Main Menu

Ranger tab

Started by Brad, January 14, 2012, 06:25:53 PM

Duke Dillio

I'm still curious why the AF still has authority over a BDU uniform that they aren't wearing anymore...  According to the web, the BDU's were phased out Nov. 1, 2011...

a2capt

Because we're their Auxiliary ... and because it was an AF uniform not that long ago. 51 days or so. The ink isn't even dry yet.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: a2capt on January 22, 2012, 07:01:35 PM
Because we're their Auxiliary ...

Only part of the time. :(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NCRblues

Quote from: CyBorg on January 23, 2012, 01:46:35 AM
Quote from: a2capt on January 22, 2012, 07:01:35 PM
Because we're their Auxiliary ...

Only part of the time. :(

100% of the time...kind of...

There is always an AF mission going on someplace in the US of A, so.... Aux on
  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: GoneAway on January 22, 2012, 06:08:11 PM
I'm still curious why the AF still has authority over a BDU uniform that they aren't wearing anymore...  According to the web, the BDU's were phased out Nov. 1, 2011...

A) Because the AFI's that define our relationship say the USAF controls our uniforms.

2) Word from NB members is that NHQ has yet to submit a formal request to retire, replace, or augment the woodland BDU's.

C) There are still US military and uniformed services wearing woodland camo patterned BDU's (Navy and USPHSCC).

4) Because the AFI's that define our relationship say the USAF controls our uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2012, 01:58:14 AM
Quote from: GoneAway on January 22, 2012, 06:08:11 PM

A) Because the AFI's that define our relationship say the USAF controls our uniforms.

2) Word from NB members is that NHQ has yet to submit a formal request to retire, replace, or augment the woodland BDU's.

C) There are still US military and uniformed services wearing woodland camo patterned BDU's (Navy and USPS).

4) Because the AFI's that define our relationship say the USAF controls our uniforms.
The United States Postal Service wears BDU's? That is incredible! I think they can use them, after all those dogs are viscious! I kid, I kid

cpyahoo

Usually, we'll wear the "old uniform" 5 years or so after the USAF phases them out.  That's because they are still plentiful in DRMO.  Once the system is empty (or nearly empty), then the Air Force is pretty much "forced" to allow us to transition to the current uniform. Most of the distributors have exhausted their stocks and stopped making the uniforms.  Rate things are going, we'll be in the ABUs sooner than later.  All 4 branched of the military are seriously considering changing over to the Multi-cams.  Maybe CAP should make a pre-emptive move and go to the Multi-cams???  LOL

Eclipse

Quote from: Littleguy on January 23, 2012, 02:07:21 AM
The United States Postal Service wears BDU's? That is incredible! I think they can use them, after all those dogs are viscious! I kid, I kid

Corrected...

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 23, 2012, 02:09:00 AM
All 4 branched of the military are seriously considering changing over to the Multi-cams.  Maybe CAP should make a pre-emptive move and go to the Multi-cams???  LOL

As some have said cite please?  There has been not even a rumor of these through out the channels that I get my intel from on this.  Multi-Cam is more expensive than the other materials.  And per CMSAF last year ABUs were going to be around for awhile, with the introduction of a lighter version for all in the future.  And the only USPS folks I ever saw wearing BDUs were the mil folks doing it as a special duty.

PHall

Usually, we'll wear the "old uniform" 5 years or so after the USAF phases them out.  That's because they are still plentiful in DRMO.  Once the system is empty (or nearly empty), then the Air Force is pretty much "forced" to allow us to transition to the current uniform. Most of the distributors have exhausted their stocks and stopped making the uniforms.  Rate things are going, we'll be in the ABUs sooner than later.  All 4 branched of the military are seriously considering changing over to the Multi-cams.  Maybe CAP should make a pre-emptive move and go to the Multi-cams???  LOL

Not true. Some of our past uniform changes took place at the same time the Air Force was making the change.
Our change from the tan 1505's to the blue shirt (1550's) service uniform happened at the same time the Air Force did it and the switch from green fatigues to the BDU happened at the same time the Air Force was making the switch too.

