eServices announcement about ABUs

Started by Tim Medeiros, December 28, 2011, 10:52:26 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: ZigZag911 on January 16, 2012, 07:05:15 PM
I believe gray is mentioned often because it is a color we already use; also, because none of the regular US military services wear gray uniforms (West Point cadets have gray uniforms, I believe).

The Navy used it in WWII.  A lot of police departments use it.

My point: We didn't always use it.  Prior to 1995, I believe it was IACE and the old "plain" G/W uniform, and that was it.  Once the grey epaulettes and nameplate were established, it seemed like there wasn't anything in the CAP that wouldn't be "greyable" somehow.

You are correct; West Point cadets do wear grey uniforms.

Quote from: ZigZag911 on January 16, 2012, 07:05:15 PM
I've suggested khaki/tan in the past, especially since it is a CAP and USAF 'heritage' uniform color.

I would be all for that, pinks and greens.  But the grey zealots are too firmly entrenched.

Why, in all the known universe, can't we have at least a splash of colour with it if it's got to be grey?  Blue airline-type shirts, for example?  As I've said before...the USAF does not hold the copyright on all shades of blue!

This shirt, with grey uniform pants, and the existing grey epaulettes/nameplate...you'd have to be looking for reasons to say "that's too similar!  eeek!"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

rustyjeeper

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 16, 2012, 08:31:47 PM
One of these things is not like the other.  Seriously I am surprised that you have not been counseled on this.  And this comment  "I bet you are just jealous that you aren't wearing ABUs in CAP." is way out of line.  Currently ABUs are not authorized for CAP and your unit CC does not trump those above him.  I would expect to see that someone will probably be notifying your CC about your conduct.

My guess is that if the information presented is correct there will be TWO and not just one counselling reports filed :angel:

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 16, 2012, 08:31:47 PM
One of these things is not like the other.  Seriously I am surprised that you have not been counseled on this.  And this comment  "I bet you are just jealous that you aren't wearing ABUs in CAP." is way out of line.  Currently ABUs are not authorized for CAP and your unit CC does not trump those above him.  I would expect to see that someone will probably be notifying your CC about your conduct.

Everything abdsp51 said.

It doesn't have a bloody thing to do with "jealousy."  I am bitter that the CSU was killed, and I am still bitter after almost 20 years that we got blue epaulettes/metal grade taken away.  But I am not going to shoot the bird at the regs by continuing to wear them.

Why on earth did you shell out money, or have someone shell out for you, for a uniform you cannot legally wear with CAP insignia?  I think Canadian CADPAT digital camouflage looks really cool, but I would be a blithering idiot to shell out for a set of those and put CAP insignia on it.

If you've got aspirations toward the Armed Forces, you'll have to learn double quick on your first day of basic training that you cannot wear just what you want and flout the regs.

If you were in my unit, counselling would definitely be in order...and since my unit meets on an ANG base, you would be fortunate to have a CAP officer doing it rather than running into some SMSgt with that getup on.

I really hope your CC is being made aware of this.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Basher

My CC will know about it very soon. I have actually only worn it to one meeting. My CC probably just had some weird kind of misunderstanding about whether or not we could wear them. I didn't know that they weren't authorized until I looked on this website.
Sergeant Pain

abdsp51

I'd be worried about the SSgt/TSgt that is old eagle eyes that would see that and raise hell about it.  The cadet has displayed a gross lack of judgement in his decision making capability and needs a heavy duty brain to mouth filter.  Any CC should know what is an authorized uniform combination or not.  And being a C/Officer I am surprised he did not take the time to do the homework himself as to whether or not ABUs were authorized.  If I was a member I'd definitely be having a talk with him about his lack of judgement.

Basher

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 16, 2012, 08:54:52 PM
I'd be worried about the SSgt/TSgt that is old eagle eyes that would see that and raise hell about it.  The cadet has displayed a gross lack of judgement in his decision making capability and needs a heavy duty brain to mouth filter.  Any CC should know what is an authorized uniform combination or not.  And being a C/Officer I am surprised he did not take the time to do the homework himself as to whether or not ABUs were authorized.  If I was a member I'd definitely be having a talk with him about his lack of judgement.
I certainly will be having a conversation about it with my CC.
Sergeant Pain

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Basher on January 16, 2012, 08:23:58 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2012, 08:11:14 PM
Nice try:

http://stillwatercap.weebly.com/squadron-blog.html

"Tuesday's Meeting (1.10.12)
01/10/2012
0 Comments

The uniform is BDUs tonight. Shine your boots and iron your uniform. We will be going over emergency services.

Now, can we get back to ignoring this nonsense?
To answer your question, I bought the ABUs because my squadron commander said that our squadron could wear ABUs. I am the only one in my squadron that has them though. It says BDUs on the website because that is what everybody else is still wearing. I bet you are just jealous that you aren't wearing ABUs in CAP.

