Questions about the blue polo shirt uniform combo and senior BDU's

Started by xray328, August 05, 2015, 07:02:32 PM

xray328

Forgive me in advance, I'm sure it's all in the regs, just can't find it...

If Senior Members wear the blue polo/grey slacks combination are we still saluting other Seniors? Are cadets still saluting us?

Are combat boots (spit shined Corcoran's) authorized to wear with this combo? And if it's authorized is anyone actually wearing them?

We're going to a cadet activity this weekend where BDU's are the uniform of the day, I'm good to go except for the "CAP" insignia, still waiting on Vanguard.  Am I gonna get thumped for not having it on?

Thanks.

Tim Day

Xray,

CAPP 151, "Respect on Display" has a very clear explanation of when to salute as well as other helpful information about CAP customs and courtesies.

In the specific case you mention, no - when you are wearing civilian clothes or corporate uniform you do not salute. However, junior personnel in AF-style uniform should salute senior personnel in any uniform or civilian clothes on recognition. The senior will return the salute if in AF-style uniform or otherwise politely acknowledge the salute ("Thank you, Cadet Captain Smith" works great) if not in AF-style uniform.

And no, you should not wear an incomplete uniform (BDU without insignia).
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

xray328

winterg

To answer your question about the combat boots with Polo combination.

Yes.  CAPM 39-1 section 5.2.2.6

xray328

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Tim Day on August 05, 2015, 07:15:44 PM
Xray,

CAPP 151, "Respect on Display" has a very clear explanation of when to salute as well as other helpful information about CAP customs and courtesies.

In the specific case you mention, no - when you are wearing civilian clothes or corporate uniform you do not salute. However, junior personnel in AF-style uniform should salute senior personnel in any uniform or civilian clothes on recognition. The senior will return the salute if in AF-style uniform or otherwise politely acknowledge the salute ("Thank you, Cadet Captain Smith" works great) if not in AF-style uniform.

I disagree.

If a junior individual wearing an Air Force-style uniform recognizes a superior officer wearing civilian attire, he/she would not render a salute to that superior.

The salute is rendered to the grade/uniform, not the person wearing it.

vorteks

CAPP 151 says on page 3:

Quote"For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer). "

The aviator shirt combo is a corporate-style uniform, and it's not excluded from rendering C&C.

The pamphlet follows up the above guideline with: 

Quote"Regardless, CAP encourages all members to take part in something larger than themselves by participating in these rich traditions."

As a new member I was tripped up a few times trying to figure out when and when not to salute or return a salute when wearing the corporate uniforms. Now I always return a salute, regardless of the style of the uniform I'm wearing, and I have no problem initiating a salute when I'm wearing the aviator shirt combo.

PA Guy

Xray,

Are you saying that when wearing an aviator shirt or BBDU you should not render/return a salute?

From CAPP 151:

Senior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and
courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all
uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer).

This seems to restrict saluting only when wearing a polo or blazer?

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 05, 2015, 07:53:13 PM
Xray,

I disagree.

If a junior individual wearing an Air Force-style uniform recognizes a superior officer wearing civilian attire, he/she would not render a salute to that superior.

It's not required, but it doesn't hurt to salute your wing king when he is wandering around your squadron area in Bermuda shorts and a Magnum PI shirt. You salute the position, not just the grade...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

xray328

If I'm saluted I'm returning the salute regardless of uniform. It's just the respectful thing to do, especially as new member working with cadets.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: THRAWN on August 05, 2015, 08:26:45 PM
Xray,

I disagree.

It's not required, but it doesn't hurt to salute your wing king when he is wandering around your squadron area in Bermuda shorts and a Magnum PI shirt. You salute the position, not just the grade...

Very true; however, as it is not a requirement, it's not something I would go out of my way to promote or enforce.

If I'm wearing civilian clothing and a cadet doesn't salute me, that's totally fine. If I'm in uniform and a cadet doesn't salute me, depending on the circumstances of the situation (such as walking past me in a parking lot), I'm generally not going to do anything about it. Let's not nit-pick here. That's where you get poor leadership. If we're in training country and a salute was most definitely warranted based on the environment and operating conditions, I wouldn't say anything in group. I would address it off-to-the-side later at an appropriate opportunity, not in front of the rest of the squadron/flight. And it's generally along the lines of "Hey, just make sure you salute officers when you're supposed to, alright? If you don't know, salute, and ask later on if it's appropriate." I'd rather they attempt and ask than to not do anything, but I'm not going to chastise anyone for a quick mistake.

When I was in Army ROTC in college, I walked right past a Lieutenant Colonel and didn't salute after direct eye contact. He didn't say anything. Later that day, he told the entire battalion that if they walk past a senior officer, they are supposed to salute (and explained the whole ordeal on when to drop a salute). I went up to him after training that day and apologized for it and said I know the speech was addressing that incident with me. He said it wasn't a big deal and not to worry about it, "sh---stuff---happens." Easy peasy.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: xray328 on August 05, 2015, 08:32:04 PM
If I'm saluted I'm returning the salute regardless of uniform. It's just the respectful thing to do, especially as new member working with cadets.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Eaker Guy

As a cadet, it is my general practice to salute all senior members, regardless of uniform. When in polo/blazer, it appears that it is their choice to salute back. It is not expected, but I believe it should be encouraged.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 06, 2015, 02:36:26 PM
As a cadet, it is my general practice to salute all senior members, regardless of uniform. When in polo/blazer, it appears that it is their choice to salute back. It is not expected, but I believe it should be encouraged.

Just remember, not every senior member is an officer. Cadets only need to salute officers in the grades of FO or higher. A verbal greeting should be rendered to all other senior members without grade or NCOs.

THRAWN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 06, 2015, 02:56:32 PM

Just remember, not every senior member is an officer. Cadets only need to salute officers in the grades of FO or higher. A verbal greeting should be rendered to all other senior members without grade or NCOs.

Sure about that? Take a look in CAPP 151 for the answer.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eaker Guy

As I said, I believe it should be encouraged.

--C/Maj Kiss

Tim Day

Xray,

I disagree.

Quote from:  CAPP 151When in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of
what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their
squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In
such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge
the salute, but not return it.

During my 24 years in the Navy, courtesies were rendered to persons, to whom grade is assigned even when they are not in uniform.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

Tim Day

Quote from: xray328 on August 05, 2015, 08:32:04 PM

This is not incorrect. CAPP 151 states typically a senior officer in civilian clothes would return a salute by verbally acknowledging that salute, but there's no prohibition on returning a salute when in civilian clothes. Either the salute or a courteous verbal response can demonstrate the same level of respect.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

xray328

Reminds me of that seen at the end of "Men of Honor" Don't be that guy...

http://youtu.be/9IxUdFJlcDo

(First couple minutes)

Sapper168

No distinction is made between Senior member Officers and NCO's.

CAPP-151, Respect on Display, page 5, first sentence under 'Key Principle.'     

" When outdoors and in uniform, cadets salute military officers, CAP senior members, and cadet officers higher in rank than themselves."

Emphasis mine.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"