Main Menu

Ranger tab

Started by Brad, January 14, 2012, 06:25:53 PM

I only challenge CAP rangers.  The others are legit.

From what I have learned from CAPTALK is the Hawk Mountain people pretty much do what they want outside of regulations - that is very anti-ranger.

A ranger is

1a : the keeper of a British royal park or forest
b : forest ranger
2: one that ranges
3a : one of a body of organized armed men who range over a region especially to enforce the law b : a soldier specially trained in close-range fighting and in raiding tactics

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: 754837 on May 02, 2012, 01:25:10 AM
I only challenge CAP rangers.  The others are legit.

From what I have learned from CAPTALK is the Hawk Mountain people pretty much do what they want outside of regulations - that is very anti-ranger.

A ranger is

1a : the keeper of a British royal park or forest
b : forest ranger
2: one that ranges
3a : one of a body of organized armed men who range over a region especially to enforce the law b : a soldier specially trained in close-range fighting and in raiding tactics

There is a lot more to an Army Ranger than that, I was not a Ranger, but I was trained and proficient in close quarters combat and raiding tactics. An Army Ranger is an elite disciplined soldier who is proficient in every aspect of his battalion as a whole, he is expected to be able to fill any role and fit any shoe that is thrust upon him. He is expected to have a courage like no other.

Now I was Light Infantry, I was highly trained and proficient in every task, I was expected to be able to fill any shoe in the battalion, but I was not a Ranger. I was highly motivated, and we were expected to be elite. We were the 506, we were expected to be the best, we were held to a higher standard because of our image that was displayed to the public, we are one of the best known and most recognized brigades in the military, we could not waive in dire circumstances. So is a Ranger really better or held to a higher standard than some Infantry units? NO, they are the same as every one else fighting and dying for our country. I know plenty of Rangers who admit and tell others that they are not better than the Infantry, they have just had the opportunity to show the Army that they are good at what they do.

If you have had the chance to prove that you are good at what you do, then wear your Ranger flash, it's not a tab, tabs have an arch, and wear it with pride, you have earned it. But don't be an exploitive deleted, because it makes you and exploited deleted, and no one pays attention to an exploitive deleted, you become deleted.

commando1

Number 1: I love how the post was from JANUARY and it just picked back up...
Number 2: I have met 1 (one) decent HMRS cadet who didn't have ranger on the brain
Number 3: What the heck is an exploitive? it sounds dangerous...
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2012, 01:45:33 AMBut don't be an exploitive deleted, because it makes you and exploited deleted, and no one pays attention to an exploitive deleted, you become deleted.
>:D
Non Timebo Mala

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: commando1 on May 02, 2012, 03:27:36 AM
Number 1: I love how the post was from JANUARY and it just picked back up...
Number 2: I have met 1 (one) decent HMRS cadet who didn't have ranger on the brain
Number 3: What the heck is an exploitive? it sounds dangerous...
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2012, 01:45:33 AMBut don't be an exploitive deleted, because it makes you and exploited deleted, and no one pays attention to an exploitive deleted, you become deleted.
>:D
In this case it refers to a cuss word that I wasn't going to say on CAPT so I wrote down deleted.

SarDragon

Oh, then you must have meant "expletive".   >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2012, 08:24:06 AM
Yes, I can't get my iPhone to accept exploitive.... See?

Spaceman3750

Is it worse to be explosive or exploitive?

ol'fido

Maybe we should ask is it better to be explosive or exploitive? >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

manfredvonrichthofen

Nice... I hate my iPhone, the worst part is it doesn't know my name and says it's wrong every time, but if I don't capitalize the p in iPhone, it sure as heck will.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2012, 01:06:24 PM
Nice... I hate my iPhone, the worst part is it doesn't know my name and says it's wrong every time, but if I don't capitalize the p in iPhone, it sure as heck will.

It should learn it eventually, mine learned mine pretty quickly.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 02, 2012, 01:07:48 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2012, 01:06:24 PM

It should learn it eventually, mine learned mine pretty quickly.
I sure hope so, I am tired of Killion turning into foil lion.

SarDragon

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2012, 12:09:22 PM

Let me guess - your fruit fone won't let you turn off autocorrect. Samsung to the rescue!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2012, 05:32:58 PM

Let me guess - your fruit fone won't let you turn off autocorrect. Samsung to the rescue!
Yes... As soon as my time comes up I'm trading this junk in.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2012, 05:54:07 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2012, 05:32:58 PM

Yes... As soon as my time comes up I'm trading this junk in.

You can turn it off under General -> Keyboard.

Jamie Hurley

I know this has drifted pretty far off topic, but here's a reference from those who may not have seen it yet. Its an interim change letter to 39-1 from the national commander, dated March 12, 2012, and it specifically addresses the issue at hand.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2012_03_12_Uniform_Manual_EDA9CCE9FE03A.pdf
National Drill Team Champion 2006 & 2008
Spaatz 1644

sarmed1

I only challenge CAP rangers.  The others are legit........

Just wondering:  what do you challenge them on? Like a boy scout thing: "...ah I see you have a knife,  let me see you tote-m-chit card...."

or the validity of a CAP recognized program and the titles that go with the achievements it awards.... including the wearing of a patch for the uniform that the National commander (and the National Board for that matter) authorized?

mk

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Jamie Hurley on May 02, 2012, 06:11:13 PM
I know this has drifted pretty far off topic, but here's a reference from those who may not have seen it yet. Its an interim change letter to 39-1 from the national commander, dated March 12, 2012, and it specifically addresses the issue at hand.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2012_03_12_Uniform_Manual_EDA9CCE9FE03A.pdf

Most of what General Carr says here is just a culling of things that have been in effect for some time.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Nathan

Quote from: sarmed1 on May 03, 2012, 01:57:54 PM
I only challenge CAP rangers.  The others are legit........

Just wondering:  what do you challenge them on? Like a boy scout thing: "...ah I see you have a knife,  let me see you tote-m-chit card...."

or the validity of a CAP recognized program and the titles that go with the achievements it awards.... including the wearing of a patch for the uniform that the National commander (and the National Board for that matter) authorized?

mk

The reason that people come down so hard on self-designated "rangers" is due to to the elitism that such titles tend to produce. Individuals from COS have no such designation, nor do graduates from NESA, and so forth. The concept that the training at Hawk somehow warrants a title that distinguishes Hawk graduates from other members is a little insulting to the many other activities out there, some of which are arguably more in-line with the mission of the cadet program than Hawk is.

I really don't care one way or the other if Hawk guys want to call themselves rangers on the mountain, the same way I didn't really care that people at NBB called themselves "berets" (weird) when I went in 2004. But that title doesn't mean much outside of the activity, outside of letting me know what activities this individual has attended, and most people don't see why many Hawk grads insist on trying to differentiate themselves from everyone else in CAP by taking on a title due to their attendence in just one NSCA of a great many available.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

lordmonar

So?

Again, what's the problem with elitism (in moderation)?

If the title doesn't mean anything....then just ignore it.  By attacking those who embrase the title...you are only reinforcing the fact that the title does mean something.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Nathan

Yeah, I'm not going to get into this debate again. Someone asked a question, and I answered why people react the way they do to the "ranger" title.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.