's 4000 dollars too much

winterg

Really? You are going to begrudge the historians a paltry $4,000? Now you are just being unreasonable. As a national organization with over 7 decades of history, it would be irresponsible not to take some measure to preserve and record that for posterity.

Alaric

Quote from: winterg on November 17, 2015, 01:04:36 PM
Really? You are going to begrudge the historians a paltry $4,000? Now you are just being unreasonable. As a national organization with over 7 decades of history, it would be irresponsible not to take some measure to preserve and record that for posterity.

We all have our priorities, looking backwards is not one of mine.  The budget is a zero sum game once issued and I think we need to be spending our money on making sure we are ready to perform our current missions, not talking about how wonderful we were back in the 40's

winterg

I agree we need to keep looking forward to stay current. But let me ask this.  What CAP national program is underfunded such that an infusion of $4000 would turn it around? What are we not doing that this money would make the difference between success and failure? Personally, I am amazed at the great work our historians have done at so little cost to us.

Luis R. Ramos

MisterCD,

I see some reenactors wearing WW II CAP uniforms. But have not found where to buy the shirts with the red epaulets. Do you have one place?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Alaric

Quote from: winterg on November 17, 2015, 01:15:53 PM
I agree we need to keep looking forward to stay current. But let me ask this.  What CAP national program is underfunded such that an infusion of $4000 would turn it around? What are we not doing that this money would make the difference between success and failure? Personally, I am amazed at the great work our historians have done at so little cost to us.

First, I would like to see the actual numbers, not a guess, and having reviewed the Financial report for 2014 other than the mention of a restricted fund that is used to defray historical costs (not necessarily cover them completely) there is no line item for the costs that are incurred for Historical activities.  I'm fairly certain the hoopla over the 75th anniversary is costing more than 4000 dollars, but once again have no concrete numbers.

Second, I am not claiming 4000 dollars would turn a program around, what I am saying is if we can spend that money to send 1 cadet to an NCSA, pay for 1 weekend of PD training, or any of the other myriad of things we can do with 4000 dollars, that's what we should be doing, not breaking our arms patting ourselves on the back.

LSThiker

Quote from: Alaric on November 17, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
We all have our priorities, looking backwards is not one of mine.  The budget is a zero sum game once issued and I think we need to be spending our money on making sure we are ready to perform our current missions, not talking about how wonderful we were back in the 40's

Do you think we should teach our cadets about aerospace history?  Or military history?  Or do you think all that mandatory AE time should be spent on ES training?

Alaric

Quote from: LSThiker on November 17, 2015, 02:28:42 PM
Quote from: Alaric on November 17, 2015, 01:10:34 PM

Do you think we should teach our cadets about aerospace history?  Or military history?  Or do you think all that mandatory AE time should be spent on ES training?

Yes, Yes, no.

Those items are already "budgeted" and are part of our three fold mission. The key word is Mandatory as in we are mandated to teach AE, have a cadet program, and do ES  Nothing mandatory about celebrating the 75th anniversary with uniform changes, logos, and commemorative items. I don't remember "Throw a celebration and keep reminding people of your organizations wartime service" in the charter, but maybe I missed it.