Main Menu

Really? ABU's?

Started by Blackhawk, September 06, 2013, 07:14:10 PM

Blackhawk

Just a thought, but I believe the ABU's are only being considered because all of the active duty services may be going to a single camouflage pattern (thankfully).  The ABU & ACU patterns (which are similar) are ineffective in concealment and are easily spotted in the operational environment.  Is CAP just (possibly) adopting a "failed" uniform to replace the more "successful" woodland pattern?

That being said, I am not convinced that CAP adopting the ABU is necessarily a good thing, it kind of sends the message of: "here's our failed rejects, wear it with pride."  I supposse that the ABU's would lend to better visibility though!

Thoughts? Go! 

RangerConlin

Sure, dont just kick the hornet's nest, but play soccer with it.

Duck and cover....

abdsp51

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 06, 2013, 07:14:10 PM
Just a thought, but I believe the ABU's are only being considered because all of the active duty services may be going to a single camouflage pattern (thankfully).  The ABU & ACU patterns (which are similar) are ineffective in concealment and are easily spotted in the operational environment.  Is CAP just (possibly) adopting a "failed" uniform to replace the more "successful" woodland pattern?

That being said, I am not convinced that CAP adopting the ABU is necessarily a good thing, it kind of sends the message of: "here's our failed rejects, wear it with pride."  I supposse that the ABU's would lend to better visibility though!

Thoughts? Go!

Where do you come up with this stuff?  And right now no the services are not going to a single pattern, the only thing on that is rumor mil on Capitol Hill about it.  A failed uniform, it has done what is was suppose to do outside of hiding the wearer.  There was more than one intended purpose when the ABU was designed and fielded.  I think you should do your homework a little bit more.

Angus

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 06, 2013, 07:46:38 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-approves-measure-to-have-military-branches-share-one-camouflage-pattern/2013/06/14/017700f6-d4ff-11e2-bc43-c404c3269c73_story.html

It's coming; the Army delayed announcing the replacement pattern for the ACU's.

Yes, there is talk about moving to a single uniform however that is years down the pipeline.  For the forseeable future there will still be all the different uniform combinations.  Also I find it interesting that for your proof you dig up a report from almost 3 months ago. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Blackhawk

Really, three months isn't that long ago in the scheme of Congressional action and military acquisitions?  If it were older, say 1-2 years or so...I'd find that more interesting.  But I digress, and so does the topic...ABU's, really?

Luis R. Ramos

ABUs really?

Really!

Asked and answered.

Who gives a whit cares if someone regards it as a "failed uniform?" The majority of those that will see us, will not know or care about that.

I would rather keep the BDU, the shirt and two pants I now use I bought almost 15 years ago and still fit me. But if the powers that be do decree we have to use the ABU, I will use it without problems.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Flying Pig

Headhunter, how old are you?

go4spaatz

This topic proves my signature line (partially)  8)
C/Capt Anand, CAP
OHWG CAC Vice-Chair

"There are an estimated ∞² threads about ABUs on CAPTalk"

PHall

The WaPo is not exactly a "trusted source".

skymaster

One possible "multi-service" camouflage uniform that has been mentioned is the MultiCam pattern. The Army, the Navy, and the Air Force already all make use of that specific uniform when working together on some joint operations as it is. And, apparently, the Air Force has taken a concept from the Civil Air Patrol side of things, in that they have AF personnel to wear full-colour patches when wearing this pattern stateside, as shown in this photo and caption from the Air Force's own Facebook page:

"AF Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III recently visited Eielson Air Force Base Force Base, Alaska, and was able to meet and interact with Airmen from around the base. He even took the opportunity to call the family of Airman 1st Class Matt Rainey, ultimately speaking to Rainey's girlfriend, directly thanking her for supporting her Airman." A1C Rainey is the airman wearing the "stateside" version of the MultiCam uniform in the photo.

SAREXinNY

Ok, so it has obviously been decided we are moving to ABU's...fine...is this in writing yet? I've checked the Regs and nothing has been updated.  Where did this info come from?

Garibaldi

Quote from: SAREXinNY on September 07, 2013, 02:13:16 AM
Ok, so it has obviously been decided we are moving to ABU's...fine...is this in writing yet? I've checked the Regs and nothing has been updated.  Where did this info come from?

This info was posted after the National Board/Conference. We are currently awaiting DoD approval. That will be the last hurdle. Expect a years-long phase-in period. The Regs will be updated once the move is final.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

Shock! Shock I tell you. The three star isn't waring sage green boots.

skymaster

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 07, 2013, 03:27:13 AM

Well, to be fair, he is a 3-star general, and general-grade officers have a bit more leeway in uniform wear. I did my undergraduate work at the military college that has the highest number of flag officers on active duty at any given time (North Georgia College and State University) than any other senior military college, and so we got used to seeing general officers visiting campus with uniform variations that definitely deviate quite a bit from the manual. Of course, if it were me, I would not tell my college classmates BG Bill Gayler or BG Joe Jarrard, or our former C.A.P. unit adviser "CPT" Terry (who is currently LTG Terry) that they were "out of uniform". Besides, that colour of medium brown boot is awfully close to the type worn with the MultiCams, so maybe he knows something that we don't about the likely selection of the new multi-service uniform...

PHall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 07, 2013, 03:27:13 AM

They look green to me. Just like the one's in my closet that were issued to me...

ol'fido

When you all get this all figured out, debated to death, pointed and counterpointed, rumored and proven, let me know. Otherwise, quit feeding the troll.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Blackhawk

Black boots are still the way to go.

cap235629

I propose we ditch the BDU/ABU and go with the BBDU for ALL members cadet and senior alike but retain the dress uniforms with a jacket for the fat and fuzzies.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SAREXinNY

I'm also a fan of the BBDUs, if only we didn't have to use those name tapes that glow in the dark.  I completely understand the need to be "distinctive" but since the USAF doesn't even have BBDUs (or BDUs for that matter) there shouldn't be an issue with having name tapes that actually look "good" with the uniform.