Before pounding too hard on Basher, if his statement is correct and if in fact his Squadron Commander did authorize them it is not his fault. Having a face to face discussion with his command would be appropriate action to take having learned here that it is NOT allowed.
There is a distinct possibility that someone higher within his unit than he put out bad information.
Somehow I doubt after the thrashing that Basher has gotten here that the ABU will be his uniform of choice to attend his next meeting in 8)

We ALL know that some members march to their own tune at times and in this instance I can only hope that it was an honest misunderstanding.

abdsp51

Possible, but when you are the only one wearing them should be an indicator.  And the jealous comment, way out of line, for a cadet especially one indicating he is a cadet officer.  Is it possible bad info maybe but shouldn't a unit cc know whats authorized for wear and what's not?

RogueLeader

Just got done talking to the recent OK/WG IG.  He has made clear that NO unit commanders have ever authorized that uniform, as they have no authority to do so.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Basher

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 16, 2012, 09:36:15 PM
Just got done talking to the recent OK/WG IG.  He has made clear that NO unit commanders have ever authorized that uniform, as they have no authority to do so.
Well, I'm just stating facts. My unit CC specifically told me that our squadron could wear ABUs. Unfortunately, I did not check around on the web about the regs until after I had bought my ABUs and worn them to a meeting.
Sergeant Pain

RogueLeader

Quote from: Basher on January 16, 2012, 09:42:17 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on January 16, 2012, 09:36:15 PM
Well, I'm just stating facts. My unit CC specifically told me that our squadron could wear ABUs. Unfortunately, I did not check around on the web about the regs until after I had bought my ABUs and worn them to a meeting.

So am I.

All you have to do is say that you are wrong, and made a mistake.  we won't hold that against you.  If you don't, you look like a fool, and we really don't want that.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

rustyjeeper

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 16, 2012, 09:32:11 PM
Possible, but when you are the only one wearing them should be an indicator.  And the jealous comment, way out of line, for a cadet especially one indicating he is a cadet officer.  Is it possible bad info maybe but shouldn't a unit cc know whats authorized for wear and what's not?

Posted by: RogueLeader
« on: Today at 04:36:15 PM »Insert Quote

------------
rustyjeeper-
Well, I would say that the meeting this week should be most interesting for Basher when he arrives to discuss the uniform issues >:D
Talk about "poking the the hornets nest" - he didnt use a stick to do it- he used both arms and legs....... :o

Basher

Sergeant Pain

abdsp51

More along the lines of a baseball bat.  Rule of thumb see it in writing, it will have you a whole slew of headaches and gives you much more solid footing to stand on. 

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Basher on January 16, 2012, 09:47:01 PM
You can say that again. :-[

No need to I actually feel badly for you. I would suggest printing off a copy of this entire post and bringing it with you so as to be prepared for the firing squad. Hopefully the commander accepts responsibility if in fact he made the mistake. If you misunderstood, apologize and learn from the mistake and move on....
Good Luck!

titanII

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 16, 2012, 09:53:16 PM
I would suggest printing off a copy of this entire post and bringing it with you so as to be prepared
Or just remind your CC that it doesn't state anywhere in CAPM 39-1 (the OFFICIAL Uniform Manual for CAP) that ABU's are allowed under ANY circumstances.
No longer active on CAP talk

abdsp51

Quote from: titanII on January 16, 2012, 10:01:59 PM
I would suggest printing off a copy of this entire post and bringing it with you so as to be prepared
Or just remind your CC that it doesn't state anywhere in CAPM 39-1 (the OFFICIAL Uniform Manual for CAP) that ABU's are allowed under ANY circumstances.

Reminding one's CC of something when said something landed you in hot water is not a recommended course of action.  Now if the CC messed up with the alleged statement then he bares a brunt of it however this may come off as being snotty.

rustyjeeper

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 16, 2012, 10:09:58 PM
Quote from: titanII on January 16, 2012, 10:01:59 PM

Reminding one's CC of something when said something landed you in hot water is not a recommended course of action.  Now if the CC messed up with the alleged statement then he bares a brunt of it however this may come off as being snotty.

The last thing you want is to appear to be "snotty" BUT if you were told it was in fact authorized stick to your guns and simply state the facts. An apology for having acted improperly as well, would be in order. In one of the earlier posts it was said that the SC was the one to say it was okay and not the CC and since now the IG has been made aware of the issue I am sure that this meeting will be done in private with his participation- since it is now in the "spotlight" it wont be a simple chat and someone is going to need to accept responsibility.

abdsp51

Rustyjeeper, I agree with you on stating facts and sticking to guns.  If a CC did in fact say that then it's on him for the cadet wearing said uniform.  There is a time to stick to your guns and a time to retreat,  IMHO the cadet would be better advised to discuss the issue and his behavior in regards to it and retreat.  I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he does not act this way within his unit or towards his own SM however if and that is a big IF that this is normal for him then then the action would only add fuel to an already hot fire.