The change from the BDU to the ABU is the first time, in my memory, that we haven't made the switch at about the same time the Air Force did.

Eclipse

There all sorts of news reports last year about DOD, GAO, and congressional study of a combined field uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

cpyahoo

Oh... kinda like when all the US Armed Forces went to woodland BDUs because "it was cheaper"?

abdsp51

Studies do not a decision make. IMO I think the powers to be should get the hot items taken care of first before wasting the time and money on uniform studies.

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2012, 02:21:15 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on January 23, 2012, 02:07:21 AM

Corrected...
I knew what you meant, and have done it that way before MANY times. I just like joking.

Eclipse

Quote from: Littleguy on January 23, 2012, 02:50:19 AM
I knew what you meant, and have done it that way before MANY times. I just like joking.

To live by the sword is to die by the sword!

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

All 4 branched of the military are seriously considering changing over to the Multi-cams. 

There are five branches of the military. 8)

Maybe CAP should make a pre-emptive move and go to the Multi-cams???  LOL

It would be better to ask the AF to make the BDU a CAP-distinctive uniform.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FW

Quote from: CyBorg on January 22, 2012, 02:20:42 PM
Colonel, most of what I notice about the uniform not being taken "seriously" has to do with (lately at least) what kind of clothing is worn with BDU's.  What on earth do we have to do to be "taken seriously?"  I think 20-odd years of being smoked for the actions of a few is quite enough.

Maybe when we stop appointing members to high positions who are not proud to wear the uniform correctly, can we get a more positive "response" from the Air Force.  I really don't have a better answer.  Culture change starts at the top.  As with anything else, members only follow what happens from above.

BTW; I never wore a ranger tab on my BDUs.... ;)

RogueLeader

Quote from: FW on January 23, 2012, 05:08:07 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 22, 2012, 02:20:42 PM
Colonel, most of what I notice about the uniform not being taken "seriously" has to do with (lately at least) what kind of clothing is worn with BDU's.  What on earth do we have to do to be "taken seriously?"  I think 20-odd years of being smoked for the actions of a few is quite enough.

Maybe when we stop appointing members to high positions who are not proud to wear the uniform correctly, can we get a more positive "response" from the Air Force.  I really don't have a better answer.  Culture change starts at the top.  As with anything else, members only follow what happens from above.

BTW; I never wore a ranger tab on my BDUs.... ;)

And see where that got you???   >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FW on January 23, 2012, 05:08:07 PM

Are we getting smoked on that because of the past National Commander whose one good achievement for CAP was the design of a truly attractive and well-liked CAP uniform, which was besmirched by the way he "introduced" it?  Is that going to be another 20-year (and counting) punishment the way the withdrawal of metal grade and blue epaulettes was?

Truly, though, how can we be expected to make the changes in culture you talk about when we don't know what the AF expects of us viz. wear of the AF uniform?  We speculate about such things ad nauseam on CT, but has anyone actually asked, in a respectful manner, what those terms and conditions are/would be?

My questions to the AF would be:

1. What could we have done better with the CSU?
2. Can we get a modification to the H/W standards to take body fat % into account, as the AF, ANG and AFRES do?
3. Why are State Defence Forces allowed to wear your uniform virtually unaltered, when we have to go out of the way to be "distinctive?"
4. Why does the only acceptable colour for CAP seem to be grey?
5. What would we have to do to merit the return of the privilege of wearing blue epaulettes (with "CAP" embroidery) and metal grade (with CAP cutouts)?

I don't imagine that anyone higher up the food chain than me is willing to ask those questions.

I would submit them myself if it didn't almost guarantee a 2B somewhere along the line.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Persona non grata

Heres my take on ABU'S

1. Too expensive
2. BLue BDU'S ARE CHEAPER (this miht be the only option after wood land).

My take on Ranger Tabs:

1. Good for you if you earned it(not an easy school)
2. Looks awful on the uniform(wear the HMRS patch)
3. Dont like the term Ranger(I think forest or US ARMY)
Just my two cents!
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........